cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fixing to order new tires. Maxxis 8008 or GY G26?

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I was set o Maxxis until I stumbled onto a thread about the Goodyear G26 cargo tire. The GY would be right at $600 and the Maxxis can be had for a little less that $500. I want to go ahead and order before spring gets here. Which way would you go?
17 REPLIES 17

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis ST8008 tires made in the USA ???

Maxxis ST8008 have a 90 mph speed rating ??

Must be something new.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

facory
Explorer
Explorer
We use Maxxis M8008's. I feel it's the best tire you can buy for RV use. Talk with your tire dealer and let him/her know you want them 'made in America'. I got mine from the plant in Swanee, GA. Also request that they be 'fresh', not more than 6 months old. Shouldn't be a problem.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that ST and LT tires are slightly different diameters. I was planning to use Goodyear LT tires until I found out that they would be too close to each other (tandem axles). With the Maxxis tires I have just over an inch between tires but if I had gone with the Goodyears I would have had just under 1/2 inch between tires and the manufacturer said that is too close. It would have made it bery difficult to get chocks between the tires too. I have had the Maxxis tires for about two years now, including a cross country trip and they still look new (no cracking or tread wear noticeable).
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a recent change by Maxxis?

My ST8008's are definitely speed rated for 65 mph, but I bought them in August 2013.

alreadygone1 wrote:
The Maxxis ST8008 has a speed designation of Q which is 90 mph. I called the Maxxis company directly and talked to customer service rep, to verify that this rating was correct. He informed that indeed these tires have a 90 mph rating but didn't recommend driving an RV at this speed. HA Ha!!
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

alreadygone1
Explorer
Explorer
The Maxxis ST8008 has a speed designation of Q which is 90 mph. I called the Maxxis company directly and talked to customer service rep, to verify that this rating was correct. He informed that indeed these tires have a 90 mph rating but didn't recommend driving an RV at this speed. HA Ha!!

alreadygone1
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Crambo wrote:
I was set o Maxxis until I stumbled onto a thread about the Goodyear G26 cargo tire. The GY would be right at $600 and the Maxxis can be had for a little less that $500. I want to go ahead and order before spring gets here. Which way would you go?

The G26 is a all position euro designated tire which is very popular with all types of trailers (including RVs) using tires in this size.

If it matters to you Maxxis ST8008 tire are limited to 65 mph. The G26 and other euro all postion tire isn't.

You may also want to look at the Maxxis U-168 LT in several 15" sizes which is another euro commercial use tire as the cargo G26. Both Maxxis tires can be hard to find in much of the country.

Also look at the Provider ST which carries the nylon cap and a M speed ratingProvider by Taskmaster.
PJ and Starlite trailer manufacturers are using the Provider ST235/80-16 E on their equipment trailers with good reports the last 5-6 years. I have no idea about their smaller sizes.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Crambo wrote:

The G26 is a all position euro designated tire which is very popular with all types of trailers (including RVs) using tires in this size.

If it matters to you Maxxis ST8008 tire are limited to 65 mph. The G26 and other euro all postion tire isn't.

You may also want to look at the Maxxis U-168 LT in several 15" sizes which is another euro commercial use tire as the cargo G26. Both Maxxis tires can be hard to find in much of the country.

Also look at the Provider ST which carries the nylon cap and a M speed ratingProvider by Taskmaster.
PJ and Starlite trailer manufacturers are using the Provider ST235/80-16 E on their equipment trailers with good reports the last 5-6 years. I have no idea about their smaller sizes.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TheGatherer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm runnin' Maxis 8008's on my 3rd time FLA-AZ... I went from 14s to 15inch wheels and 225x75x15 from Discount tire and that's what I'll put on 30' 2004 Dutchmen BH's replacement also... I had a blowout from road trash and the warranty replaced 2 of them.. Increasing the size really helped the ride and the pull... TV is a 2012 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7 diesel, good pull and good mileage... I don't know about the other brand, just sayin'

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
The only Goodyear I would consider is the HMG 2020. I understand it's made for U-Haul but some online companies will sell to anyone.

HMG 2020

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I almost went with GY Cargo tires, but the load capacity was too low. Check this for your situation. Here is a good place to comapare sizes. I ended going with the Maxxis - and going up one load range.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The ever elusive tire question. Everyone has an opinion and some have experience. From everything I have read on this forum it is still just opinion, from bad to good with the same brands. I will be in a position soon also for new tires on my rig and have researched and read other peoples opinions and experiences on all of them and have concluded buy what you think is good and fits your budget. There is absolutely no consensus on "the best tire" that I have found. Good luck.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
If 15", another option might be good year wrangler, which should be easily available through any good year dealer should a person need a replacement in the future.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+HT&partnum=175R5WRHTBSL...

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very pleased with the Maxxis Brand ST tires
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)