cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford increasing EcoBoost power

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Ford has done some work with the EcoBoost and 5.0L.

EcoBoost power increase
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS
26 REPLIES 26

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned 3 Ecoboost vehicles since 2010, I can say that Ford's 3.5 twin turbo motor is outstanding. Great reliability, insane power, and decent economy.

My wife is currently enjoying the heck out of her 2016 Taurus SHO. With 0-60 times right at 5 seconds, All Wheel Drive handling, 25mpg on the highway and a trunk the size of Rhode Island, what's not to love??

I definitely think Ford hit a home run with this engine, it's not surprising to see the power numbers climb. After all....it's the same engine(well not exactly) they use in the new GT at over 640hp.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
Impressive numbers. I'd be interested in the new Navigator but it will be priced above what I'm willing to pay. Maybe when it gets a few years old.

As far as rust, I thought that was a thing of the past until I started traveling for work in Iowa. Rust is terrible. For all brands.

Ford may have an edge here with more aluminum in their vehicles, but that does bring up some other problems.

Yep, check out the front edge of the hoods and tailgates. I can only imagine how an all aluminum body is going to look!

More power is nice, but a vehicle that gets better mileage and looks better and lasts longer is more appealing to me and I'm sure many others out there.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Impressive numbers. I'd be interested in the new Navigator but it will be priced above what I'm willing to pay. Maybe when it gets a few years old.

As far as rust, I thought that was a thing of the past until I started traveling for work in Iowa. Rust is terrible. For all brands.

Ford may have an edge here with more aluminum in their vehicles, but that does bring up some other problems.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
hellfirehydra wrote:
Not going to lie, I'd love for the wife to get a Ford SUV with 475ft/lbs of torque! I bet they are a hoot to drive. Anyone have an idea of what the explorers actually sell for in a mid level trim these days?

I'm a wife and I have a 2016 Explorer Sport with the EcoBoost (so, 2nd highest trim level I guess, behind the Platinum), bought in July for around $42,000, which was invoice price. I test drove a fully loaded one with a sticker of close to $50k. Mine doesn't have every single bell and whistle (namely no power liftgate or sunroof and a bench second row vs captain's chairs) but it's pretty fully loaded otherwise. Used ones that were a few years old with 20-30k miles were in the 37-38k range which is why I opted for brand new.

I'm close to 18,000 miles in, and I love love love it. It's a blast to drive and it looks really nice, I have the charcoal gray "Magnetic" color, with full window tints. It was my daily until April, when we decided to get a Fusion commuter car (also with an EcoBoost!) to share. I get around 21mpg with combined back roads/stop and go driving. I was getting close to 25 when on a multi-state road trip. My previous was a 2013 Edge with a 3.5 and I got only slightly better mileage on that....like .5-1 more, and this Explorer has way more guts than that Edge did. My only minor complaint is that it really does need Premium fuel, so that hurts a bit... not as much now that I don't drive it every day.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Volkov wrote:
Yeah, but all that towing power in an 8 passenger vehicle is useless without payload. How about an HD payload version? Looked at the Expy to replace the old 2500 Yukon XL. Our family of 6 and 2 dogs is over 1000# and we are small on a N. American scale. Looking at door stickers on the lot, the best any Expy had to offer was 1350#. Leaving a whopping 350 of tongue weight to be at max capacity.

XLT starts at $47,125
XLT EL starts at $49,835
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
hellfirehydra wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
As a gear head, those numbers are just mind blowing! 400 ft lbs and 400hp option or more out of a pair of little blown V6s and a small, small block? Great time to be a Murican! Take that leaf lickers!

I don't even like Ford, but Go Ford!

Totally agree! I was definitely an Ecoboost skeptic and refused to consider one for my 1/2 ton 4 or 5 years ago. Turbo engines have come and gone over the years and always made good power but usually had many other issues. The Ecoboost at this point has proven itself to me as a good engine with incredible power. If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton I would definitely consider one and would love for the wife to pick one up as our grocery getter SUV.

Hard to believe family cars are running around with 400hp these days after I spent my teenage years souping up cars trying to get close to those numbers in sports cars. I really hope in the future Ford can pull off a HD application of a turbo charged gas engine. It could really turn the HD truck market on its head if they are able to do so successfully.

A reliable gasoline V8 with a turbo(s) that put out diesel like torque/power would probably sell a lot in the current market.

I was very happy with my EcoBoost F150.. however, Ford left off the "Eco" part for some reason. I traded up to a RAM Cummins.
better mpg towing. A turbocharged gas engine is not going to be eco in any way when you actually USE that power..

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Wow, how nice. When are they going to stop them rusting/corroding in 3 years, and rotting in 5?!!!

As soon as they quit selling them in IL and other rust belt states!

Worked for me. Haven't had a speck of rust in over 20 years since I left the land of Lincoln.
Wuz just thinking that the other day as I washed the wife's 11 year old car (no rust). Just out of high school 1990, in IL, I bought a 1980 Chevy Blazer to plow snow with. Left side was so rusted, the sheet metal flapped in the wind and there was a pre made spitter in the drivers side floor (rusted clean through). Right side of the truck was just starting to rust and still looked perfect. That's cause the right side of the body had been replaced probably at about 5 years old.
X-2 My 99 Ford from TX has zero rust as well as my 2000 Excursion from TX. My 97 Blazer from Ohio has rust, even the brake lines rusted in two. I drive the old Blazer when they have salt on the roads and leave the Diesel parked.

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
As a gear head, those numbers are just mind blowing! 400 ft lbs and 400hp option or more out of a pair of little blown V6s and a small, small block? Great time to be a Murican! Take that leaf lickers!

Totally agree! I was definitely an Ecoboost skeptic and refused to consider one for my 1/2 ton 4 or 5 years ago. Turbo engines have come and gone over the years and always made good power but usually had many other issues. The Ecoboost at this point has proven itself to me as a good engine with incredible power. If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton I would definitely consider one and would love for the wife to pick one up as our grocery getter SUV.

Hard to believe family cars are running around with 400hp these days after I spent my teenage years souping up cars trying to get close to those numbers in sports cars. I really hope in the future Ford can pull off a HD application of a turbo charged gas engine. It could really turn the HD truck market on its head if they are able to do so successfully.

A reliable gasoline V8 with a turbo(s) that put out diesel like torque/power would probably sell a lot in the current market.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll have to get some pictures of the 3-5 year old vehicles that come in at work!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Wow, how nice. When are they going to stop them rusting/corroding in 3 years, and rotting in 5?!!!

As soon as they quit selling them in IL and other rust belt states!

Worked for me. Haven't had a speck of rust in over 20 years since I left the land of Lincoln.
Wuz just thinking that the other day as I washed the wife's 11 year old car (no rust). Just out of high school 1990, in IL, I bought a 1980 Chevy Blazer to plow snow with. Left side was so rusted, the sheet metal flapped in the wind and there was a pre made spitter in the drivers side floor (rusted clean through). Right side of the truck was just starting to rust and still looked perfect. That's cause the right side of the body had been replaced probably at about 5 years old.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's another article on this topic.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very impressive line up...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
hellfirehydra wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

I haven't seen that since the 90s on any of the big 3s trucks...and they were all guilty of it then.

Either you guys don't live in an area with rust issues or your completely ignoring the obvious. Ive seen trucks from the big 3 as new as 2013 rotting away! Even my 13 explorer is bubbling on the back side of the rear passenger doors!

I live on the gulf coast and after 15 years and 180K miles my 1997 F-150 had zero rust, not a scratch and glossed as it did new. I drove it on the beach often. The bed was all scratched up but didn't rust. The frame and undercarriage components had some surface rust but that should be expected. My 2011 still looks brand new inside and out. However, it does live most of it's life in a barn.

On the other side, I had a 1978 Ford Courier and a 1984 Ford Ranger that were rust buckets. The roof rusted out on both of them to where I could not stop it from leaking. The panels behind the tires and the beds rusted away.

For comparison, my brother had an early '80s Chevy Scottsdale. His big truck rusted away just as quick as mine.

I'm not in denial, I know where I have been and where we are now.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857