cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ford trailer prep pkg is confusing

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I get different answers form the twenty something salemen at the dealer regarding the prep pkg above, so am asking those who know. In the bed of the truck there are bolts coming up through the bed.
some say there are clamps or plates on the frame and all you have to do is add rails and hitch. Another issue, some say only certain hitches will fit this bolt pattern and of course they are more expensive. I've had some tell me it is nothing more than just bolts and nothing below on the frame and it's up to you to either drill holes or use clamps or plates. I have a heard time getting up and down under the truck or I'd look myself. Ford 250 2015.
I check the ford website and really couldn't find and answer either. thanks
rich
6 REPLIES 6

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The FW prep pkg. will also include the in bed 7-pin plug in. It should be on drivers side rear, inside bed.

I think the nicest hitch for the OEM pkg., is the B&W. It is light wt., and splits easily into two pieces.

Jerry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
If you see this:

Then you have the prep package, if you don't see that you don't have it.

This is fact. I have it on my 2012 F350. The frame is all under the bed. Special hitches made by Reese, B&W, Curt, and Pullrite have pins at the four corners to drop in the holes and latch. No rails at all in bed.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you see this:

Then you have the prep package, if you don't see that you don't have it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
If you are seeing bolts in the bed, the truck is not currently set up with a tow prep package. If it was you would see the plugs that Agesilaus mentions.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Call Ford. I have found them to be very helpful. Have the VIN available. Do not bepend on the salesperson.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah when you get the truck there will be 5 holes in the bed which will be covered with plastic covers. These are more or less right over the rear axle.

You buy a hitch designed for the prep packs (B&W, Pullrite or some others). Don't buy the Reese the dealer is selling. You remove the covers from 4 of the holes which are in a rectangle. Leave the center hole covered. You drop your hitch which will have 4 prongs on the bottom into the 4 holes. Follow the hitch manufacturer's directions to lock the hitch down. Reverse to remove. Takes maybe 10 minutes the first time.

The center hole is for a gooseneck hitch. There are no bolts or rails those are all under the bed and already installed.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper