cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tank - do you drink water from it?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
This thread How do you get rid of smell from water in fresh-water tank led to me wonder how many people drink water from the fresh water tank in their RV.

I used to, but I stopped drinking out of the tank in about 2007 or so.

I had a Desert Fox Toy Hauler from 2003-2009. I dumped the fresh tank after every trip. I sanitized it periodically.

I have an Arctic Fox 811 truck camper now, which I bought in late 2009. I dump the tank after each trip in it too, except this past July when I forgot. (water stunk bad when I used the camper this past weekend)

I drank water out of the fresh water tank of the DF. I had a PUR water filter on the kitchen sink faucet as another level of protection.

On one trip with the DF, I woke up in the morning, and within an hour or so I felt horrible. I had no energy at all, and I felt better if I stayed horizontal. When I walked around, I was light headed and my equilibrium was out of kilter.

I spent most of the morning and part of the early afternoon chilling out in a friends zero gravity reclining lounge chair.

I suspected the water was what caused me to get sick. Maybe it wasn't, but that was my first suspicion, and I haven't drank water out of the fresh water tank since that trip, which I think was 2007

Now I carry bottled water. I wash and refill some of the bottles at home.

Do you drink water out of your fresh water tank?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
83 REPLIES 83

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
We ..... poop in the pooper ......

A whole nother thread in the making.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
No do not drink tank water. Only use it for showering, flushing and doing dishes otherwise we bring bottled water from home to use for cooking/drinking/coffee.

Ditto.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
... My doctor warned me not to drink the water from my rv water tank because the one of the universities did a study finding that a large percentage of the people tested ended up having uncontrollable urges to become moderators .
I said "OMG no " :S :B

Bob
You must not have read the follow-up report. With more study, they found that drinking more beer than water removed the threat of having the uncontrollable urge to become a moderator. :B

It is my understanding, the bottled water you buy has no testing requirements. I do not know it for a fact, but repeatedly see it posted/said.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We drink the water, poop in the pooper and cook in the oven.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Only when I'm thirsty. I use home well water and I drain it before winter each year. Only problem I ever had was when I hooked up to local water when camping. It would be better to limit to bottled water in that case.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, I use bottled water or gallons of water. It's a little pricey, but I'm not a full timer. I also find it makes more consistent coffee.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YES
The fresh water tank is nothing more than a very large plastic water bottle

x2 or x200
bumpy

X3 or X300??
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Wow... this thread blew up in a hurry (by that I mean it has received a lot of replies)

Lots of good info. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We drink from the fresh water tank, but it is filtered twice. There is a filter for all water coming into the MH, and a separate filter and tap for drinking water. We also do a chlorine treatment at the beginning of the season.

We rented a MH from Cruise America many years ago and I asked if the water in the tank was OK to drink. He said that he wouldn't, there could be frogs growing in there for all we know. If you get your water from a known source (not always possible when camping) then you should be OK.

You probably need to test your body's systems periodically anyway. What could go wrong?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
We drink bottled water only. Tank water is used for cleaning, showers, etc.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
After installing the marine port on my tank and getting in there to clean it.......
I now drink/cook with reverse osmosis filtered water.
It works better with beer too . ๐Ÿ™‚

My doctor warned me not to drink the water from my rv water tank because the one of the universities did a study finding that a large percentage of the people tested ended up having uncontrollable urges to become moderators .
I said "OMG no " :S :B

Bob

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being avid BEAN COFFEE LOVERs we learned along time ago that you use the same water for all your coffee making. We developed our coffee taste from a brand of bottled water that is available everywhere.

Since we have to bring along bottled water for the coffee we just continue to use it for drinking and cooking. Always have a couple of gallons of bottled water on hand at any given time.

We only use our fresh water for showers and other non-consumption stuff..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drink from mine all the time. After each trip I drain both the fresh water tank and the hot water tank. I also sanitize the water system once a month.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YES
The fresh water tank is nothing more than a very large plastic water bottle

x2 or x200
bumpy

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
No do not drink tank water. Only use it for showering, flushing and doing dishes otherwise we bring bottled water from home to use for cooking/drinking/coffee.