cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior water spigot leak-shutoff valve?

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from a six day trip that involved two lakes, visiting Bodie, and no success at all fishing, trying everything in the book.

My camper is a 1994, so obviously it's showing some age by now. From what I have seen, it looks like Fleetwood modeled everything they did after whatever size Lance Camper it resembles. There is an exterior water spigot in front of the passenger "skirt" or whatever you'd call it, where the truck bed ends and the camper continues for another three feet. This spigot has been brittle since I bought the camper and this trip it has started to crack badly enough that it has started to leak. Not a lot, but drips once every few seconds.

I came back home today, and have a test for a job tomorrow, then right after I'm done with that, I'm off again until Sunday. What I need to know from anyone that owns a similar Lance, or Fleetwood, or whatever has a water spigot on the outside, is if there is an interior shutoff valve so I can keep my water for the weekend and not lose the whole tank on the ground?

I hope I've described what I'm talking about good enough to get some suggestions. I have ordered a new spigot, and I unscrewed the old one very carefully, just enough to pull it out and see that the back of the spigot is a plastic barb going into maybe 1/2" flexible hose.

If there is no shutoff to speak of, does anyone have any ideas of something I could shove on the hose for the weekend to plug the hose off altogether? I can run by the hardware store tomorrow before I leave. I just can't think right now.

I also had to order a new escape hatch cover because mine flew off somewhere over the Donner Summit Saturday morning. If I can stretch this thing out for another year without completely falling apart, I can buy a nice newer camper with electric jacks and all that cool stuff.

Thanks
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
8 REPLIES 8

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
getpower1 wrote:
I can imagine it won't be difficult to do, but it also won't be here for a couple of days. No camping world near me or where I will be going, so I will have to wait for the part. If by some chance it's a standard hardware store item, I'll pick it up and replace it.

I may see about folding the hose over. Didn't seem like I could pull a lot of it out to be able to do that. I've also not had a lot of great success in things sealing very well when folded over only once, hence the length issue.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think about trying that, and that's what I may try to do.

The amount of slack depends on what the camper builder left. My Outfitter had about 6 or so inches I could pull outside the camper.

I think you can find the spigot (they are generic) at Walmart in their RV section.

On Edit: To be precise there is a generic replacement that comes trim to fit for the proper tubing size.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Jefe:

I never thought of pulling out the leaver and lubing it. Good idea. Next on my list...

Even Home depot sells Camco RV drain valves:

here-->

It may or may not be available in your local store...check on the Web first...but probably every RV parts store will have them in stock.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I had to change the fresh water drain valve that was drippig in my Wolf Creek. I searched all over the internet, nothing. took valve into local RV dealer (not wolf creek), they had one in stock :).
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Then there's the obvious. Just let it drip slowly until you get back home and have some time. In your travels, or on your personal electronic device, look for an RV shop that carries the correct barbed shut off valve. I assumed they were all the same when mine went south and bought the 3/8's" version, but mine is actually a smaller bore. Just know that a valve that has been on for decades will have a built up crust and may have to be cut off.
Now about some maintenance. My RV guru told me to pull the valve top right out at the end of every trip and lube it with vaseline petroleum jelly. If not lubed they do get stiff; stiff enough to break off the flimsy little handle. How would I know? I have not replaced the handle yet and it is easy enough to just finger turn the broken stub end.
Another thought is to use some new-age glue. Gorilla has one that claims to stick to anything. I have used it inside the camper to attach foil backed insulation to glass windows with success. The valve is toast anyway, so might as well make it one piece - no moving parts.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Steve in 29 wrote:
The valve takes all of 5 minutes to swap out.

I agree with Steve. I replaced our fresh water tank drain spigot in just a few minutes. You'll just need that $3 spigot (buy 2 more + pipe clamps while you're at it at your nearest RV parts store) and some bedding caulk (I used 3M 4200 through-the-hull marine bedding compound) available at most hardware stores.

I had enough water tube inside the camper to pull out about 1.5 inches of slack. The only problem I had was: I had to cut the plastic water pipe at the spigot barb, because the tiny metal pipe clamp had a patina of oxidation, and I didn't want to chance destroying too much of my 1.5 inches of slack LOL! Make sure you have a pipe clamp to retain the water pipe to the new spigot barb (available at the RV parts store nearest you). Our water pipe at the barb end was in excellent condition, and not brittle at all. Make sure you verify yours.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Hardware store should have some hose barb fittings that would fit. May have to mcgiver, female adapter with cap etc., anything to plug it. Piece of dowel or rod, shouldn't take much no pressure only weight of water. Could even pull the valve and glue it solid or plug.

Unless you have extra hose length, Id advise caution folding and crimping, work but would be my last resort given the age of hose?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
I can imagine it won't be difficult to do, but it also won't be here for a couple of days. No camping world near me or where I will be going, so I will have to wait for the part. If by some chance it's a standard hardware store item, I'll pick it up and replace it.

I may see about folding the hose over. Didn't seem like I could pull a lot of it out to be able to do that. I've also not had a lot of great success in things sealing very well when folded over only once, hence the length issue.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think about trying that, and that's what I may try to do.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
The valve takes all of 5 minutes to swap out.

If you can't do that then remove the valve, fold the hose over itself to kink it off and clamp/tape it in place.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold