cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First New Travel Trailer!

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking and researching for about nine months and finally decided on a floorplan. We waited a little too long and the one we wanted (Rockwood 2703SS) was sold just a few days before we went to buy it.

Well, we got lucky and found another that is similar, a Rockwood 2703WS. It is loaded and has everything we could think of. Now we just have to figure out when we are going to pick it up. We're shooting for next Friday, 8/9.

Even got a year of free storage thrown in after the deal was done.

Any advice on this trailer/brand, a layout like this, or anything else is appreciated. We're moving from tent camping to this, although my family traveled all over the country in a popup as a kid (that's how I got to all of those states in my map).

Here are some pictures from the dealer's website:

2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI
15 REPLIES 15

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, wanna!

They actually have a picture of the sticker on the website. I'm guessing the 1,100 pounds of cargo might limit some people but we will be just fine with that.

2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the trailer, you will be in heaven after a tent, especially with the little one. It will be so much easier to put him to bed and still have some adult time. Nap times are so much better too.

When you pick up trailer, please come back here and post the actual weights on the trailer sticker. This is one of the trailers that I have been looking at for full time (just one person) and so many of the trailers I have looked at have one weight on the website and a much heavier actual weight in reality (meaning I have less carrying capacity which is a big deal for full timing).
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
archie18 wrote:
Suggestion since you are new to campers: Do not connect the black water tank to sewer and leave the valve open. It will empty better if you allow it to fill up some before dumping. Also, empty black water tank first then empty the gray water tank to flush out the hose.

I still have a hard time explaining this to DW. Her logic is that we aren't constantly draining the toilet so that's why it smells.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, archie!

I have probably spent over 100 hours this year reading online and watching YouTube videos so I did know those black tank tips. I know I still have a lot to learn, though.

My father-in-law has been RV'ing for decades and has owned travel trailers, fifth wheels, and Class C's so he is going to show us the ropes. He sold his last trailer two years ago and now that we bought one, he is once again in the market. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

archie18
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice trailer! We are picking up our new TT tomorrow.

Suggestion since you are new to campers: Do not connect the black water tank to sewer and leave the valve open. It will empty better if you allow it to fill up some before dumping. Also, empty black water tank first then empty the gray water tank to flush out the hose.

You will love having bathroom, full size frig, stove and a real bed.
Happy camping!
Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2014 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! We are really excited.

We have a 14-month-old son and it will be the three of us. We briefly considered a bunkhouse but decided we would rather have the large living area and use the dinette as a bed for him at night. Truth be told, he will probably just sleep with us anyway for now. The sofa is an air bed pullout but that probably won't be used much. My parents will be camping with us some but they have their own camper.

We will be towing with a 2013 Silverado 1500 extended cab 4x4 3.42 w/tow package. I have run all of the numbers and at 7,500 gross we seem to be OK on weight (1,552 available payload, 900 tongue weight, 500 for family and gear). We are in flat land in Indiana and will stay around the state for now, with one or two trips a year to other Midwestern states. When our son is older, we will want to take him out west and will upgrade to a 3/4 ton (and maybe even a new trailer by then).
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice looking TT. I'm curious if it is just two of you using it? We contemplated that type of rear kitchen layout, but my daughters (19 and 22) still want to come with us! So we had to have some bunks for them, since I didn't want to have to put down the table and couch every night. When the kids don't go (like this coming weekend) we use the bunks for storage.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice looking trailer. We have really enjoyed our Rockwood. One word of warning; depending on how many people you have in the trailer, that 37 gallon gray water tank will fill up much more quickly than you think. If you are at a full hookup site, no problem. If you go to parks with water/electricity only or dry camp, a blue tote will be a wise purchase. My Rockwood has a gray water tank that size, so I never leave home without the tote tank.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. It looks like a really nice TT. What are you pulling with?

Wishing your family many years of happy camping.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

HG07JKRubi
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats !!! Nice and wide open floor plan. Enjoy.
2011 Evergreen EverLite 31BHS
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi Crew Cab
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new trailer .... while my last two trailers have been Jayco's, I did purchase a brand new Rockwood trailer back in 1984. We used our Rockwood for 21 years and it was one of the best trailers we ever owned. We got lots of great use out of it with not one single problem for 21 years. Many memories of our Rockwood raising two kids and two dogs through those years.

Good luck !!!
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Very nice TT - congrats!

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely LOVE the floor plan. That's pretty much what I'll be going for when (if) the teens eventually move out. Congrats!
Gary in Western NC

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Very Nice. Like the layout, but for now we have to have bunks for the kids!