cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding little glass like beads in tire stem

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
In 2012 we put 19.5 wheels and G rated tires on the rear of our F-350 in Bismarck ND.

We check the tires on a regular basis and in May 2016 found the stem was clogged on the driver's side rear tire. Replaced the stem in Glendive, MT. Drove another 2,000 miles or so and guess what... stem is clogged again with another little round glass-like bead.

We are remembering that back when we had those tires put on in Bismarck ND they balanced those tires with a bag of something they put inside the tire... looking just like these same little glass beads.

We've bought a supply of tire valve stems... and expect to have this problem for a long long time.

Anyone else have this happen??

We just happen to be heading to Bismarck ND in two days... should I go talk to the place that installed them??
Kathy
14 REPLIES 14

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Use a TPMS system and you do not need to check air pressure. Just read the monitor and be on your way in less than 5 minutes.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I ran Dyna Beads on my motorcycle tires and I never had an issue with them getting stuck inside the valve stem.

I use air-soft pellets now (generic brand, non-marking from Walmart). They are too big to fit in a valve stem, are cheaper, and work just as well.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm learning quite a bit from all of you that are posting. So they didn't use the right size bead when they put the tires on. Obviously we have the small size and that's why it's getting in the valve stem.

Our valve stem was at 10 o'clock position... I've told hubby about the shot of compressed air before he checks the tire...and the valve stem should be a the 6 o'clock position. he's not too crazy about having to do that each time...because we have to have the air compressor out just to check the pressure. oh well.

I'll chock this off to lessons learned... we're not going back to talk to that place that put those wheels on.

The last conversation I had with anyone there was about them not tightening the bolt on the brake calipher like it should have been.
https://goo.gl/photos/f7whURw6nrHJY2Rh8

We were going thru Chicago Interstate 94 close to Interstate 55... suddenly there was this horrible noise when we tried to brake.

Bolt fell off on the front wheel brake calipher.
Kathy

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a little more time, so I looked up how to check pressure/add air. I found some information here. Apparently, filtered cores aren't always possible, and I assume not required.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

Q: Do I need Filter Valve Cores?

A: When using the Standard size bead (Standard Bag, EZ-Open, Motorcycle), the purpose of the filtered valve core is to prevent a bead from getting caught in the valve core mechanism. If a bead gets caught in the valve core mechanism, it will jam the valve core in the open position and air will leak out. Filtered Valve Cores are not required if using the Large beads (Off Road, Tractor Trailer, RV).

Note: Filtered valve cores, however, do not fit a lot of the newer valve stems. They require a seat 1-1/4" down in the stem. If you cannot use them, simply rotate the tire so the valve stem is about the 6:00 position, or give the valve stem a quick shot of air prior to checking pressure.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
louiskathy wrote:
om goodness.... they make FILTERED valve stems...
Too bad the guy that mounted our tires didn't know that.... or do that.

http://www.imiproducts.com/products/equal/installing-equal/

FILTERED tire valve stems...
x2 this should solve the problem.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can tell you that my valve stems weren't replaced either, but I can see why they probably should have been. I only had the loss of air problem happen one time in 10 years. I don't how I was so lucky. I do usually drop the air below where I want and add air back. One of the times I didn't and stuck a bead.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
We are remembering that back when we had those tires put on in Bismarck ND they balanced those tires with a bag of something they put inside the tire... looking just like these same little glass beads.
Along with those balancing beads, they should have replaced the original valve stems with the special valves stems that go with them. They have a built in mesh which prevents the beads from coming back out of the stem and either clogging the valve or loosing any of the beads.

On edit: I see louiskathy already explained it.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
om goodness.... they make FILTERED valve stems...
Too bad the guy that mounted our tires didn't know that.... or do that.

http://www.imiproducts.com/products/equal/installing-equal/

FILTERED tire valve stems...
Kathy

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I use Equal in my 19.5s that I got at Les Schwabs. You shouldn't have to keep replacing valves. You just need to be careful when you check the pressure not to catch one in the stem.

I don't know how to be careful not to catch one in the stem...
Do we let the tires set over night and check them only in the morning.. being "careful" to have the valve stem NOT be at the bottom
?? Do these little beads "settle" down to the bottom of the tire overnight?
Kathy

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Equal in my 19.5s that I got at Les Schwabs. You shouldn't have to keep replacing valves. You just need to be careful when you check the pressure not to catch one in the stem.

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the valve stem when you are checking the pressure?
Like what position, 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 3, 8 10 ??

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they balanced the tires with Dyna-Beads. I've have used them in motorcycle tires but have not tried them in truck tires. I believe they can be used in all types of tires.

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
yeah... I think I should, too. Just want to know if there's a history of this happening to others.

Here's a picture... almost perfectly round glass-like beads
Kathy

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I would.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.