cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Floor damage - water rot - What can I do!

mwb521
Explorer
Explorer
I didnโ€™t weatherize my Pop Up and the water heater burst. Now the floor has water rot under the floor tile. It seems to be getting worse. The floor continues to get softer. Iโ€™m so sad!

What can I do??
8 REPLIES 8

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
What year is the trailer? Is it the Jayco 1206 in your profile? Are you able to crawl under it and see the damage and possibly any kind of structural members near it? If the bottom is covered with a fabric I would try to determine if there is any wet insulation between the fabric and the floor. If there is you're going to have to cut the fabric and get the wet stuff out to stop the rot. I'll bet it's not that hard to repair. But do you have a place to store it and work on it? A garage would be ideal, but at the very least you want to be able to cover it when you're not working on it.

Probably the hardest part of the whole project is going to be documenting disassembly and storing all the nuts bolts and screws in well labeled zip-loc baggies so you are able to put it back together when you are done repairing.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the unfortunate pleasure of working on this exact problem a couple of times in a Motorhome. I can't speak to the design in a tent trailer but the fix I did last time was a winner. I did not pull all the furnishings out to accomplish the task although I was able to expose at least two metal cross members in which to start the mending process.

Pull out as much rotten wood as possible, in a tent camper removing large items and cabinets may be an easier task? Make a long story short, I used steel uni strut along with dimensional lumber as my new outriggers thus eliminating all sag. Laid down exterior plywood(3/4" in my case) and since I was going to tile some area's, I put Hardy board down in other area's I used wood flooring. Six years later and all is still SOLID with no cracked time.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it is true everything, including the walls set on top of the floor, and to build as new would need strip to frame. But how big is the soft area? If it is a limited area, get underneath, find a place near the area where you can drill, and measure how thick it is. Now set the depth of skill saw to cut just above the steel, make a hole that removes the rot, and patch the hole.

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
As with any repair job, you really don't know what you have until you get into it. Can be an easy job or it can be a can of worms. If you are handy with tools, then go for it. Take your time, take pictures as you take things apart for when you put things back together and do the best you can. Use a good quality floor replacement, you only want to do this once. Good Luck on whatever you decide on.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

mwb521
Explorer
Explorer
I was told it isnโ€™t easy to replace the floor because of the way they are constructed. Is it really that simple?

I would love to bring it to AZ. The PUP is in northern Utah now.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
theres a deal.. or call a local rv tech . not a bad job just some time needed.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Pull everything out of the box, pull out the rotted wood, replace wood, lay some linoleum down, put stuff back in......TAAAADAAAA, new camper.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the floor