cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust time

jagocampers
Explorer
Explorer
It's getting to be that time. Looking at new exhaust for my 2006 Ford F250 Crew Cab short box 4x4. It has the 6.0l Powerstroke Diesel in it. I am wondering what others are using. Looking for something that isn't overly loud or have a drone at highway speeds. We tend to tow for long periods (10-12 hrs a day) so I don't feel like listening to it drone on and on. Looked at replacing with all Motorcraft parts, but the cost of the muffler alone would pay for a new stainless steel exhaust. I know the Cummins and Duramax sound different so looking from feedback from 6.0 Powerstroke owners.
Thank you,
Shane
27 REPLIES 27

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
houstonstroker wrote:
I know that this is apples to oranges, but on my 7.3 I installed a Walker Big Turbo Muffler. No noticeable sound difference and if I remember correctly it was fairly cheap. I had drone one time with a Chevy Suburban big block and I will never forget it.

i don't know the difference but I put as Walker big truck muffler on my 7.3 and the drone was very annoying to me.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this is apples to oranges, but on my 7.3 I installed a Walker Big Turbo Muffler. No noticeable sound difference and if I remember correctly it was fairly cheap. I had drone one time with a Chevy Suburban big block and I will never forget it.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
My 08 Duramax has a 4" MBRP turbo back system. The system can definitely be heard driving down the interstate. My brother has another system on a Duramax that is whisper quite. Personal preference and your driving partner will dictate which system......quite or cool ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

jagocampers
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, just asked for opinions about a new exhaust. Not to be berated for what I drive. It's my choice, my money my vehicle. I have owned 3 Dodge Ram 1500s over the years and made the switch to Ford (returning to the brand of my first new vehicle). I am driving it because it is paid for. Even if I have to stick some money into it from time to time it's still cheaper than a payment on a new one. I can't afford to change vehicles every time something may not go my way.
Besides it is a machine with moving parts. Each part has the potential to fail over time. I work on industrial equipment every day, when something fails we do not replace an entire press, we repair it.
Sorry back to the topic. Haven't made up my mind yet on exhaust. Still doing some research.
Thanks for all the input though.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
#40Fan wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
carl2591 wrote:
jagocampers wrote:
It's getting to be that time. Looking at new exhaust for my 2006 Ford F250 Crew Cab short box 4x4. It has the 6.0l Powerstroke Diesel in it. I am wondering what others are using. Looking for something that isn't overly loud or have a drone at highway speeds. We tend to tow for long periods (10-12 hrs a day) so I don't feel like listening to it drone on and on. Looked at replacing with all Motorcraft parts, but the cost of the muffler alone would pay for a new stainless steel exhaust. I know the Cummins and Duramax sound different so looking from feedback from 6.0 Powerstroke owners.
Thank you,
Shane

with a 6.0L ford i would not worry about the exhaust till the head bolts had been replaced, the EGR delete done and the other stuff needed to make a 6.0 a bullet proof engine.

Now you may have done all that so you are good.

http://powerstrokehelp.com/6liter/nightmare/1of2.asp check out this video by bill hewett in atlanta ga.
So you think he should do all that because his exhaust rusted out? Think again.

My first thought....the first response would be "why are you still driving a 6.0"? Second thought, after reading all of these responses, is why has no one asked why he is still driving a 6.0.

Third and final thought....If the exhaust is in need of replacement, why is he still driving a 6.0?
I like many others here drive our 6.0's because they run good and not all were junk.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
carl2591 wrote:
jagocampers wrote:
Thank you,
Shane

with a 6.0L ford i would not worry about the exhaust till the head bolts had been replaced, the EGR delete done and the other stuff needed to make a 6.0 a bullet proof engine.

http://powerstrokehelp.com/6liter/nightmare/1of2.asp check out this video by bill hewett in atlanta ga.

My first thought....the first response would be "why are you still driving a 6.0"? Second thought, after reading all of these responses, is why has no one asked why he is still driving a 6.0.

Third and final thought....If the exhaust is in need of replacement, why is he still driving a 6.0?
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
carl2591 wrote:
jagocampers wrote:
Thank you,
Shane

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The muffler on my Suburban rusted out, and you can't buy a muffler from GM...it comes as part of the "assembly" that includes the right CAT, front pipe and some other stuff for the bargain price of just under $2000.

I did a ton of research on this because I didn't want anything that droned while towing, so I finally went with Flo-Pro Exhaust. Their tech support was very helpful, pointed me in the right direction to make sure I got the muffler that matched the stock sound. Got it online for $150 and paid the local muffler shop $150 to weld it in. They have some models for your truck, you should give them a look before you pull the trigger.

jagocampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Still looking and haven't pulled the trigger yet. Looking at Banks Monster exhaust, MBRP, Gibson, and Diamond Eye. Now just to make a choice.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dodge with a Cummins and have used this website with great luck. I just installed a turbo back stainless exhaust with muffler. Here's a link for your Ford. May be worth a look

http://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/cat-exhaust-systems1.cfm
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
jagocampers wrote:
Thank you,
Shane

Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I think my entire gibson system was about $400 and came with the type of bends that many prefer for a free flow system. The hardest part was the turbo connection as you need to be on top to get it set up so I was abler to get a lift at the local mil car shop and put it up and down easily. As to straight pipes and quiet I cant tell ya, but I know if yo have a dodge (not in this case) it will drive ya nutsw in no time. So if going to replace get a good aluminized system unless you live in high salt area then consider the pricer stainless, but even then an aluminized will last a long time.

tim_and_amy
Explorer
Explorer
1. Look on Amazon for the kits. they are very well priced

2. The ford 6.0L, PICKUP even straight piped is nowhere near as loud as a cummins or duramax.

3. You have a 2006, this means it has 3 extra vanes in the turbo, which is why they are quieter.

4. The Cat on the 6.0L and the Air Filter are the best you can get. No reason to replace them unless they are plugged. I bring up the airfilter because guys will swap in K&n boxes and not realize they didn't get anymore flow.

5. On the 6.0L the Muffler is the restriction, so even just a Cat back exhaust will yield a nice improvement in torque.

6. The 6.0L, even straight piped doesn't drone unless you are under a load that requires your truck to be in a lower gear. My F350 is straight piped and unless you get on it hard, you don't really hear the exhaust. This is what many younger guys complain about with Ford Trucks. They want them to be loud like the GM and Ram's but because of the Turbo design they just are not loud.

7. If you look on Amazon you will find only a couple of kits, but I'm telling you, for a Ford, if you do a Cat back only, you are under $400 delivered to your door.

8. If you want to "bolt" on an exhaust then yes, buy a kit, but know this, you will need to get out the trusty sawzall to take the factory one out, Yes, You can get the pipe clamps loose, but the pipes may not come apart with out some work. FYI, if you spray Wd40 or such in the seams they do come apart easier.
You can have a local exhaust shopt do an exhaust for way cheaper, and also, you don't have to buy a muffler or cat from them, you can bring it in and just have them fab up the exhaust system. But your choice.
2012 Kodiak 300BHSL Ultimate with Fall Edition Package
2003 Ford Excursion V10 Sold!!
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I am running a Gibson turbo back on my 04 f350 w/6.0. Quiet and effective. Dont know about HP claims for any muffler system, but with a cat in the system its hard to tell.

A lot of systems have name brand recognition, and tha tis what you do end up paying for. This 2d gibson system I installed on a pickup, trying now to get one of their mufflers for our rv.