cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass or aluminum?

davehultin
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's time. We're ready to upgrade to our next travel trailer.

We've had only fiberglass exteriors up to this point, and now are considering a trailer with aluminum siding. Maybe I'm getting hung up on the difference in the appearance, but why would someone choose fiberglass over aluminum or vice versa?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
27 REPLIES 27

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do you mean the polished aluminum with rivets or the corrugated and painted aluminum?
Mine is corrugated and painted. No issues in 11 years. Virtually no maintenance.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the hail thing. I used to live in Calgary, Alberta and saw what hail can do alum. trailers & vehicles. No thanks.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:
Both have thier pluses and minuses. Maintain either one and should last a long time.
This!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
remember the Jeep 4x4,,, in the 60's there body was aluminum... almost none are around anymore.. oxidation. is like rust. you end up with nothing.

the above ROT,, is the wood under the metal. "Wood Rot" and no way to dry it .. but disassembly.

and aluminum sided in a hail storm... fiberglass is better at this one.
fiberglass is heavier.

Dealers at maintenance, to protect your investment.. Really??? my opinion.
my 12 year old fiberglass. no issues. that is 11 Winters next to Lake Erie.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both have thier pluses and minuses. Maintain either one and should last a long time.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum Sided units are wood framed and fiberglass units are aluminum framed. We prefer fiberglass sides with aluminum framing over a wood frame unit. I can fix fiberglass but I'm not good fixing wood frames.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Had good luck with 2 aluminum and 1 glass. Current fiberglass has front cap starting to delam.
Probably won't buy fiberglass again.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
and aluminum will dry rot from a leak.

I've never seen aluminum "dry rot". How can metal "rot"?
Bob

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum trailers will leak just as easy as fiberglass. Maintain either and neither should leak. Fiberglass can delam from a leak, and aluminum will dry rot from a leak.

Bill57
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous trailer was a fiberglass "flat" sided trailer. Our current trailer is aluminum sided. I'll never buy a fiberglass flat sided trailer again. Delamination will happen and is difficult to fix. The fiberglass is going to leak at the joints. We had ours maintained by the dealer and it still leaked. As always YMMV.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My previous RV was a Jayco TT. All aluminum. When driving in bad weather water would be forced between the aluminum seams in front. Never leaked in heavy rain when parked..Just when moving. Interesting, because now I see RVs that have aluminum sides and fiber glass fronts. Guess I wasn't the only one having the problem.

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I like the looks of the fiberglass sides and it's easier to wax because it's a flat surface but after the delamination problems I've had on my current trailer my next one will be aluminum. To be fair though, some of the delamination is because of a water leak.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
personnel preference.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides