Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First drive Ram 1500 diesel

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

1500 Ram diesel

Nice review ,I think they like it and clears up some points on why Ram did not use the 5.0 Cummins
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-
232 REPLIES 232

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
I did miss some of the other diesel specs, sorry.

Even at 1400 pounds it still can't tow a travel trailer of any real size.

I was hoping for a half ton diesel that could tow about 10 or 20 percent more than the gas half ton while getting great mileage unloaded.

If it were a clean sheet design it might have worked out that way but I think I read that the current diesel was in production in Europe already.

For now I'll keep using my Hemi to tow the camper.

I drive a Passat TDI that I love and would very much like a light duty diesel pickup for towing.

Linc

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Lspangler wrote:
The important thing to remember is that regardless of how much power the new diesel has, Ram only gives it a 700-900 load capacity

I agree that the payload should be higher, but don't exaggerate the numbers.

According to the Ram web site(http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/tow_chart/)

4X2 Tradesman crew cab 1480 lb
4X2 Laramie Limited crew cab 1115 lb

4X4 SLT crew cab 1233 lb
4X4 Laramie Limited crew cab 881 lb
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
The important thing to remember is that regardless of how much power the new diesel has, Ram only gives it a 700-900 load capacity

Subtract a family from that weight and your allowed maybe 400 pounds of tongue weight so max travel trailer towing is in the 2500 lbs dry range

The extremely low capacity makes it all but useless as a trailer towing vehicle

Any trailer is supposed to have at least 10% tongue weight so it can't tow 9200 pounds unless the driver stays home.

The new diesel is a commuter vehicle, not a "Truck"

Linc

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
"Our climate"? Talk about ignorant comments LMAO. Are you talking about heat or maybe cold? The VA diesels have been around for a long time so only a ignorant person would be afraid to buy one. Can we include you in that category then?

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Hybridhunter wrote:
How much will a VM in a ball get ya?

You may want to do some research on the VM diesel and see what their reputation is before asking stupid questions. Here's a hint, it's a lot more respected then Ford diesels but then that wouldn't take much.

Don

And to answer my question? hmmm?
You display your ignorance, and my point is made by your evasive non-reply. VM means nothing in NA, and will mean less than nothing if they have issues with our climate.
Your Ford diesel remark doesn't bother me. The 2 powerstroke diesels they make are class leading engines. The old Navistar poop is just that. I'm not a brand stooge, but your witty Ford anecdotes are amusing.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:

You may want to do some research on the VM diesel and see what their reputation is before asking stupid questions. Here's a hint, it's a lot more respected then Ford diesels but then that wouldn't take much.

Don

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:

ha not so much.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Give it up Don ,when I joined this forum one of my first posts was in response to the incessant nit picky gas vs diesel fuel fights - right down to the 1/10 of a cent .
I can remember my attempt to remind these ol boys almost verbatim "if you rolled your Dodge into a ball you would still get $6000 for the wreckage because there is a Cummins in there somewhere".
resale resale resale must be part of the calculation , along with all the other goodies you buy nav,leather,sunroof,power this and that, etc. sigh
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
What about resale value. Some thing you guy seem to forget about, my 04 is valued at $19.000 right now. Keep that EB for eleven years and 145,000 miles and see what it is worth.

Don

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

I have NEVER heard a credible source state that they regularly got anywhere near 20-21 MPG in an ecoboost. And no, itguy, you are NOT a credible source on the matter.

I seem to remember Motortrend stating that their blended average for nearly 30,000 miles was somewhere around 15 MPG.

That's the EPA. I'm at 16.2-16.5 in my EB 4x4, 3.73s.

And your fuel prices may be right, but there is not that big of a delta everywhere. My station sells diesel for $3.66, regular is $3.16.

And that makes the break even what, 5 years vs 10?
Personally I don't buy a tow vehicle or any vehicle worrying about the pay back time frame. Both of my current vehicles are over ten years old and going strong.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Only 22pages till Fix It Again Tony. Impressive!
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
When the posts get to the level of school yard taunts ya its run its course
and Iam the op BTW
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Too hot in the kitchen hone?
Not everything needs a ban or a lock buttercup.