cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frigid lesson learned

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in my 2004 Lance 1010 for 10 years.

Much of that was in Colorado, and I winterized the water system every fall, and worked from jugs.

The last 2+ years I have been in west Texas, and used the demand water system year round.

No problems until this week. It has been brutal. Single digits every morning.

To compound matters, i am in my new 2013 Lance 850 1 week today.

It is a "basement" camper. My 1010 was not.

In an effort to conserve propane, I have been using an electric heater.

I woke up this morning to 5 degrees, and a frozen water system.

I was devastated. Had I ruined my new home with water damage?

Fortunately,or more accurately blessedIy, I had not.

Ran the propane furnace, things thawed out, and all is well.

I feel like I got away with a very stupid decision.

Electric heaters are for moderate temps, I reckon.

When it gets really cold, you gotta run that furnace. It does more than keep the living area comfy.

I am sure this has been addressed before, but I think it may be timely in this insane weather in the southern tier of states.

Carry on.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.
18 REPLIES 18

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jeez, 10 gallons????

I know it makes you feel better but you must have a heck of a mess on your hands come spring, and it must take most of the summer to get the antifreeze smell out of the water.

You can winterize with a gallon or less and have 100% protection.

A little splash of water in the bottom of a tank or in a water line will NOT cause problems even if it freezes. It has air space to expand into, and can't burst the lines.

The problem comes when the line/tank is FULL. There's no place for the water to expand when it freezes, and that's how things get broken.

Ideally you want a winterizing (siphon) kit on your pump, and a bypass on your water heater. Just drain everything as best you can, blow out the lines with an air hose, and suck a gallon of pink stuff into the pump with the winterizing hose.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for mentioning the animals, Desertboy.

When I start to feel sorry for myself, I think of the deer, cows, and quail especially, but all of the animals here on the ranch.

We lease out the right to run cattle.

If you went to pink water at every outlet, you are good, at least to 20 below 0 in my experience.

I appreciate your kind concern. I reckon we'll both get through it.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desertboy wrote:
It is unusually cold here right now. Thank goodness you saved your camper, man that would be a nightmare. Im new to campers and so I didn't take any chances, I drained everything and went and bought antifreeze for both my TC's. I put 10 gallons in each one and ran the pumps until I saw red coming out of every water source. And still I pray that does the trick. If nothing freezes and busts this year Ill definitely know how to handle things in the future. Because this is a serious winter for us here in Okla, and Texas, Im surprised I didn't loose any animals last night.

10 gals?!
Holy smokes....did you fill the h20 tanks?

1 gal is all you need...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
It is unusually cold here right now. Thank goodness you saved your camper, man that would be a nightmare. Im new to campers and so I didn't take any chances, I drained everything and went and bought antifreeze for both my TC's. I put 10 gallons in each one and ran the pumps until I saw red coming out of every water source. And still I pray that does the trick. If nothing freezes and busts this year Ill definitely know how to handle things in the future. Because this is a serious winter for us here in Okla, and Texas, Im surprised I didn't loose any animals last night.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.