cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finished TC jack repair. Now Improved With More Pictures.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Finishing up a repair project on the Truck Camper today. Apparently the front right corner where the lifting jack attaches had prior mechanical damage. For the repair, I fabricated and welded a steel corner bracket that will lift from the bottom and not just the sides as before. The prior repair relied on a bunch of auto body repair bondo up to 3/8" thick as a backer for the jack. It now has a solid metal and fiberglass repair backing the jack which will also work to keep the area more water tight. I also fabricated a 12"X24" piece of aluminum sheet diamond plate to glue and screw over the outside wall of the camper to increase the wall strength. Going to add a couple drip rails to deflect water away from penetrations on the camper like the fridge outside cover, window openings, and other openings.

The corner jack bracket is attached by drilling holes through the diamond plate and the steel corner lifting bracket under it all, then into the wood which was also repaired by injecting gorilla water proof urethane glue into the old holes then forcing wood plugs into the holes to restore the wood and attachment strength of the holes.

This was the beginning when I discovered a previous repair to the corner jack mount location. The earlier repair cut away the TC filon and the plywood wall beneath it. The area was then filled with bondo and called good.

This shows the corner lifting bracket I welded together fabed from a Simpson 12" T bracket bended into a corner bracket. only needed a vice and hammer to get the bracket shaped and an Oxy/Acetylene torch to weld 6". The weld survived a hammer test.

I repaired the TC siding with epoxy resin and fiberglass matting. I built it up to flush with multiple layers of epoxy and glass matting. No pictures. I then cut the diamond plate to fit around the water connection box and partially around the fridge access panel. I pretty well coated the entire back of the diamond plate with RV Caulk and fastened it with 1" #10 SS screws about every 2 inches. Some were 1 1/4" length. Very solid now compared to how it was.

This is the diamond plate installed.

Close shot of the water connection box.

The underside finished. Hard to see because stuff is painted black.

Finished!

Finished!

Finished!
The result is VERY solid. There is no TC skin distortion during lifting like there used to be. Grabbing and push/pull testing the jack leg shows no movement. Very pleased with this repair.

Helper Cat Charlie.

Charlie has been working out and losing weight since he was diagnosed with diabetes. His blood glucose number has steadily declined as he lost weight and started a healthier diet. Since improving his life, Charlie has improved to the point he hasn't needed any insulin for 14 days now. Good boy Charlie!
9 REPLIES 9

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Ready to come down to the island and help me do an overhaul on mine? ๐Ÿ˜›

Hey Matt,
Is your beloved TC turning up to be more project than you though it would be? I know you've done plenty of stuff to it already. Take a deep breath, relax, and get started. It'll be done before long.

Naw, this is something that's needed doing since I bought the unit back in 2006. I haven't even started yet, but the magic will be getting the siding off without messing it up.

I'm going to inquire after an old shop table frame made of 2x8s and 4x4s sitting by the barn to see if I can acquire it, then beef it up a bit to act as a pedestal to lower the camper onto to begin the work.

Hopefully, I'll be able to fix it up fairly quickly. At least, on a positive note, I can reinsulate the whole unit with foam board.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! Isn't it a good feeling to be able to do this and know that what you did will LAST!? I'm with joerg68 though... bondo? wow!

Cheers!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for this; I have one that could probably use a similar repair. I was hoping to get bolts and nuts on it, but I'm not sure I can get to the inside without an invasive repair.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good job there! This should last for a long time.

But Bondo? Really? Some people have interesting ideas... Glad you could fix it again.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeChiOhki wrote:

Hey Matt,
Is your beloved TC turning up to be more project than you though it would be? I know you've done plenty of stuff to it already. Take a deep breath, relax, and get started. It'll be done before long.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
That's how they should all be done from the start.
Cal

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's a couple days now hoping to finish tonight sometime. I'll post additional then.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Job Jeff. How long did the repairs take?
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992