cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

floorplan question; slideouts blocking refer while in

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Couple looking to buy a 29-31 (box size, overall 35-36)TT for min 2 year full-time road trip. I must have a rear living room plan with opposing slides and prefer a kitchen island, but island not critical. With slides in, some plans (island plans it seems) eliminate access to the entire kitchen including all appliances. Of the ones I've found with islands, some are designed to allow access to refer and pantry (slides in). With slides out, the refer/ pantry locations seem silly, until I figured out its due to providing access. All allow access to bedroom and bath, regardless. I've never lived in a TT or road tripped like this, but estimate 20% boondocking/ walmarts and the balance in parks.

How important is it that at least the refer/ pantry be accessible when the slides are in?

Thanks so much for any advice on buying right the first time.
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack
15 REPLIES 15

janesurzosky
Explorer
Explorer
Movable island would be great. Try that.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
outwestbound - Glad to see you back. Seen many posters who come and post their question and don't return, so I didn't want to risk wasting time.

Getting that desk will put you into a whole different set of (larger / heavier)trailers, but in my case, the pantries are accessible with the slides in, but the fridge is not. The fridge doors can be opened with the slides ai but you'd have to lean over the long counter to across the contents of the fridge. However if you open to so-called curbside slide enough to get by then the fridge is wholly accessible without moving the sheetside slide. It is important to be able to access fridge and pantries only if picking up groceries while in transit.

More importantly, the bathroom, bedroom, and hall closet are all accessible with all slides in.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
outwestbound wrote:

How important is it that at least the refer/ pantry be accessible when the slides are in?

I dunno...how important is it to you? I mean this in nice way, not trying to be a jerk by any means, but it is up to you.

We bought a rear living room / island kitchen / opposing slides arrangement like you described. I thought about the access issues like this when we bought it this past fall. I realized, for us, it did not matter. If we stop anywhere that we cannot open the slides and get to the whole kitchen / living area, then it only will be for a quick bathroom break or possibly some sleep anyway, so it's fine since that's not blocked by slides.

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Suffice it to say my criteria was very similar to yours and after 6+ months we are very happy with our choice.

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at a little bigger, but am impressed with your plan's functionality. I'll post when I get my TT list down to about 3. This slide matter really hit home when we got interested in a Coachmen 322RLDS plan. Then I found a Keystone Cougar XLite 32SAB that allows access to the entire kitchen with slides in, but the refer is otherwise in an awkward location when slides are out, but ok I guess. I love the office desk by the TV (large desk area), which I need and few seem to offer under 32 feet box size (about 36 overall). It's bewildering when looking at all available brands. I'm only looking at lighter TTs, so that narrows the field. I'm getting a maxed out F150 new that's rated for 11,100, and I want about 2,000lbs as a cushion, so light is the way to go.

I figured I'd find 3-4 plans then get forum help rating them by best manufacturer. I'm trying to stay $28,000 - $32,000 new. I'm fine with used, if it's close enough to spec.

This forum is very helpful. Thanks to all for the input. If all goes well, we'll hit the road in 2015 for 2-3 years.
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
My bedroom slide blocks two drawers and the living room slide blocks some drawers and the pantry. We just pack to suit and can do everything inside without moving the slides. None of the vents for air or heat are blocked either.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
outwestbound wrote:
Hi. Couple looking to buy a 29-31 (box size, overall 35-36)TT for min 2 year full-time road trip. I must have a rear living room plan with opposing slides and prefer a kitchen island, but island not critical.

Please have a look at my floor plan and if it is what you are looking for l will elaborate and answer all your questions. Suffice it to say my criteria was very similar to yours and after 6+ months we are very happy with our choice.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tomkaren13 wrote:
Would not buy any unit that the Bathroom, refrigerator and bedroom are not accessable with slides in. Had one occasion where we did an overnight and could not put slide out.

yep, my chieftain was fully useable with the living room slide in and I usually didn't put it out for overnight stops. the bedroom slide blocked a couple of drawers if in so just packed accordingly.
bumpy

rav
Explorer
Explorer
our last TT the bath, kitchen and bedroom were all accessible with the slides in, one of the main reasons we purchased it.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge is blocked by the island when slide is in. It is a non-issue. If we want something it takes but a second to partially open the slide and get what we want and close again. Has never bothered us. Have total access to bedroom and bathroom.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Would not buy any unit that the Bathroom, refrigerator and bedroom are not accessable with slides in. Had one occasion where we did an overnight and could not put slide out.

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided on a Jay Flight 33 RLDS (that we're hoping to be in 2-3 months) and this was one of the questions we asked. About a month ago we went to a nearby dealer who pulled one of these units inside so we could look it over closely.

This one has opposing slide-outs that are huge (13' wide and almost 3' deep). The fridge and pantry are on one side and the kitchen table/dinette are on the other. With both slides closed the fridge and pantry are both fully accessible and you can also sit at the table/dinette. The bathroom is towards the front so it's also accessible.

Our concern was were these things accessible going down the road, but also if we got into a situation (small campsites) where we had to camp with one slide or the other closed. This unit is 35'overall and with both slides open it's right at 14' wide.
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
On my TT if the slide is in bathroom and rear bunk room aren't accessible; front bedroom, kitchen, dinette and couch are. If we need access to bunk room or bath I open the slide 12-18"... Very manageable for us.

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
My criteria was if all slides were in, and I had complete access to the WHOLE rig then it was a keeper. The only place I don't have access in my rig is my half of the closet.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
Our FW has a moveable island. It is on wheels (they can be locked in place once in position) and is stored at the back of the FW during travel between the slides. This makes the refer and entire kitchen accessible while slides are in. You may look for floor plans with that option. We saw several when we were looking. Good luck.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually