cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First RV tow with EcoD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's not my first time but it is with the Eco-diesel. Was only about 30+ miles and all in the mountains around Knoxville Tn with some very step twisty grades. The travel trailer was a 25' weighing in at just over 5800#. I have towed my boat without any issues at all and it weighs in at 6800# so I was not worried about towing the TT.

The truck felt planted and very stable, the factory brake controller work great, and the trans kept the truck in the torque band at all times. I personal would not tow over the rated specs but have to say from how it handled this trailer, 8000#+ would not be any problem for the truck. The engine brake worked great also and even worked empty when we were sight seeing in the Smokey Mountains National Forest! Thanks GDE this is a must have for anyone towing and even if you don't tow!

Over all this is one great tow vehicle no mater what the Blue Oval boys think! ๐Ÿ˜›

Here is a pic of the truck and TT after I got it over to my BIL house.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
46 REPLIES 46

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
If they REALLY had a LOT of time AND MONEY for fuel they could pull it with an old ford 4.6. Yuk yuk but hey they were dependable. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Met a couple towing around a 26 - 28 foot Arctic Fox through the mountains of western Canada with an EcoD. They were happy with the performance.

They were probably retired and weren't in a hurry.

I kid, I kid.;)
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Met a couple towing around a 26 - 28 foot Arctic Fox through the mountains of western Canada with an EcoD. They were happy with the performance.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Judy_D
Explorer
Explorer
thank you IdaD we are actually looking at the eco diesels now so bookmarked the dealership to compare prices. Might be making a trip to Idaho !!!

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Banks sure has pretty advertising. I love the pic with their intake painted red it makes the engine look bad arse. As far as tuners I would take either the GDE or PPEI over the Banks hands down.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
Hey, if it works for you, that's great. You gotta respect the fact that it's got killer fuel economy, and decent towing specs.

I seriously looked at an EcoDiesel this year, but ended up buying something else. For me, fuel economy was not of primary importance.

Everybody has different needs.

For a 1/2 ton it works. That being said with current fuel prices and if we needed to exceed 8klb or greater I would go with a 6.2 Ford 250. I only have at best fully loaded 4500 lbs and the 3d is a perfect choice for that purpose.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, if it works for you, that's great. You gotta respect the fact that it's got killer fuel economy, and decent towing specs.

I seriously looked at an EcoDiesel this year, but ended up buying something else. For me, fuel economy was not of primary importance.

Everybody has different needs.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I bought our Ed stickered at 55k for 43k. The best deal at the time I could find on similar Ford lariat was 48k, but no diesel or 8 speed or air suspension. Now figure in the thousands saved in fuel over the expected 120k in 8 yeas and this decision was easy....

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
CumminsDriver wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
I didn't think it was a true exhaust brake like the Jacobs.

Jacobs is an engine brake, not an exhaust brake.

Jacobs does make an exhaust brake. Had one on my '02 Dodge/Cummins.
http://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com/technology/exhaust-brakes/

Rich

I guess I should have clarified that the Jacob's brake that he was referring to like on the class 8 trucks are not exhaust brake.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

Jacobs does make an exhaust brake. Had one on my '02 Dodge/Cummins.
http://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com/technology/exhaust-brakes/

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report, I thought about buying an ED last truck, kinda wish I had but couldn't shake the bad mojo feeling that comes with the first gen of a new model. Probably be the next one.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think it was a true exhaust brake like the Jacobs. As for the "tuner" yes and no, what they do is remove the ECM and put in a whole new program. They open the case and write over the factory program. My dealer knows it there and is on board with it so I'm not worried about it affecting my warranty at all.

I will be heading up to GDE for their up dated program and will look into the oil pressure upgrade, Thanks CCM74 for the heads up!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.