cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 6.2 gas vs 7.3 gas highway gas milage

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have real world HIGHWAY gas milage figures for a Ford Super Duty with about 3000lbs of truck camper in the bed? I’m specifically wondering about 2017-2021 F250 and F350 trucks with the 6.2 gas and new 7.3 gas engines. Reading online I see claims of similar or maybe only 1mpg less with the new 7.3 gas engine, but what about in the real world? (I know they have their place, but not interested Diesel numbers)
http://flyte63.blogspot.com
56 REPLIES 56

gsutton
Explorer
Explorer
i just finished a 1400 mile trip with the 6.2 in an f250 super cab 8 ft. bed 6 speed and 3.73 axle hauling a lance 1010 @3500 lbs. and pulling a 7/16 enclosed trailer loaded to about 3500 lb.realy hammered the truck both ways at 70-80 mph when safe with strong head winds.plenty of power 7.9 mpg.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyte63 wrote:
Thanks for your inputs, I know there are a lot of variables that affect MPG but I was interested to hear about any truck camper experience with the new 7.3 engine. Planning to order a custom build F350 soon and spec’d the way that I want the cost difference in the engines is only $1000. Initially I was scared off from it with it being new and expecting it would have lower MPG, but given that owners are reporting highway milage is basically the same as the old 6.2 I think the 7.3 might be the right choice.

This is what is being reported. I would not hesitate to get the 7.3 gasser.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
New technology brings better stuff those days on daily bases.
I am diesel guy but I see that 6.2l is several years older technology, so you can expect more from newer engine.

Except the 7.3 is arguably a revival of old technology.
Aside from maybe a more complex engine management system, the 7.3 is a simpler, older basic design.
Nothing magic with the 7.3. Everything that is old is new again with that engine.

Forgot about your mythical 60mpg Mercedes though. Thanks for the laugh.
Where are the “new” 70 mpg models? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
New technology brings better stuff those days on daily bases.
I am diesel guy but I see that 6.2l is several years older technology, so you can expect more from newer engine.
Beside heavy vehicles, I drive 2 tons sedan who makes 60 mpg on highway and that's 7 yo technology, when newer engine is not only lighter, but more powerful and 15% more efficient.
Since you are buying new, go for the latest.
You would not buy 5 yo cellphone?
For custom build I strongly advise 360 cameras. I also had ultimate tow package, but that was expensive and did not work with camper skirts.

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your inputs, I know there are a lot of variables that affect MPG but I was interested to hear about any truck camper experience with the new 7.3 engine. Planning to order a custom build F350 soon and spec’d the way that I want the cost difference in the engines is only $1000. Initially I was scared off from it with it being new and expecting it would have lower MPG, but given that owners are reporting highway milage is basically the same as the old 6.2 I think the 7.3 might be the right choice.
http://flyte63.blogspot.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not surprising that the 2 engines get similar mileage. Especially loaded.
At any rate, the difference between them and the other 2 brands will not be enough to sway a purchase.
It’s uncanny how folks get interested in fuel mileage. Pretty much all newer vehicles of similar size and configuration get about the same mileage.
And with a camper on, a big gasser will get about 8 if you drive it normally, and 1-2mpg better if driving slow, with an egg on the gas pedal.
But then the terrain, weather, altitude and wind will make more difference than the difference between vehicles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reality Check wrote:
We have one 6.2... a 2017 4x ext cab, and although it doesn't carry a camper.... it tows a trailer, 26' box (read...wind resistance) which is approx 6000lbs. It gets about 8.1 avg in the mountains. Obviously better on the flats.

I have opposite experience. When driving big vehicle in the mountains, driving in 40-50 mph range I am getting very good mpg.
Once I hit flat freeway, the speed goes one way and fuel gauge the opposite.
When I was moving from San Francisco area to Vegas, I made 3 trips with cargo trailer. Going from SF to LV loaded I always had way better mpg, than going back empty, even I always kept my CC at 60 mph. It was all in desert winds.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a new 2020 6.2l with ten speed tranny. Hard to believe but all reports indicate both the 6.2 and 7.3 are getting very similar mpg.
At the time we purchased our truck the 7.3 were very limited in inventory. Don’t know what the supply looks like now.
In any case the 6.2 has been great for us-no complaints.
We haul a 4500# TC or tow up to 12,000#. No problems at all. Very pleased with this truck.
Bill

Edit; I realized I didn’t answer your question. An average weekend trip for us with the TC is ~500 miles. Fuel consumption is ~ 11 mpg. Pretty much what I was getting with the previous diesel. Love the 48 gal tank in this truck. I filled up yesterday and (without TC) have a projected range of > 600 miles.
We have now completed our first full season of hauling the TC or towing the Airstream to all of our usual haunts. Very happy with this truck and the decision to go with gas.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have one 6.2... a 2017 4x ext cab, and although it doesn't carry a camper.... it tows a trailer, 26' box (read...wind resistance) which is approx 6000lbs. It gets about 8.1 avg in the mountains. Obviously better on the flats.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think for real life comparison fuelly.com is the best site, even you will find some reports that are way off the line.
But standard procedure for comparing statistics - you ignore the high and low extremes.
The 7.3l owners report between 10.8 and 12.4 mpg
6.2l reports 9.6 to 12.4mpg
7.3 l is newer engine and expected to have better fuel management.
The above numbers are without explanation what load, so most likely empty truck.
Big camper will cut down 30-40%
We can split hair here, but reading the statistics - the higher mpg are reported by owners with just few fill ups, when those with 30-50 fill ups have it going down.
I would interpret that that new owners drive carefully for some time and lower speeds bring higher mpg. Once they start putting miles on it, they start pushing it and mpg drops.
It is also common that new truck is used for grocery getter and showing off, when aged trucks are getting beaten up with hauling and towing.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
According to real world MPG from owners the 7.3 is getting better mpg. I was surprised to see that.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1614398-updated-7-3-mpg-8.html#post19663873
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
general comment
You should know that weight differences with different load plays minimal role in highway mpg. They do on city driving.
What matters a lot in highway/freeway driving is frontal area and aerodynamics.
Than last comment about gas engine mpg
"if you have to ask, you can't afford it"