cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Truck box design, does someone make one?

haulinghorses
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I'm being picky...hahaha I have a truckbox question. I suppose in the interm a small lockable plastic box might work.

Here is my concept. Picture the typical over the rail truckbox, they generally have clearance under them and you could still haul stuff 8ft long. 2x4's, sheets of whatever would slide under the box.

Now picture they typical flush with the bed truck box, they attach to the floor.

For anyone familiar with the new Ram Laramie Longhorns, they lack storage. The rear passanger under seat compartment is filled with a subwoofer and the rear seats don't fold down. There is small pockets that one can get too but not a lot of room.

What I want is a shallowish truck box, flush with the rails but on "Feet" that would still allow room under the box for hauling sheets of whatever. Anyone make one?
If it has a hitch, I can tow it
9 REPLIES 9

haulinghorses
Explorer
Explorer
vault wouldn't work for me, I've got a gooseneck and 5th wheel. maybe a wheel well box will fit my needs. I think you can even get them with pull out drawers.

mitw44
Explorer
Explorer
I've always liked the concept of the truck vault. It is a shallow, lockable, storage area that sits on the entire truck bed floor, and has pull out drawers. So you have storage plus can still set anything you want on top. Some are made to hold the weight of 4 wheelers.

www.truckvault.com
2009 F 250 XLT SC 4x4 3.73 LS 5.4L V8
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171 RBXL

doctor_roy
Explorer
Explorer
You want a shallow box, check Lowes.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get on Lowe's web site, they have many box options.

Jim

haulinghorses
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the inputs.
I'll check out the cutom boxes, but at that rate I'll make it myself.

Yes, I've pulled the floormats. Still not enough room, with a family of 5 and all the horse******that often travels with us. I just gave my normal daily driver to my 16 year old on his birthday to the truck will now be my "normal". I want to haul may tools, jumper cables, tie downs, rope, bungies etc.. etc.. but keep the cab clean

Chest with risers? Didn't think of that, but would likely be too tall.

I might have to draw some ideas and see if its in my skill level or go to local weld shop for estimate. I've had some other ideas come into my head that would be all custom.

For hauling maximum hay bales and not worrying about scratching paint my recent brain storm is getting like a Rack-Back and building removable extensions.
1. that goes over cab enough to hold 3 bales with a wind deflector, that may or may not help when pulling 5th wheel and goodneck.
2. second extensions, over the fenders. Once the bed is stacked up that high with bales, I can then stack over the fenders giving me the width of a flat bed.

I want the extensions at least the over the fenders removable. I might just leave the over the cab. I could mount CB ant on the rack-back.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chest type with a riser would be your best option if you wish for a flush fit to the bed rail. 2" riser will allow for some dimensional lumber, and some sheet material.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't the newest RAM have the built in two tier loading like the older trucks do?

All you need is some 2x4s.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
My longhorn has rear under seat storage as well as the two "twelve pack" boxes under the rear floor mats. I can actually fit quite a bit of stuff in them. Have u pulled your rear floor mats and found the storage in the floor yet?
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
These guys will custom make any size or shape you want.
http://www.800toolbox.com/custom_toolboxes/custom_toolboxes.htm