cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flushing water tank.

mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer
Ok new here and the GF says I need to flush the water tank.
When we picked up our new Passport 145 EXP the dealership filled our water tank, My question is, Did they flush the new tank before filling.
11 REPLIES 11

BigSkyTrailer_G
Explorer
Explorer
Mike& Sally: right now, Google "RV water fill" and study the images: One of these fixtures is surely what you'll be looking for on the outside of your RV. Where?... locate your fresh water tank (probably under a dinette sink??) Go out side the RV where you found the tank. Set into the side about waist high, (about where your drain is) you'll find the fixture to fill your tank (with a your garden hose). Fill it about half way, then add 1/4 cup of Bleach, then fill it all the way. Then get on with opening the faucets one at a time until you smell bleach. Let all this concoction sit for some hours, then run faucets, drain refill, at least once, or until you're comfortable with the taste. Chlorine bleach goes away after a day or two.

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Add the unscented bleach to the hose before hooking it up to the RV, then turn on the water.

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
ok, such a newbie here. I've read all about how to clean and flush it, rinse it. But how the heck do I add the Clorox to the tank. There's got to be a way somehow. I know where the drain is and how to connect the hose for filling but I have no idea how to add the clorox. And yes I use bottled water but I sure would like to use my ice maker with clean good water for obvious reasons. tks in advance/Mikey
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks for reply's....
We always take bottled water for drinking.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Highly doubt dealer went to the trouble of flushing fresh water tank.

Should be a tank drain on bottom of RV.

Sanitize tank/plumbing lines with household bleach (1/4 cup per 15 gallons of water)

Add appropriate amount of bleach to fresh water tank....turn on water pump and open faucets (hot/cold) one at a time until water flows and you can smell the bleach (Kitchen sink/bathroom sink/shower faucets and toilet. Then let some water out of low point drains (drains for hot/cold plumbing lines).

Leave over night........then drain fresh water tank, drain water heater, fill/flush tank. Then fill tank.......flush hot/cold lines/low point drains to get rid of bleach water.

Little baking soda added to fresh water tank helps

This is correct.

REALLY? seems like overkill.... I ran some water in it, flushed it, ran some more water in it.... never stank, never tasted funny. There's enough chlorine in city water that you won't have a problem if you just flush it. And if you don't have city water, what are you worried about? you're drinking well/spring water.

I don't do the sanitize routine except when first purchasing an RV (new or used) cause I have no idea WHAT has been done.
After 1st sanitize job I don't do again unless I actually have an issue.
Otherwise.......I fill and use
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

go_wild
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
I do the bleach thing too. Every spring

x2 I also drain the fresh water tank, lines, and water heater after every trip. Takes maybe 5 minutes.
2007 Jeep Commander 4X4 HEMI
2010 Jayco 17Z

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I do the bleach thing too. Every spring
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sanitize tank/plumbing lines with household bleach (1/4 cup per 15 gallons of water)

Add appropriate amount of bleach to fresh water tank....turn on water pump and open faucets (hot/cold) one at a time until water flows and you can smell the bleach (Kitchen sink/bathroom sink/shower faucets and toilet. Then let some water out of low point drains (drains for hot/cold plumbing lines).

Leave over night........then drain fresh water tank, drain water heater, fill/flush tank. Then fill tank.......flush hot/cold lines/low point drains to get rid of bleach water.

This is correct.

REALLY? seems like overkill.... I ran some water in it, flushed it, ran some more water in it.... never stank, never tasted funny. There's enough chlorine in city water that you won't have a problem if you just flush it. And if you don't have city water, what are you worried about? you're drinking well/spring water.
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

This is correct.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just spoke with them and they said 'no'.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman