cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford SD 99-04 Regular Cab Truck Camper Pictures

Lebeter
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing the regular cab trucks aren't as popular due to storage limitations, but interested to see pictures of folks rigs and what campers you decided on. Harder to find pictures of these trucks on google images as it seems most have supercabs or crew cabs. I've got an F250 4x4 SRW 7.3 with many upgrades but still limited by the stamped weight limits. I see folks hauling some crazy campers with these and have to guess that they are running overweight. I'm shopping campers right now, so any feedback regarding how you like your camper is definitely welcome!
34 REPLIES 34

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
Lebeter wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the posts. I ended up getting a 2000 Lance 835 EC. Look forward to contributing on the site. I'll get a picture as well.

got the same thing - 2000 Lance 835 EC on my single cab truck (2006 Silverado). I think you'll like it!

Lebeter
Explorer
Explorer
Beggars can't be choosers lol. One thing I observed about this site is people just like to share no matter how relevant. Its ok though I enjoyed the replies as i'm sure others did. Maybe in a year there will be more people coming out of the woodwork.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I only saw 3.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Lebeter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the posts. I ended up getting a 2000 Lance 835 EC. Look forward to contributing on the site. I'll get a picture as well.

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
My former regular cab Chevy and Lance.

Near La Paz, Baja California Sur:

At the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah:

On the old Tampa Bay bridge in Florida:

In Idaho:

At Fort Peck in Montana:

A rather nice camping spot in Georgia:

Regular cab trucks with campers can work.
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my old setup. Its a crew cab though..4" lift and a 4000lbs camper.
2006 Lance 881 on 2003 Ford F250 by MooringProduct, on Flickr
No chance would I ever off road in this set up. I have currently went to a dually and its night and day.
Untitled by MooringProduct, on Flickr
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Lebeter
Explorer
Explorer
norcal, my truck is optioned exactly like yours. do you find with the added weight you use the crawler gear more? like the rear bumper setup as well, is that an aluminess?

norcal_PWRstrok
Explorer
Explorer
Just got the camper, and I am currently refurbishing it

Some old used scissor steps installed:

2001 F350 7.3L Diesel | 4x4 Rcab LB | ZF 6speed Manual | Manual Hubs | Manual Transfer Case
1986 Lance Squire LS3000

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our 2000 F250, 7.3L Diesel, 6 Speed, 2WD, 8ft box, Reg Cab. Hauling our 2005 Shadow Cruiser Popup. I like being way under weight, I leave it on most of the time and hardly know it is there. We picked East/West sleeping so we didn't have the huge side overhang. Also like the narrower body and no over hang on the back so we can park pretty much go anyplace the pickup will fit.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
I've been running a 4" lift with 35" tires and a 2500# camper for 5 years with zero problems despite the naysayers. Handles the 80 mph freeways just fine and goes anywhere I point it!! :B

I carried a 4000 lb hard side camper and would not want to try it unless those 35" tires were 285/70R19.5 and the spring pack was much firmer. 19.5" tires and firm suspension does not make the best offroader...

Even 35" tires aren't necessarily an issue. My truck rides on 35" tires just fine. They are ProComp XMTs in size 305/70R18 (35x12x18)and can carry 3750lbs each at only 65psi.

DJ, are you running airbags or Timbrens when loaded? My stock suspensioned F350 carries the 3000ish+ pounds of our Outfitter and still sits slightly tail high when fully loaded.

My 35's are 12.5" wide with a max psi of 65. Not the most desirable for camper hauling!!

No air bags. 3500# frame mounted overloads. Do not affect empty ride.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lebeter wrote:
DJ, looks like you have a popup right? I'm guessing a hardside would add some more weight up high so I understand the concerns others are mentioning. I contemplated a popup but thinking about a year long travel potentially and not just weekend camping. So i'm afraid i'm not prepared to deal with constant setup during stops. I axed the travel trailer already due to parking limitations and access. I may have to drop the lift which unappealing but possibly necessary. I guess I need to visit some other 4x4 or offroad forums and get some realistic expectations for degraded driving.

IMHO it would all depend on the size/weight of the hardside. CTraveler and Jefe 4X4 run hardside campers over the roughest trails imaginable for a TC. But they are not huge campers. I would not hesitate for a minute about using their campers on my truck.

95% of my camping is local as I live in the best state in the union!! :B But I do make an occasional long trip to the SW. If I were going to do that as a steady diet as you seem to be, I would also opt for a hardside for the same reasons mentioned hundreds of times throughout these forums.

First you need to decide if you want to off road. And I don't mean just dirt or Forest Service roads. I've had that dually I pictured on the first page over some pretty rough stuff and it is stock height. That should help in choosing your camper.

Once you get your camper, try it. If the handling is unacceptable then lose the lift. JMHO
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
My first truck and camper setup. My favorite combo. Now I have a bigger camper on a crew cab dually. Definitely not as nimble as my RC truck.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
I've been running a 4" lift with 35" tires and a 2500# camper for 5 years with zero problems despite the naysayers. Handles the 80 mph freeways just fine and goes anywhere I point it!! :B

I carried a 4000 lb hard side camper and would not want to try it unless those 35" tires were 285/70R19.5 and the spring pack was much firmer. 19.5" tires and firm suspension does not make the best offroader...

Even 35" tires aren't necessarily an issue. My truck rides on 35" tires just fine. They are ProComp XMTs in size 305/70R18 (35x12x18)and can carry 3750lbs each at only 65psi.

DJ, are you running airbags or Timbrens when loaded? My stock suspensioned F350 carries the 3000ish+ pounds of our Outfitter and still sits slightly tail high when fully loaded.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Bedlam
~DJ~ wrote:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD