cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastgun tiedowns - tension vs camper weight

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers specify adjusting the tension so the O-ring is 1/4" below the barrel when the tension is applied.

No mention of varying the loading depending on the size and weight of the camper - just 300 pound fits all.

Doesn't seem logical to me.

Anyone use different tensions??
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map
28 REPLIES 28

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, if I installed mine following their instructions to the letter, all I get is excessive pulling on the camper anchors. I install mine so that it feels right for my setup.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I just loaded my camper and fastened my Fast Gun tie-downs. I spun the hook in or out one revolution. I noticed that if you increase the tension on the Fast Guns, all it does is flex the underside of the camper more. I can't see a lot of benefit in flexing the camper more.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
I have a 3500 pound TC wet. I really don't pay any attention to the o ring. I look at where The tension starts when closing the handle. I want to feel tension when the handle closing is about 1/2 way across the locking hole. I think using the same tension on lighter or heavier campers is fine. The camper sits in the truck because of gravity. The tie downs are there just for the bumps of the road and stopping and starting. JMHO
X 2 Many times when I put my FG'S on the "O " ring moves either up or down even though the camper and truck are in the exact same spot. I agree, tension will tell you. K.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would tend to think just the opposite- that the lighter the camper the more need for restraining

This would be true if you are trying to hold the camper in the bed against the wind. For small very light campers with large frontal areas or overhang, this would apply.

More important than weight, would be the vertical and side-to-side COGs. Lower the COG, less you need to hold it in place. I.E. think of moving a pallet of blocks vs a tall piece of furniture.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJinCO wrote:
Tony your definitely over thinking this. I always have them just snug and probably looser than recommended and have survived the topes in Mexico quite well for about 10 years now so we have hit a few way too fast. Shipping out of Houston for Cartegena in early to mid November. Trying to figure out how to make the free GPS maps work on a Garmin is crazy.

Mike

I bought the South American Map Pack from Garmin. So far in Buenos Aries to here at the falls in Brazil, they have been perfect even in little villages with dirt tracks leading to the rivers. Don't have 100% coverage for a couple of countries though - Bolivia being one, but I have downloaded those from Open Street Maps and installed them on the SD card.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for how they "feel", IE tension at closing. When I bought my camper, tension at closing is what the shop guy at the dealership told me to pay attention to. So it is totally a feel thing for me. I don't pay any attention to the O rings.

I like the comment about the handle showing through the lock hole when resistance begins. A good measuring point.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I would tend to think just the opposite- that the lighter the camper the more need for restraining, though less likely to tolerate I would imagine.
Over the recommended #setting you start to loose the benefit of spring loaded tie downs (which should be called something else, positioners/restrainers?). Would also, in the case of frame flex, side hilling etc quickly go to a 'sumpins gonna break' point. Theres is only so much travel/give in the tiedowns- the recommended setting has to do with how they are designed and still offer some 'stretch'.

I also tend to run mine probably looser than the 300#-maybe 1/4". I just go by feel-if it takes to much effort when snapping over handle I back off the bolt a turn. If ours moved around excessively Id be looking at guides or retainers in the bed to limit movement. But theres been occasion I wished both the truck & camper could accept load binders.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
macdale4 wrote:
Well when I wrecked my truck, camper and jeep last year the tork lift brackets mounted to the frame bent straight upward and the fast guns snapped like twigs. I don't think having the right tension would have made any difference. (The truck had a blow out and I shot between two guard rails. The truck had rolled over on the left rail and then slid sideways between the two rails and wedged tight. The inertia flipped the truck upright and it stopped but the inertia tossed off the truck camper which rolled once and landed upright in the road.)

Wow that sounds like a heck of a wreck. May I ask what the conditions of the accident was. Road conditions, speed, which tire and day or night. It might help others of us in the future.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Tony your definitely over thinking this. I always have them just snug and probably looser than recommended and have survived the topes in Mexico quite well for about 10 years now so we have hit a few way too fast. Shipping out of Houston for Cartegena in early to mid November. Trying to figure out how to make the free GPS maps work on a Garmin is crazy.

Mike

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is nylon isn't used due to the short length and the fact that it stretches/moves. If you've used them to tie down motorcycles, for instance, you've probably seen them stretch/move.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bikepsych
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to hijack the thread, but a question occurred to me about using ratcheting, fabric tie downs, there are some pretty thick ones out there. Is there a reason the manufacturers have opted to go with hard-style tiedowns? Or perhaps even chains?

BG

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regardless of the weight of the camper the Fastguns when the lever is down should have ONLY an additional 1/4" of threads exposed as compared to when the lever is up. At that point there is 300 lbs. of load on each of the anchor plates for the camper or 1200 lbs. in total.

More than 300 lbs. and you risk damaging the camper with too much of a load on the plates, and this is not easy or cheap to repair.

rickandleed
Explorer
Explorer
macdale4 wrote:
Well when I wrecked my truck, camper and jeep last year the tork lift brackets mounted to the frame bent straight upward and the fast guns snapped like twigs. I don't think having the right tension would have made any difference. (The truck had a blow out and I shot between two guard rails. The truck had rolled over on the left rail and then slid sideways between the two rails and wedged tight. The inertia flipped the truck upright and it stopped but the inertia tossed off the truck camper which rolled once and landed upright in the road.)

So what your saying is we need some of them there NASCAR tires that don't go flat so quick. Did your insurance company attack the tire company and make'em pay. Hopefully no one was injured.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
macdale4 wrote:
The truck had a blow out and I shot between two guard rails.

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Was it a front tire?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member