cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fast gun security

tbltony
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up on preventing fastguns theft.I went to an industrial nut and bolt supplier they were able to supply high security blots and nuts that require special tools to put on and to remove .they were inexpensive around $35.00 with the special tools needed .the bolts are stainless .thanks for all the feedback on the stolen fastguns ,I think the bolts will prevent further theft.thank you all and Happy new year and may all your travles be safe and fun. Tony and Linda barra with saminatha the cat.
15 REPLIES 15

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I am really curious- When ever the fact that fuel door is blocked by camper tiedown, its described as an issue. How? Even when I had manual turnbuckles, which required using small crescent to remove, it took only a few seconds. I mean the way its portrayed its like a major hassle or inconvenanace. Just really curious.

To OP where is your new hardware used, thru the lock hole of fastgun? Pictures
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
In a way, having the fuel door blocked by the Fastgun is a feature. Acts as a deterrent from someone trying to siphon fuel out. It won't stop a determined thief or tank puncher, but better than nothing.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
deltabravo wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
I'm a bit biased since I need to remove my fastgun to refuel.

I have the same issue - driver's front fastgun blocks my fuel access door. I don't put a lock on that one, but I lock the other 3.

Same fuel door issue but opening my fast gun lock only adds perhaps 30 seconds to my tank fill time. All 4 are always locked
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
McMaster Carr has a good online selection of hardware.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
tbltony wrote:
Just a heads up on preventing fastguns theft.I went to an industrial nut and bolt supplier they were able to supply high security blots and nuts that require special tools to put on and to remove .they were inexpensive around $35.00 with the special tools needed .the bolts are stainless .thanks for all the feedback on the stolen fastguns ,I think the bolts will prevent further theft.thank you all and Happy new year and may all your travles be safe and fun. Tony and Linda barra with saminatha the cat.

Just curious -- which supplier? I'd like to go for the bolts, as well as the Fastgun locks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DWeikert wrote:
I'm a bit biased since I need to remove my fastgun to refuel.

I have the same issue - driver's front fastgun blocks my fuel access door. I don't put a lock on that one, but I lock the other 3.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
So after you add security measures to your fast guns they become slow guns

:B

Just like terrorism .... You may never experience it, but get inconvenienced to prevent it.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
So after you add security measures to your fast guns they become slow guns
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I use the locks made for the fast guns. Mostly because I don't want them to come loose. Theft protection is second.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
More off topic ... I know someone who left their car unlocked and the thief broke the window any way.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
tbltony wrote:

How long does it take you to install those bolts and nuts with that special tool? I'm a bit biased since I need to remove my fastgun to refuel.
For just $20 more(shipped) you could've just got the locks.

www.dyersonline.com/torklift-fastgun-4-pack-keyed-alike-lock-set
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
I have locks on my fastguns.
I also have locks on my Glow Steps. In our area, as in many others, there is a lot of aluminum theft.
With mine having 6 steps, that is several pounds/bucks worth of "scrap" aluminum to a tweaker.
The steps came with small diameter pull pins to attach the steps to the bolt on bracket.
I drilled out the holes to 3/8" and now have a padlock replacing those quick release pins.
Those steps might have never been stolen, but I feel better knowing it has the lock there.

Bedlam
Security only has be better than the targets around you. Thieves will go after the easiest gains.

A little off topic: My dad used to keep his commuter car unlocked because there was nothing to steal inside and he didn't want a thief breaking out a window to find that nothing. I have a station wagon with a rear security cover - I keep that cover open so thieves can see there is nothing to steal but do keep my doors locked.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Daryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any locks on my fast guns, guess I should consider getting some.
2022 F-450
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 WB

Past Rigs
2006 F-450 16k GVWR, Kelderman 4-link rear suspension
2009 AF 990
2016 EC 1165
2017 AF 990