cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europeon 220 converter used with N American truck alternator

retiredgeologis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, Recently had a new 55 amp converter installed in my TC for my new 4 100 amp hour lithium batts. They put in an European model by mistake that only takes the 220 used in Europe. not going to Paris any time soon. Until replacement comes in I know I cannot plug into 120 but was wondering ifthe alternator in my 94 f350 7.3 L diesel would charge batts in the meantime. Since Europe uses 12 volt batts I was thinking the converter would work with the Ford. Thanks much for any ideas.
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bump for the stump from Kentucky.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
OP The alternator is designed for flooded batteries and will take extended time to charge the lithium batteries. Is that OK? The usual method is to use a gen or a DC to DC charger or solar designed for lithium batteries. And of course the converter when you have shore power . . .
sch911 wrote:
You truck probably already does charge the camper's battery. The charge line is in the 7 way connection.
IMO, it's more about voltage than battery chemistry. Our truck's alternator consistently produces 14.3v to 14.4v. That'll charge a lifepo4 very quickly and to 100% SOC. Those with alternators that produce <14.0v, agree, charging a lifepo4 will be slower, but it'll still manage near 100% SOC.

If the OP has plans to run a dedicated, larger gauge wire/cable from the alternator to the batteries to charge them, he/she should see some significant charge current. If the OP has plans to charge using the 7-pin connector, charging will be very slow (typically only 5-10a of charge current).

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is in most installations, no ground. It is like our out of date three phase Delta three phase.
European power diagram
I asked for make and model of the converter installed as many designed and built in Europe have a switch to change to 220 volt. It is also seen on the back of some of the older computer system power supplies. Some are rated 50-60 cycle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not disconnect or modify anything, keep the responsibilty on the installation and not the customer. I would make sure they are aware that it's being driven/used. Don't really know what that means as they already installed the wrong unit.

OK Educate me as I'm not up to speed on European power. US houses and CGs use a single center tapped (neutral) secondary transformer winding resulting in 120/240V power with a 4th ground wire, 60Hz.

Is Europe a single 230V secondary winding with a 3rd ground wire, 50Hz?

Wondering if delta or wye make any difference to the end user?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Voltage is not the only difference in European power. Frequency is 50 cycles. It is a delta configuration and not wye configuration as in North America.
Reason I said to disconnect power to installed incorrect converter is to prevent damaging it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
If you do decide to charge from the truck alternator you should disconnect the charging after the batteries are fully charged as lithium batteries should not be continually charge after full charge . Another temporary alternative would be to use an extension chord to the present converter ( if it is lithium compatible ) to a 220v outlet in your house . You may need adapters to the European plug .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You truck probably already does charge the camper's battery. The charge line is in the 7 way connection.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP The alternator is designed for flooded batteries and will take extended time to charge the lithium batteries. Is that OK? The usual method is to use a gen or a DC to DC charger or solar designed for lithium batteries. And of course the converter when you have shore power.

Ask them to loan you a portable lithium converter until the correct one is installed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The converter is not part of the truck charging function and will not cause an issue and will not be harmed.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is make and model of installed converter?
You should be able to get by using truck alternator to charge the batteries. I would disconnect both input and output of the installed converter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow