Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

f150 specs-what do I need

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Been lurking here for a few years. Have never been able to make peace with a 3/4 ton TV since it's needed as a daily driver.

Looking at some f150's for hubby to use daily, but can tow. Will make some concessions on size and weight for TT. Maybe something around 5000lbs? Just looking for a towable bathroom and bed, living space isn't important as we like to spend time outside anyway.

What am I looking for in specs? I've included some specs below for a TV we are looking at. Dealer says about 2360 payload. There are 6 of us but we will be taking 2 vehicles to camp, since the kids are all older and almost out of the house.

Is this lacking anything we need? What all am I looking for for towing? How can I figure out WHAT this could tow?

Thanks for any input you have! Cyndi

7000# GVWR Package
3.55 Electronic Lock RR axle
Pro Trailer Backup Assist
Max Towing Pkg
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Mirror Man/Tele Fold with Pwr glass
275/65R 18 Owl All Terrain
3.5 v6 Ecoboost
Rear View Camera
2016 4x4 Supercrew
145" Wheelbase
Elec 6-speed Auto w/tow mod

I think I included everything important???
47 REPLIES 47

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Just had to add some input on the Eco-Boost fuel economy. In my Explorer, I average around 19mpg, this is on my commute which is 40 miles round trip... not deep in the city, but still plenty of lights to stop at, with some highway. All highway, like say on a roadtrip, I made it up to about 23.

In our old F-150 (2013) with the EB, the best we did was 24mpg, with a strong tailwind, driving from Rock Springs, WY, to Denver on I-80. Around town driving was probably 17-18. Down to 9-10 while towing a large toy hauler travel trailer (which I do not recommend doing with an f-150)
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would be getting max tow AND max payload packages. Custom order if dealer cannot find one.

Heavy Duty paylaod package requires the Max Tow.

If you get max payload you are also limited on many options depending on the trim level.
Jeep and Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would be getting max tow AND max payload packages. Custom order if dealer cannot find one.

Heavy Duty paylaod package requires the Max Tow.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Keep the trim level reasonable and you can get into a diesel HD truck for what many spend on half tons. That way you get extra capability and good fuel economy. I don't find my truck uncomfortable at all as a daily driver.

x2.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the the 3.5 Ecoboost was the key; not only for the fuel economy as a daily driver, but also still has good capability as a tow vehicle. You can't get the 3.5 Ecoboost in a 3/4 ton.

But beyond that, you ain't touching a F250 diesel for anywhere near the same price as a comparable (similarly trimmed and optioned) F150 Ecoboost.

Yeah with the same options the diesel will run you more. But you can get a Powerstroke in a basic trim for what the average F150 sells for (about $46k if I'm remembering right). I prefer more truck with less fluff but opinions vary on that.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Keep the trim level reasonable and you can get into a diesel HD truck for what many spend on half tons. That way you get extra capability and good fuel economy. I don't find my truck uncomfortable at all as a daily driver.

x2.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the the 3.5 Ecoboost was the key; not only for the fuel economy as a daily driver, but also still has good capability as a tow vehicle. You can't get the 3.5 Ecoboost in a 3/4 ton.

But beyond that, you ain't touching a F250 diesel for anywhere near the same price as a comparable (similarly trimmed and optioned) F150 Ecoboost.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
We'll See wrote:
That specific f150 won’t have 2,360 pounds of payload but will probably be around 1,700. A little more if xlt and no sunroof, a little less if lariat with sunroof. That is a great truck and would easily handle up to a 7,000 pound loaded trailer without running into payload problems unless there is five heavy people in the cab and the bed is loaded with stuff.

Have to disagree here. I had a Platinum with every single option available and it was about 1,800 of payload. An XLT would have to be much better, even with the sunroof.

OP - if you can find one without the sunroof the payload is bound to be about 2k.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
As for payload it is likely no more than 1700lbs unless you get the Max Payload package and most dealers have no idea how to tell if a particular F150 has that but they love to quote the figures for it as if all F150s come with this very rare option. First clue, if it does not have the 6.5ft bed on the Crewcab or the 8ft bed on the Supercab it does not have the max payload package. Second, if it does not have the 3.73 rear end it does not have the max payload package but that can be hard to check in a used truck. All trucks with max payload package will have a GVWR listed on the door sticker in excess of 8,000lbs. That is easy to check if you can open the door.

That said, I have a 2016 equipped much like the one you are looking at and would have no reservations about pulling that trailer providehd that you have the proper hitch and good trailer brakes.

Just to clarify, the F150 Ecoboost have a MAX TOW Package and the HD PAYLOAD Package.

My 2014 has the Max Tow Package but not the HD Payload Package.
But my payload capacity is 1828lbs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for payload it is likely no more than 1700lbs unless you get the Max Payload package and most dealers have no idea how to tell if a particular F150 has that but they love to quote the figures for it as if all F150s come with this very rare option. First clue, if it does not have the 6.5ft bed on the Crewcab or the 8ft bed on the Supercab it does not have the max payload package. Second, if it does not have the 3.73 rear end it does not have the max payload package but that can be hard to check in a used truck. All trucks with max payload package will have a GVWR listed on the door sticker in excess of 8,000lbs. That is easy to check if you can open the door.

That said, I have a 2016 equipped much like the one you are looking at and would have no reservations about pulling that trailer provided that you have the proper hitch and good trailer brakes.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
We'll See wrote:
MFL wrote:
OP did not say what year 150 she is looking at. The 6-speed would indicate several years old. There is also a little confusion as to actual MAX tow. The max tow trucks around 2013 year, had a 500 lb higher GVWR, thus more payload. Also the RAWR was 4,050. Just too many variations of the 150 to give good help, without knowing year, and all specs of actual truck.

Jerry

She says in the first post 2016. That f150 is plenty capable for a 5,000 or 6,000 pound loaded trailer.

Yes she did. I agree, truck should work.

Jerry

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Newer F150 had several different payload/tow package options from the factory. If you are buying used, get the VIN and see if you can find the original window sticker.

Even when ordering a NEW F150 I would not trust the average salesman to know/understand all of the combinations.

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
OP did not say what year 150 she is looking at. The 6-speed would indicate several years old. There is also a little confusion as to actual MAX tow. The max tow trucks around 2013 year, had a 500 lb higher GVWR, thus more payload. Also the RAWR was 4,050. Just too many variations of the 150 to give good help, without knowing year, and all specs of actual truck.

Jerry

She says in the first post 2016. That f150 is plenty capable for a 5,000 or 6,000 pound loaded trailer.
Jeep and Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

x2.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry