cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four Season bunkhouse Travel Trailers

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a good list of Four Season bunkhouse Travel Trailers available in the midwest? I have a friend that is thinking of replacing his dilapidated cabin in northern Wisconsin with a four season TT. Please let me know of any recommendations I can pass to him.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!
15 REPLIES 15

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

Tnx., for posting the single digits experience . I watched the build video and IMO, it looks very well appointed. I like it .

Forgot to add that they even added a 2nd basement duct for the furnace. Their after purchase support is part of what sets them and Northwood apart from the the rest. Can you imagine calling Thor up and telling them your trailer isn't warm enough?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Outdoors RV (sister company of Northwood RV) is independently 4-season rated, along with Northwood as mentioned above. I have used my trailer will into single digits. I did have one episode of frozen hot water lines during extended camping in windy weather (thawed out by cranking up the furnace). Outdoor RV took the tailer back, and added extra insulation to the affected lines! Works great now. I only use of a fraction of the propane my previous trailers used. Even all the waste valves are enclosed, except the fresh tank dump.

Tnx., for posting the single digits experience . I watched the build video and IMO, it looks very well appointed. I like it .

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Dcarner wrote:
We are looking into the Mesa Ridge line, They are supposed to be fairly decent at 4 season camping.....So I've been told. I don't believe that any RV is totally 4 season ready from the factory.

Exactly. Many will show high R values and that's fine, but once you start digging around behind drawers and door fronts you will see all the air gaps. I even found air gaps under the slide. Lifted the carpet flap that's part of the slide floor up and at each end I could see daylight.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking into the Mesa Ridge line, They are supposed to be fairly decent at 4 season camping.....So I've been told. I don't believe that any RV is totally 4 season ready from the factory.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoors RV (sister company of Northwood RV) is independently 4-season rated, along with Northwood as mentioned above. I have used my trailer will into single digits. I did have one episode of frozen hot water lines during extended camping in windy weather (thawed out by cranking up the furnace). Outdoor RV took the tailer back, and added extra insulation to the affected lines! Works great now. I only use of a fraction of the propane my previous trailers used. Even all the waste valves are enclosed, except the fresh tank dump.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Staying in one spot to replace a cabin? A park model TT would be good but how about a basic manufactured home?

The TT wouldn't stay in one spot all the time. If he goes this route, the idea was to keep the TT here in central IL to use with the family in spring and summer, then take it north to park for the hunting seasons. Once hunting is over he'd winterize and store it until the following spring.
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that if you bought one like mine with the enclosed belly you could probably add a thin layer of insulation to the inside of the "skin" they use to enclose it which would add.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is listed as the Thermal Package which means the bottom of the TT is enclosed. NOT insulated. It has a sort of corrugated plastic sheeting that is attached to the bottom so the gear is not exposed. The heat is ducted through the floor and is supposed to keep the underside heated. I would not try to use it all winter but we have camped in temps down to freezing and it kept quite warm. Didn't use that much gas either really.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
I need to clarify a bit. He doesn't intend to use the trailer year round. The main thing is he wants a TT that is capable of handling temperatures around freezing. Basically he's wanting to use into the November hunting seasons in WI then winterize and shut it down until spring.

Staying in one spot to replace a cabin? A park model TT would be good but how about a basic manufactured home? Depending on the area, a manufactured home can be set down very easily. This would have insulation, plumbing, electrical, etc. like a new house. This would be a great transition from an old cabin IMO.

A lot depends on how the home/trailer is to be used. If it's just to be setup in one spot on a semi-permanent or permanent basis a TT is not ideal. Go for a park model or manf. home. You will likely gain energy efficiency and overall livability with each level you go up.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I need to clarify a bit. He doesn't intend to use the trailer year round. The main thing is he wants a TT that is capable of handling temperatures around freezing. Basically he's wanting to use into the November hunting seasons in WI then winterize and shut it down until spring.
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Visited friends in their park model with the temperatures at seven degrees. It kept warm. I do not know what their heating bills were.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Have him look at "Park Model" units. Basically, they are towable but are meant more to be sitting in one spot for longer. I don't know for sure that they are better insulated but I have always suspected they are.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
No such a thing. The best insulated RVs were probably Tetons. But they did not make a TT and have been out of business for several years. Have him buy a park model.

x2 mfgs place 4 season decals on RV's , those decals are a lot like 'Thermal Package' decals . The decal is worth more than the winter part of the package they offer.