Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F350 standard shocks or FX4 shocks

John_G2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Been looking at a new F350 Platinum and all the ones in my area seem to have the FX4 package.

From a towing point, any downside or upside to the "upgraded" shocks in the FX4 package over the standard ones?

Current TT is ~7000# loaded. Future TT (ones that wife and I like) would be in the 9-10K# (loaded and ready to roll).

thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The general opinion about the Rancho shocks that come on the Ford trucks are bad and many report major ride improvement going to an adjustable Rancho 9000 series shock.

My previous 05 Super Duty I replaced the factory Rancho's at ~160k miles with new Ranchos and noticed a slight ride improvement.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
John_G wrote:
Thanks guys.

Rayford: few questions.... how do you like the truck? Did you get the FX4 package? If yes, what's the actual height of your truck?

Thanks again for the replies.

Love the truck. It does have the FX4 package. i havent measured the actual truck height but i know its about an inch or so taller than my 2012 F250 King Ranch FX4 that i traded.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

elkhornsun
Explorer
Explorer
The packages are a great way to increase the dealer's profits which are already huge on pickups. I would check the rims and tires provided as with GM the special "4x4" special packages have tires and rims that have half the load rating of the ones on the "standard" trucks. The FX4 shocks used in the past on these trucks do not last any longer than the standard shocks. Would expect to have to replace them within 20k miles with Bilstein 5100's or something comparable.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I skipped the Fx4 package when I ordered my F350 Platinum. I did get the skid plates and then bought Bilsteins after I took delivery.

Bedlam
When I bought my truck in 2005, the FX4 package had less shock dampening than the stock shocks which gave it a better unloaded or off-road ride. I went with the skid plate package and stock shocks and did not regret it. Last year, I changed to the even heavier dampening XL9000's when I went to 19.5" wheels.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

APT
Explorer
Explorer
mudfuel07 wrote:
Used to, don't know if it still is, but the FX4 shocks were nothing more than rebranded cheap Rancho shocks. It won't hurt or help with towing.

The FX4 package has Rancho branded shocks made to Ford's specs. They aren't as good and any of Rancho's aftermarket shocks.

I agree with the last sentence. You will see an improvement with any quality aftermarket shock over either OEM shock.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

John_G2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Rayford: few questions.... how do you like the truck? Did you get the FX4 package? If yes, what's the actual height of your truck?

Thanks again for the replies.

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked one of them up 2 weeks ago, and like mud fuel said it wont help or hurt towing. especially for that sized trailer
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Used to, don't know if it still is, but the FX4 shocks were nothing more than rebranded cheap Rancho shocks. It won't hurt or help with towing.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!