cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I can't get my furnace to turn on. If I have the selector set on heat and the fan on the on position I can hear the relay click when I move the temperature up and down, if the fan is set on auto I hear nothing. The blower doesn't kick in or anything. This is my first TT so I'm going to need some patience. Any help would be appreciated
27 REPLIES 27

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Check carefully for a "mechanics switch" inside the unit it could have been accidentally bumped off while cleaning or trouble shooting. Happened to a unit we were working on last Sunday. Follow the 12v leads going into the furnace, it should be before the circuit board.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You could try to reset the thermostat. I believe some go into a coma after three "non-start" attempts. Disconnect the power to reset.

That is true too.

You can Google your particular thermostat and find the reset procedure.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You could try to reset the thermostat. I believe some go into a coma after three "non-start" attempts. Disconnect the power to reset.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
The blower for the furnace does Not come on. There are no blown fuses for the furnace that I can find and gas is flowing through the lines as we've used the stove several times.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Vancil wrote:
I can't seem to access the sail switch without pulling the entire unit out.

It is highly unlikely that you have a bad sail switch. I wouldn't start troubleshooting on the least likely and most difficult part to access. Under no circumstance should you "shoot some WD40" into anything related to the furnace or any other flame producing appliance.

As others have said, make sure there is a supply of 12VDC available.

When you say the blower comes on are you talking about the blower in the ceiling ducts or the blower in the furnace itself?

Normal operation is to set the thermostat to "HEAT", then set the fan switch to "AUTO", then set the temperature setting high enough that heat will be called for.

When heat is called for the fan in the furnace will come on and operate for around 30 seconds. This is to clear any residual LP from the furnace. After that timeout the control board will operate the "spark" to light the heating flame. Once the flame is lit the furnace will continue to operate until the temp reaches the setting. Then the flame will go out. The blower will continue to operate for about 30 seconds to cool the unit and again clear any residual gas.

In a new unit it is possible that there is air in the gas line. If that is the case you may need to "cycle" the furnace several times to clear the air. Sometimes it will help to light the stove burners and the water heater for a few seconds to help get the air purged from the system.

A lot of the new thermostats will operate the air conditioner blower in addition to the furnace blower so be sure to check the furnace blower. It usually discharges thru vents in the floor or low on the wall. the relay you hear click is probably the thermostat relay. You may not be giving the furnace enough time to go thru the start up cycle. It doesn't instantly produce heat when you turn it on.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
The blower setup also has a safety feature called a sail switch. This is there to shut down your propane feeding the furnace in the event the blower is not working... The air from the blower makes it operate... Sometimes if it gets debris in it and doesn't operate like it should... Shoot some WD40 into it to free it up again...

Just another thought...
Roy Ken

"shoot some WD40" into what?

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Vancil wrote:
I'm not sure if this matters, but the trailer is a 50amp unit, but we're currently at a 30amp site using an adapter. That wouldn't affect the furnace from working, would it?

No, it operates on 12VDC. Verify that you have 12V power at the furnace's circuit board (meter necessary).

Forum member Chris Bryant has a library of services manuals available for download here. Scroll down to your model of furnace and DL the manual. It will have a trouble-shooting section to diagnose any issues.

These small RV furnaces are actually somewhat durable. Most issues involve a clogged exhaust/combustion air port, a stuck sail switch, a failed circuit board (blown fuse), or lack of 12V power/gas delivery. A user should take some time every few years to clean up inside the furnace, tending the burner tube, the flame sensor/thermocouple, sail switch, and the blower.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I can't seem to access the sail switch without pulling the entire unit out.

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if this matters, but the trailer is a 50amp unit, but we're currently at a 30amp site using an adapter. That wouldn't affect the furnace from working, would it?

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
It is a suburban furnace, model number SF-35FQ

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fan control on thermostat is for the A/C Unit NOT furnace (Place FAN in Auto----otherwise A/C Fan may run when operating furnace)

Furnace fan is part of furnace function
Furnace needs good source of 12V DC power

Some furnace circuit boards have a 'check/verify' circuit that will not allow furnace function if 'Sail Switch' is still closed prior to fan operation.
Sail Switch should only close when fan is running up to speed.

Could also be lack of 12V DC to furnace (blown fuse, tripped on/off switch on furnace, circuit board issue, thermostat issue etc.)

What BRAND/MODEL is your furnace ?? (Info should be on data sheet in drawer, cabinet door, folder/info pack, on furnace)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The blower setup also has a safety feature called a sail switch. This is there to shut down your propane feeding the furnace in the event the blower is not working... The air from the blower makes it operate... Sometimes if it gets debris in it and doesn't operate like it should... Shoot some WD40 into it to free it up again...

Just another thought...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
is your battery hooked up? Is your power converter plugged in and providing 12v powering? The furnance requires 12v to run... if it isn't getting it from your battery, it has to get it from the converter.