Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond or Lap sealant ?

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer

So I just screwed up and let the water hose rub the edge of the roof !!:M:M
It's kind of a bad spot, what would you guys use for repair? I've got some Eternabond here, but no Lap.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
11 REPLIES 11

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up just putting a piece of Eternabond on it. Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this will keep someone else from making my ignorant mistake.
I swear, I think 99% of the problems I have with campers are self induced!

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

BadDogPSD
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
I'd put some lap sealant on the holes and allow to dry. Then, top it off with Eternabond. You shouldn't have to worry about it for a long, long time!

This is what I would do...
2013 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4
2014 Desert Fox 24AS

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd put some lap sealant on the holes and allow to dry. Then, top it off with Eternabond. You shouldn't have to worry about it for a long, long time!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Bull Rider wrote:
I also noticed that there was a wear spot directly under our folding TV antenna. The bottom of the antenna was starting to wear a hole into the roof membrane from road vibration.

I reinforced that area with a strip of 4" Eternabond tape. Now the antenna rides on the reinforced area. It's something that you won't notice unless you raise the antenna and look for wear spots.

When our 2001 alpenlite was new I saw how the wear from the antenna could rub the roof so I bought a rubber roof patch that had a plastic paper backing and cut some squares to so as you did. I think this was before Eternabond was available. My patch is thicker but I carry a 2" Eternabond strip maybe 10 ft long just for what ever or who ever could need this fine product.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that with a ladder. Just prep the area and drop on some self leveling Dicor and you are done permanently.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I also noticed that there was a wear spot directly under our folding TV antenna. The bottom of the antenna was starting to wear a hole into the roof membrane from road vibration.

I reinforced that area with a strip of 4" Eternabond tape. Now the antenna rides on the reinforced area. It's something that you won't notice unless you raise the antenna and look for wear spots.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Yep you sure can, leave it to me to cause damage to something simply by washing it. That's a very sharp edge right there, so it didn't take much, especially with a heavy hose. I THOUGHT it was laying on the step ladder I had set up.
Oh well....live and learn!

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I take it you were washing the roof?

That is a hotly debated subject around here. At one time, Dicor specifically frowned on the practice... It was on the FAQ of their website. They did say that if you really wanted to, that Murphys (IIRC) was OK to use.
But people kept wanting to do it, and Dicor saw a Buisiness opportunity... They now sell roof cleaner, and reccomend frequent roof washing.

Of note here: Dicor doesn't make the roof material. It is made for them by Carlise. Carlise makes it for the commercial building market. On the Carlise website, they state that roof washing is NOT necessary.

I always thought that even though I don't wash it, that it was a harmless activity for those that did... In fact it may even let them find areas that need maintainence while they were doing it...
Well I guess I was wrong. One can actually damage a roof when washing it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
+2 by me for Eternabond!!!
Just be sure to follow the directions to prep the area properly to get a good bond. Plus, the wood roller makes the seal pressure needed much easier.

And YES, to all seams and around all openings. It will be time well spent now to avoid problems in the future
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
And while you are at it get enough to do the entire perimeter edges and around all openings.I have done that on every RV I have owned and if new it is part of the deal with the dealer.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
That is a perfect spot for 4" Eternabond.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro