Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fleetwood Elkhorn SlideIn's

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am leaning towards a slide in and found a 2001 Elkhorn
for $7400 OBO. I know Fleetwood is still around and have heard they offer the best service on their products. I would appreciate any feedback on this product and deal. Here is the link if you'd like to take a look ::: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4318857759.html

Also, I've heard not so good things about the Lance but have always liked the features they appear to offer. I found a Lance that says short bed or long bed. Is this possible? I have a Super Duty with a standard 8' bed. One last thing. My truck has a standard 2 door cab and because of today's prevalence towards 4 door trucks, the bed area on most available campers will stick way out over my hood. Is there a model for reg cab or does this even matter. Looks to me like there may be stress issues without some form of support rams holding up the nose.
21 REPLIES 21

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.. I own my F2 Super Duty and my Lance so that's a good start to full timing.. NO Debt!

Off Road Warehouse is installing my air bags and I'm shopping for new tires. That should all be done by next week so I'm just learning about the Lance in the driveway. The wiring looks to be a big mess on the harness to the truck plug. The previous owner just texted me that the loose yellow wire gets grounded on my truck. This sounds whacky to me.

Shouldn't the plug just plug in and carry all the signals in it including all the running lights, turn incicators, back up lights etc?

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I see you got the lance congrats on the new purchase!!!!! Now your one of us, if that's a good thing I don't know!!!!!!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Lexicon7 wrote:
starcraft69 wrote:
Did you look at the other one I posted for you?

Yes thanks and it looked like a great deal but is just under 100 miles away from my location in East County San Diego. I think I have my unit and looking at it in the morning. It's a Squire 9 4 or 9 6 and has solar already installed which I love.. Thanks again, M

PS ::: Here's the link to my latest interest ::: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/4329780777.html

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:

Yes thanks and it looked like a great deal but is just under 100 miles away from my location in East County San Diego. I think I have my unit and looking at it in the morning. It's a Squire 9 4 or 9 6 and has solar already installed which I love.. Thanks again, M

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
tucker the fishing dog

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys, I am now looking at Lance and there are lots of them for sale everywhere. I agree with all posters and appreciate your responses.
Yeah that little Elkhorn will rot in dudes back yard. Way to high and not that clean inside. Molding was all coming unstuck etc.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
happy happy happy
tucker the fishing dog

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
As your search continues all I can say is www.nada.com is your friend. It will give you low and avg. retail prices of just about any RV you are looking at. This will give you a ball park of what things have been selling for.
I found it interesting in the link in your last post Tells us twice no low ballers then price is firm but chooses to leave out the year of the truck and camper and gives no information on the truck. Little things like is it a gas or diesel engine.
Good luck with your search. Getting there is 1/2 the fun.

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys, thanks for all the great responses. I looked at the Elkhorn, it is an 8S and pretty boring. I could tell it was way overpriced and looked like it had been in dudes back yard for a long time. I found a lot of Lances to look at. Actually still pretty confused as to what type of RV to go for. I like the C Classes but love my truck and it's paid off. Just for fun, check out this odd deal ::: I'll be taking a look tomorrow. I'll get back with my report. Thanks again.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4322981040.html

TCcruzn
Explorer
Explorer
I think Fleetwood went bankrupt a few years after stopping production of Truck Campers. Several Fleetwood owners have told me the warranty went with the bankruptcy. I think that says everything you need to know. Lance is a well made camper with great customer service. And they stayed in business thru the recession.
2005 F250 4x4 CC SB V10,Rancho 9000,Tough Country winch bumper, 13500# Superwinch,Firestone airbags,Yaesu 2900
2008 Lance 830,200w AMsolar,BZ highvoltage controller
Yamaha EF2000
2012 Lund 1650 Rebel XL
1967 Honda Trail 90 (on the front bumper)

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one in your area it a caribou like mine and its $5300
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/4330750637.html
tucker the fishing dog

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 98 Fleetwood caribou if you look at them just about the same camper. I also think the price is high I think $4800-$5500 is ball park here in CA for that camper. I love mine and it has been a great camper. Look for water damage in the rear of the camper push against the rear walls and wings and feel for rot, also the rear jacks how tight are they. Mine is a little older and I am having to do some rear jack and wood work this year not major but repairs all the same. you don't have to worry about the bed area over the cab it is solid and will work with your truck. I think you would be happy if its in good shape but needs to be cheaper. I would not worry about all the factory stuff you are looking at a 13 year old camper I don't think lance will do much for you on a 13year old camper so don't sweat it. Any way welcome and I hope you find the right camper for you and become one of us TC guys.
tucker the fishing dog

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
As other posters have said asking price is way way to high. NADA low retail is $4100. If you want it offer $3500. I have owned a 94 Caribou which is a Elkhorn on steroids. What your looking at is a much smaller version of my 11'6". It has been a great camper for me.
Having said that, look careful for leaks (true of any camper purchase.
It is a wood frame camper with a rubber roof. 13 years old. As a rule I consider the life span of a rubber roof as 12 years. Take a look to see if it has not been maintained.
As to the bed area over the truck cab. If there are no roof leaks don't worry about it. A crew cab offers no more support than your reg cab which is 0.
My 94 supports my 280 lbs and 150 lbs for 2 dogs.
My personal opinion is I'm happy with my Fleetwood and am buying a newer 11' 6" Caribou to get electric jacks and onboard LP gen set and under $4k. There are better deals out there.

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
7k sounds like alot for a 2001. Inspect and if no evidence of leaks and its solid, and you like it offer 4500. Firm. Theres more and safer choices for 7k. If lance factory is 4 hours away, look for a Lance. Lance made a great product.