cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First bone-head mistake this past weekend.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Camping this past weekend at Ainsworth State Park with the girlfriend and the dog, and the site that I had reserved was extremely un-level, side-to-side and front-to-back.

After putting the left wheels up on 6" of leveling blocks, I had to lower the front almost to the ground. While it was lowering, it slid to the left and fell off the blocks the jack was on, causing the front of the trailer to crash 5" to the ground. Almost hit the back of my truck, which was parked to the side.

Took me awhile to figure it why it slid to the side. I disconnected my friction-style sway control from the hitch, but left it dangling on the right side of the trailer tongue. When I lowered the front, the sway control dug into the ground, pushing the trailer to the side.

Luckily there was no damage, as far as I can see, and the rest of the weekend went perfectly. One of those do-nothing relaxing weekends. Couple of days of playing cards and outdoor cooking.

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan
26 REPLIES 26

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Wecamp Ainsworth state park often. What space number was this? I am surprised ita was that out of level. I have seen this in USFS camp grounds. Never in state. Glad all is well now.

24B

It seems that I saw good number of trailers had to level side-to-side . Normally not an issue for me, as I have the stuff to take care of it.
2004 Nissan Titan

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Wecamp Ainsworth state park often. What space number was this? I am surprised ita was that out of level. I have seen this in USFS camp grounds. Never in state. Glad all is well now.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT did something like that a while back, but one of the leveling jacks slipped off about 6 Lynx Levelers I had on uneven ground. Made a racket and shook the trailer with the wife inside. Didn't hurt anything and after a quick change of underwear, the wife was fine.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it just be that way.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
We since the trailer is not level or stable stay out until it is supported. Just makes it safer and simpler than having someone wobbling the TT around while your trying to stabilize it. Just because it is chocked does't mean it still can't move a few inches, many times I have had the chocks drag along a few inches till it really bites in, though our camping is normally on asphalt.

Look at it this way, next time I bet you make sure the brake is out of the way. Everything is a learning experience.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
I had the right side chocked, the left side was up on leveling blocks. Does one normally chock tires that are up on blocks? I normally chock both when the site is level.

I chock both sides under all circumstances! Have not had a trailer roll/slide yet.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I had the right side chocked, the left side was up on leveling blocks. Does one normally chock tires that are up on blocks? I normally chock both when the site is level.
2004 Nissan Titan

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Why didn't the wheel chokes hold the trailer in place???

It sounds like it slid sideways and didn't roll forward or backwards.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Why didn't the wheel chokes hold the trailer in place???

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
Took me awhile to figure it why it slid to the side.

The trailer can't go anywhere if it's properly chocked on both sides ... was it? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
hope you brought a change of underwear

My GF needed that.. She was in the trailer when it happened. Is it normal to not have anyone inside when leveling it in case something strange like this happens?
2004 Nissan Titan

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hope you brought a change of underwear
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....