cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ford ecoboost

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all...my wife and I r going to buy a larger tt in the 7500 pound range. The new ford f150 ecoboost properly equipped is rated at 11300 with the 3.73 limited slip dif.

The f250 superduty w diesel is way overkill and another 20k in cost.

Anybody had experience w the ecoboost....340 pound feet of torque btw...thx.., bo
83 REPLIES 83

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun topic, because everyone wants to believe that their tow rig is the best thing since sliced bread.

I had an F150 7700# payload package 5.4L, it towed my Airstream OK, it was a little slow in the Rockies, but once we were east of the Rockies that thing would go like skinned s()$. The thing I didn't like was the brakes, i never felt comfortable with the stopping power.

Perhaps Ford has addressed that on the newer F150s, I just know going to the Ram 3500 I felt a lot more comfortable with the Stopping power.

The down side of going to a one ton, DW says gee I guess we can have a bigger TT now.

windpusher
Explorer
Explorer
Its not the 3.5 ltr engine that effects your towing with the F150.
That little engine is about as close to diesel performance as you can get in a gas engine and with a lot less cost. What does effect the F150 is the frame and braking. Because I am at heart a very conservative person and like to enjoy driving safely; I would be very critical of any of the half tons towing a total weight of 11,000 lbs.
Now that might change with the 2015 F150 with reinforced frame and Alum. composite body. Its supposed to put the F150 close to Chevy and Dodge 2500's. If it does I think Ford will then use the composite body on the HD's to boost those numbers. Remember a lot of this is driven by the EPA for better gas numbers. Still waiting on the build sheets for the F150's. They should be on their web site by now but are not.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
majorgator wrote:
Here is the way I see it...the eco has a rated tow cap of 11300 with all the options...using 80 per cent rule I am at 9000...tt is 7300 so I have 1700 to play with..with 2300 on top of that...truck hauling cap is over 2600...ok here too...where am I going wrong not buying a 250 and going w the eco super crew....bo

As I've said many times before, to pull a trailer of that size with a 1/2 ton V6 lightweight truck is not a good idea. Is the 11,300# number what they advertise? If so, that's absolutely insane. Just remember, there are way more factors involved in safe towing than just what TV claims it can tow. That 11,300# number isn't far off from what the 7.3 powerstrokes were rated at not too long ago. Don't be fooled by advertising. Tow capacities are developed by the manufacturer, not any sort of independent testing authority.

Another thing is that I would wonder about what many people claim they are towing, in terms of weight, with their ecoBoost trucks. Of everyone that is claiming high tow numbers, are they legitimately verifying this with a scale, or is it just a guess? My trailer dry weight is about 4500 lbs. I'm going camping this weekend and I highly doubt I will have anything more than 350 to 400 lbs of loaded gear...that's a trip for me, the wife, and 3 kids. I'm big into offshore fishing. People go out and say they were in 5-6 foot seas. Truth is, they were in 2-3 foot seas and either don't know the difference or they are exaggerating.

And I've also said before, I'm a highly experienced tower. I've towed with newer model 1/2 ton chevy's, fords, and dodges. I used to have a newer model 3/4 ton duramax and currently do have an older model 1 ton powerstroke. I'm not afraid to hook up anything behind anything and haul it from here to California, and in some cases, at high speeds. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks have a much greater comfort level about them with the larger loads. It's a comfort level that you just won't get in a 1/2 ton truck.

I wouldn't count it out just because it's a V6. I'm not disagreeing with the rest of you points , nor do I care. I'm just saying that modern engines make more power then in the old days and the simple fact that it's a V6 alone is not a factor. If you wanted to say it's a bad engine for towing for other reasons that you could describe then I would understand. I'm just saying the V6 point is not valid.

After all there was a time when people said if you want good power in your car then you had have to have a Straight 8.

Again, I'm neither defending, or arguing, for the engine. I'm just saying the simple fact of the cylinder arrangement is not a issue.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
No one here, not once, has advocated pushing the truck and cargo to 100% of rating

Really???? Pushing it to the limit is discussed on almost everyone of these threads. Maybe not always for tow capacities, but it's an almost daily discussion when it comes to payload and/or tongue weight.

