cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fan-Tastic Vent - Why didn't I do this sooner??

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished the installation of a Fan-Tastic fan/vent. Basic 3-speed model with thermostat & rain sensor. Easy install in place of the existing bathroom vent with anemic little fan. The amount of air this thing pulls through the coach is unbelievable!!! :S :B

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B
7 REPLIES 7

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are great. I wish I had 2 more roof vents in my trailer so I could put in 2 more fans that are reversible!

And yes.....it will suck the smell from the black tank. But it only lasts as long as the toilet valve is open. I turn mine off when flushing.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I'm ready to install a 2nd fan in the Bedroom. I put the first one in our main living area near the stove. Once the 2nd one is in the bedroom, we'll have some serious air movement. I opted for the 7350 model because on Amazon it was basically the same price as the lower models. I put on the fantastic vent cover on the outside as well, so we can have the fan on when raining.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
old guy wrote:
they are a great fan just be advised DO NOT FLUSH TOILETs when fan is going. you will suck smell from black tank in to trailer or MH

This is excellent advice and a mistake we only made once!

If you are so "Sure" that it can not happen, then try it and prove it!

My wife had the roof vent open while we where driving down the road, and I could smell the toilet smell from the drivers seat! when she flushed. I don't know why it brings in so much of the black tank smell, but it surely does bring in the smell! Not just from the 1 second that the flush valve is open either. Perhaps it was coming in from the vent system or something.

Your results might vary, but as for me, I will be leaving the fan off from now on, and also recommend shutting the roof vent while driving, if you are going to flush.

I have Maxx Air vents on all three of my fantastic fans, and can leave the vents open while driving in moderate temp conditions.

I also have one vent fan with the rain feature, about the only thing I hate about the fantastic fans. The open close motor that was installed in 1997 was very loud, things must have improved since that time. The think I dislike is when it is humid, then the rain sensor can activate the motor, and we might not discover it for a couple of hours, if we are out sightseeing, and the open/close motor runs until it senses resistance, and stops. Usually I leave my motor 'disconnected' and open and close the roof vent manually, like the other two, and the motor will run and run. Even if engauged, it might open all the way, then close when it feels a drop of water on it. What IF it was cold out and I did not want it open?

So I put in the manual open and three speed with a thermostat from Amazon.com on my new wheelchair van.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
they are a great fan just be advised DO NOT FLUSH TOILETs when fan is going. you will suck smell from black tank in to trailer or MH

This is excellent advice and a mistake we only made once!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

I can see some odors being sucked into the bathroom for the very brief time the tank valve is actually open, but wouldn't it also get sucked out the vent by the same fan that sucked it into the bathroom?

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

We almost always have the bathroom fan on to move air and I don't ever remember smelling black tank when flushing.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer