cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida Keys Camping - Part #2

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
After reading a great post from "Kidoo" called "Florida Keys Camping, any recommendations" and not wanting to hijack his post, I have a question for my truck camper friends.

After reading and thinking about what everyone wrote on "Kidoo" post the Wife and I are convinced that we should seriously consider the Florida Keys for next winter. We have never been there and need your help.

We are looking at going for two months (January and February 2015). I have emailed three camp grounds (Knights Key, Jolly Roger, & Boyd's) and it looks like getting a spot should not be a major problem.

We will not be removing the truck camper from the truck while there and don't have a problem driving to go different places. We would like to get a waterfront site, full hook ups, clean washrooms and great beach if possible.

What we cannot figure out is where is the best location to stay. Any suggestions for a two month stay in the Keys would be appreciated?

Paul
12 REPLIES 12

MUSKYJACK
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprized that SUNSHINE CAMPGROUND was not recommended. I have stayed there over a dozen times. Milemarker 39 on OHIO KEY at the end of the 7 mile bridge. Waterfront sites are large, full hookups, pool,marina etc. they are associated with ENCORE PROPERTIES. MUSKYJACK

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all your information. If anyone else has any more information on the Keys and your experiences, please post.

Thanks again.

Paul

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are very few beaches in the keys.
When I asked about a waterfront site at Jolly Roger they said I'd pretty much have To wait for someone to die....they are booked every year by the same people. Being waterfront has its own issues. In the keys, wind is one of them, plus the salt spray rusts everything.
We stayed at Knights key as well. We also preferred jolly roger. Nice park, friendly people.
I love the Sunset Bar too, but we just drove there.

Bahia Honda would be great. IF you can get a spot. We tried for months, unsuccessfully.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
The more info the better, we would love to go next year too.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out Pelican RV Park and Motel.

I very nice, but older park on the bay side of Grassy Key, just east of Marathon, that can only handle smaller RV's.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Surfrat
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Two years ago we drove down to Sugarloaf Key. WE stayed at the KOA there. Bit pricy and for the first three days were the only truck camper there. Very nice place, even had a tackle/bait shop on premise and right next to a fishing bridge. Had all the bells and whistles, even a dog walk area, very nice ( unless you were a tent camper, than you were in a swamp when it rained ). Stayed 9 days but canceled last day to give more travel time back. Place emptied out after March 1st. Owner even offered two extra days free if we stayed original 10th day. What was funny, over heard people looking for a site being quoted full price and when they were shocked were told " this IS the KEYS sir ).

Sharps45120
Explorer
Explorer
Second vote for Jolly Roger. Since we stayed in 2011, they have added a pool so that is a nice addition. My only complaint was the showers - rig yourself a weight with a hook to hold the chain down on the shower so you can wash and rinse at the same time. That was a real PITA, although with the subsequent upgrades they've done there in the 3 years since we stayed, the showers may have improved.

But we found the people staying at Jolly Roger to be exceptionally friendly and my son ended up with 4 sets of surrogate grandparents the 2 weeks we were there!
"As I stand on the beach~I slowly surrender~To the child in me~That can't say goodbye." ~ Jimmy Buffet

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Knight key doesn't have sewer hook up. They do have a trailer that comes around and dumps it for a small fee or you can drive over to there dump station.

I would spread out your stays in multiple RV spots...

Knights is one of our favorites because of the Sunset Tiki Bar down the street.

Red Coconut in Ft Myers is also on our list. Camping beach side is great..
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford two months at Boyds I want to be your new best friend. It was $95 per night when we stayed for three days a couple of years ago. Our waterfront site was about 10 feet wide and was so close to our neighbor we could not extend our awning. BUT it is a perfect spot for Key West touring.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge is mentioned often. Might be a place to add to your research.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Boyds every year and as mepboat said, It is dated but clean. The first time we went I booked a waterfront site. When we arrived I changed it to an inland site. The sites are small and I felt the waterfront sites to be even smaller. As far as beaches there are a few...our favorite is Fort Zachary Taylor State park. It is close to the southernmost point and about 5 miles from the park. Like mepboat said...the sand is fairly rocky. We never looked at Jolly Roger or Knights Key. The place we love the most is Bluewater...but as discussed before they won't let you in with a TC. In the past few years we have started exploring the Middle Keys and think the best beach in The Keys can be found at Bahia Honda State Park. I don't think they have full hookups but if you're leaving the TC on ... you could dump when you go out!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

mepboat
Explorer
Explorer
As we have posted before we love Jolly Roger. It is right on the Gulf. The sites are a very good size. The ones on the south side are just HUGE. They do have water sites. There is no beach but there is a dock, seawall where you can enter the water for a swimming area or just sit and watch the beautiful gulf. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. There is not much in walking distance but being in Marathon it is centrally located for a short drive to where ever you want to go. The restrooms are new and beautiful. The pool is one year old and it and the surrounding grounds are well kept and gorgeous.

We stay at Boyds when we are going to Key West. It is a great location to Key West where you can take the local bus, taxi or ride a bike to Duval street. The grounds are very nice. The sites are a little tight. There are some water sites with nice views of the ocean. The beach is not what one would call a beach. Very small. Key West is not know for its beaches. There are some but owned by the local hotels and motels for their guests. The public used beaches are pretty rocky if I remember right. As far as the facilities at Boyds, they are dated but clean. The pool is very nice and there is a store there with RV items, clothes, jewelry, snacks etc.

We stopped at Knights Key but did not stay. Just drove through and it really didn't strike us as somewhere we wanted to stay. We did not check out the facilities or look much into it. The location is good and there is a good restaurant nearby.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your decision. Each has its own merits and there are many other places throughout the keys.