Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fleetwood Elkhorn SlideIn's

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am leaning towards a slide in and found a 2001 Elkhorn
for $7400 OBO. I know Fleetwood is still around and have heard they offer the best service on their products. I would appreciate any feedback on this product and deal. Here is the link if you'd like to take a look ::: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4318857759.html

Also, I've heard not so good things about the Lance but have always liked the features they appear to offer. I found a Lance that says short bed or long bed. Is this possible? I have a Super Duty with a standard 8' bed. One last thing. My truck has a standard 2 door cab and because of today's prevalence towards 4 door trucks, the bed area on most available campers will stick way out over my hood. Is there a model for reg cab or does this even matter. Looks to me like there may be stress issues without some form of support rams holding up the nose.
21 REPLIES 21

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '03 Fleetwood Elkhorn 11J. This is the last year they made TCs. It has been an excellent camper for me. There is no factory support. I emailed them recently to ask where the wires were in my unit for the solar pre-wire. There response was basically "we don't make truck campers anymore."
I bought my camper in 2009 for $9,500. It was 6 years old at the time and in excellent condition. It is fully loaded with AC, gen, 2 awnings, microwave, remote jacks, dry bath, side entry, etc. The unit you are looking at is over twice as old and not as big. It think that price is rather high.
Mine had some rot at the door sill and some across the front at the bottom. Neither place was that bad and I fixed them myself in my garage.
The Fleetwood is not a high end unit. It has cheap plastic trim and the hinges on the cabinets are kind of weak. But, we have 2 small boys and a dog so we're kind of hard on things. I'm quite happy with my purchase.
As for the cabover overhang, there's not problem. A crew cab pick-up doesn't offer any additional support. It's still the same length piece of camper sticking out there. I carried mine on a reg. cab for a while. It made a nice sun visor and helped keep the rain off the windshield at low speeds. The only real issue was the radio antenna scrapped the bottom of the overhang.
The microwave in that unit is a Samsung I believe, like mine. They had a problem with turning themselves on. Samsung issued a recall. Long-story-short, I cut the cord off the microwave, took a picture, sent it to Samsung with the model number, and they sent me a check for $200.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Lance, factory is a short drive for you maybe 4hr, high quality product and lots of support on Lance Owners.com
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all, I am leaning towards a slide in and found a 2001 Elkhorn
for $7400 OBO. I know Fleetwood is still around and have heard they offer the best service on their products. I would appreciate any feedback on this product and deal. Here is the link if you'd like to take a look ::: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4318857759.html

I owned a 2000 Elkhorn 10V for about five years. I can't imagine that what you are looking at is worth more than $3500 and that is if it has no leaks, no dryrot, and the jacks are tight to the body. Elkhorn campers were notorious for leaking. Fleetwood is not in the truck camper business any more and I suspect you would get absolutely no help with anything relating to your camper. They emerged from bankruptcy and are now in the motor home end of things.

Keep looking and find something else that is in possibly better shape and at much better price.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I think it was 03 when Fleetwood stopped making slide in truck campers. So zero factory support. Has no value in my opinion, especially camper that old & looking used. There are many brand 'orphaned' campers. Only thing brand specific would be the structure itself.

In '01 fleetwood offered 4 TC lines, the Angler, Elkhorn LE, Elkhorn and Caribou. Angler was entry level-wood framed, metal sided, the Elkhorn LE was also wood framed/metal sided but had the amenities of the Elkhorn. Elkhorn & Caribou were very similar in construction with more & higher end amenities offered on the Caribou. Both al framed, filon sided but the Caribou also had aluminum roof trusses and an ABS front nose cap where the Elkhorn used wood in roof/filon nose.

As to the length of nose verses cab length, there isn't any interaction between the 2-other than it does stick way out there an extended cab doesn't change how camper nose hangs. No reason to limit yourself to an east/west bed.

I have no clue as to resale value on older campers-if everything works, structure sound, its in your budget and you like it? Inside pics of the one you linked looks like new inside-so Id focus looking for signs of water damage-outside delam, jack mounts etc if you look at it. Actually with any used unit-easy to get swayed by what, if taken care of, doesn't age (or matter).

Just a side note-that particular Elkhorn unit, bed length, non slide , 1000#+ lighter unit, (an 8R?) is the one I was going to buy but 'we' ended up with our 9u. No regrets. I'm thinking I would be more like in the 6thou range. If I were to replace ours Id be all over that one just because I'm familiar with the product. but it is 13 years old.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you can compare apple to oranges... but my 2001 Fleetwood TT is in the trailer graveyard because it was made so poorly. Just my 2 cents though.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I was looking at the fleetwood line of TCs and as I recall an Elkhorn was pretty much their entry level, just above a fisherman or some such. I think that should affect the value.
drove out to their Ohio factory to see the line and found out before my local dealer that they were switching to fiberglass sides.

bumpy

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty certain that camper is no longer made. The price seems high also for a camper that is no longer in production.