And I never suggested that ford or anyone else lies about their tow ratings. All I'm pointing out is that they and only they determine how to test it. As far as you or I know, that max tow rating might be developed in 3rd gear not exceeding 50 MPH on grade not exceeding 5% at 80 deg temps, 10% humidity, and no rain...only on Tuesdays.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

gunner65
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
Here is the way I see it...the eco has a rated tow cap of 11300 with all the options...using 80 per cent rule I am at 9000...tt is 7300 so I have 1700 to play with..with 2300 on top of that...truck hauling cap is over 2600...ok here too...where am I going wrong not buying a 250 and going w the eco super crew....bo

As I've said many times before, to pull a trailer of that size with a 1/2 ton V6 lightweight truck is not a good idea. Is the 11,300# number what they advertise? If so, that's absolutely insane. Just remember, there are way more factors involved in safe towing than just what TV claims it can tow. That 11,300# number isn't far off from what the 7.3 powerstrokes were rated at not too long ago. Don't be fooled by advertising. Tow capacities are developed by the manufacturer, not any sort of independent testing authority.

Another thing is that I would wonder about what many people claim they are towing, in terms of weight, with their ecoBoost trucks. Of everyone that is claiming high tow numbers, are they legitimately verifying this with a scale, or is it just a guess? My trailer dry weight is about 4500 lbs. I'm going camping this weekend and I highly doubt I will have anything more than 350 to 400 lbs of loaded gear...that's a trip for me, the wife, and 3 kids. I'm big into offshore fishing. People go out and say they were in 5-6 foot seas. Truth is, they were in 2-3 foot seas and either don't know the difference or they are exaggerating.

Because Ford loves to have to pay out to enormous lawsuits, they quite often lie about what is safe to tow (SMH). No one here, not once, has advocated pushing the truck and cargo to 100% of rating but I wouldnt recommend doing that with a 3/4 or 1 ton either. I have about 10K towing miles under my belt and had 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons keep it well within the numbers and there is absolutely nothing unsafe about it. I would also ask someone making these claims if they have ever put one to the test? No? Just speculating?

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer

And I've also said before, I'm a highly experienced tower. I've towed with newer model 1/2 ton chevy's, fords, and dodges. I used to have a newer model 3/4 ton duramax and currently do have an older model 1 ton powerstroke. I'm not afraid to hook up anything behind anything and haul it from here to California, and in some cases, at high speeds. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks have a much greater comfort level about them with the larger loads. It's a comfort level that you just won't get in a 1/2 ton truck.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

boingram
Explorer
Explorer

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2011 F-150 EcoBoost 4x4 with tow package, no issues with 5000 lb. dry weight TT.

X2 on towing before you modify. It may suit you just fine.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I've got no issue either, max tow and 157".
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

gunner65
Explorer
Explorer
I would tow with it first one mans week suspension maybe another mans dream. No sense in investing in expensive shocks and springs before deciding for yourself. Mine has no issue at all with stock suspension and a 6500lb travel trailer 750lb hitch weight. Towed with it twice now and its a dream. I do have max tow and 157" wheelbase so that may be a factor.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
boulderado wrote:
Thanks, NiasWagn and brulaz, for the advice on upgraded springs and shocks. We will be using the F-150 mostly for towing and related driving while camping so I am not too concerned with it not riding like a Lexus when unloaded.

Any suggestions on rear shocks (make/model)? Probably can't go wrong with a pair of Bilsteins?

Bilsteins are very popular. Have heard nothing but good reviews for them.

I went with Ford's HD shocks, but, in retrospect, would be happier with something even stiffer. Maybe that would be Bilstein?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

boulderado
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, NiasWagn and brulaz, for the advice on upgraded springs and shocks. We will be using the F-150 mostly for towing and related driving while camping so I am not too concerned with it not riding like a Lexus when unloaded.

Any suggestions on rear shocks (make/model)? Probably can't go wrong with a pair of Bilsteins?
Knut and Susan FMCA 351422
[black]'18 Keystone Cougar 24 SABWS[/black]
[black]'19 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 SuperCrew Ecoboost aka Big Red[/black]
[black]Blue Ox SwayPro® Weight Distributing Hitch[/black]

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
NiasWagn wrote:
My EB had a spongy feel to it when I bought it. I took it down to the local suspension shop and added a leaf spring. It cost me about $300 and it made the world of difference.

Most "half-tons" have the suspension tuned for a soft ride when unloaded, as they're usually used for commuting or "grocery-getting".

And when loaded up they wallow all over the place.

So we too beefed up our suspension (springs and shocks) and added LT tires. Makes it much better for towing and not bad at all when unloaded. I prefer a "crisp" ride anyway.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
My EB had a spongy feel to it when I bought it. I took it down to the local suspension shop and added a leaf spring. It cost me about $300 and it made the world of difference.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly