cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas pump card skimmers

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Got bit again. Both times the day after fueling up at a Sunoco station. This time the thieves made two $800+ purchases at two different Home Depots and a couple of smaller purchases at 7-11. Cancelled the account, bank will absorb loss and new cards coming.
Anyone else been bit? How do you all pay for fuel for your TV? I use a credit card that's only used for fueling our truck and my work car. Never a debit card.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'
81 REPLIES 81

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Additionally using your credit or debit card at gas stations you are OFTEN limited to $75 per unsigned transactions.. This means if you have a large fuel tank you will need to run your card through two or more times to fill your tank..

Not to mention many gas stations will also put a HOLD on your account when using unsigned purchases at the pump for TWICE the purchase price..

The Debit mode IS the same as you writing a physical check and there typically is no fraud "protection" on a written check and is up to your banks policies as to what they may do for you..
Yah, I do that - if the pump will allow it. Otherwise, I use another card or go inside. It's not a big deal.

A hold is no problem.

Ok, my daughter had blank checks stolen and forged, and was reimbursed 100%. It's NOT the same as ME writing that check, it's forgery.

How did someone drain her account? Did she get it back? How much?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Cripes! You're right. It's crazy how easy it is to clone cards.

Thanks for posting the video.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Is that in your neck of the woods, Hannibal?

Good on the lady who found out her deceased mother's card had been used and went to all those places to look at surveillance video. That must have been very helpful to the police.

Yes it is. The Sunoco station I suspect is in Largo, Pinellas County. The AG inspector also believes pump 6 had a skimmer. Both $800+ Home Depot purchases were in St. Petersburg, also in Pinellas County. Man I hope it was them and they're put away.
Here's a YouTube video of how easy it is to skim and clone a credit card. Ridiculously easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv72936OWck

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Is that in your neck of the woods, Hannibal?

Good on the lady who found out her deceased mother's card had been used and went to all those places to look at surveillance video. That must have been very helpful to the police.
It's his Super Power!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope this is the dirt bag that skimmed my card this time.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2015/8/11/...

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
a fraud alert is the same lamea$$ way LifeLok tries to protect your account and costing you over $600 a year..

Fraud alerts only work if the person handling the transaction actually looks for the information which most do not.

the best thing you can do is put a Credit Freeze on all three credit reporting agency accounts. in most states it free and unlocking the freeze is easy online.. check out clarkhoward.com and search credit freeze.

With all the hacks happening every day your info is out there for all to see.

PLUS never have Social Security card in pocket or wallet.. dumbest thing to do in the world.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Glad they caught the thief.

HIs co-worker turned him in.
It's his Super Power!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Awwww....we know you. You're never mean spirited.

That said, There is one gas station near here that when you use a credit card, a "pending" charge of $100 shows up. It never goes through as a charge. But I have wondered if it would put a "hold" that big if someone used a debit card.
It's his Super Power!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's why I didn't say anything about BANK DEBIT CARDS. Don't have one, wouldn't use it if I had one.

I'm well aware of how gas stations work and frequently see those $1 holds for gas charges. I've never seen a HOLD that was even the amount of the purchase, let alone TWICE the purchase price. And those HOLDs last a day, maybe two. Maybe yours works differently than mine, and if it works like you've described you really should think about changing. I've traveled extensively inside the country and out and have never carried more than 2 cards, one of which is a back up. And I've also never been blocked for any time. And of course never lost a card.

And c'mon that was just a little jab about your sister's issue. Not meant to be too mean spirited. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Hmm, let me see. If my credit card gets compromised I'm out a max of $50, but it has been compromised in the past and it's never cost me a dime. Or I can buy some $100 gift cards and be out $100 or more if something happens to them. Naw, I think I'll stick to the credit card.

And your sister lost all the money in her bank account and was not reimbursed by the bank? Looks like your sister doesn't listen to you either. 🙂

Credit card and BANK DEBIT CARD are two DIFFERENT CRITTERS.

My (AND MANY OTHERS) bank DEBIT CARD CAN WORK AND ACT LIKE A CREDIT CARD AND IT LOOKS LIKE A CREDIT CARD.. But with one twist, it's primary function is DEBIT from your checking. It's secondary function is to act as a credit card.

Bank Debit cards ARE DUAL PURPOSE and the DEBIT purpose is a direct connection to your CHECKING AND SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

DEBIT only requires you to use a predefined "PIN", credit requires a SIGNED transaction (however UNSIGNED credit transactions are allowed for GAS PUMPS which are typically limited to $75 and online/mail order type of purchases which are often unlimited).

The rules are very different between the two different uses..

A CREDIT ONLY card has no ties to your personal checking account.

Additionally using your credit or debit card at gas stations you are OFTEN limited to $75 per unsigned transactions.. This means if you have a large fuel tank you will need to run your card through two or more times to fill your tank..

Not to mention many gas stations will also put a HOLD on your account when using unsigned purchases at the pump for TWICE the purchase price.. This HOLD can vary from 24 hrs to a week! Sometimes that hold may block you from making any more unsigned purchases for the length of the HOLD period. That means you may need SEVERAL credit cards in your pocket to lose..

As far as your wise comment about my sister, pretty much uncalled for.. she was using her BANK DEBIT CARD and the skimmer grabbed her BANK ACCOUNT. Has nothing to do with a CREDIT ONLY CARD.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm, let me see. If my credit card gets compromised I'm out a max of $50, but it has been compromised in the past and it's never cost me a dime. Or I can buy some $100 gift cards and be out $100 or more if something happens to them. Naw, I think I'll stick to the credit card.

And your sister lost all the money in her bank account and was not reimbursed by the bank? Looks like your sister doesn't listen to you either. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
BenK wrote:
What is missed is that, when they compromise your account...it is not that far from them going a bit farther to then steal your ID top empty your accounts (plural)
BEFORE you have a chance to check it
I hear scare stories like this all the time, but have yet to hear of it actually happening. I don't really see how draining an account could happen that fast, unless your balance is just a few hundred dollars.

The thing about text alerts is that you can know RIGHT NOW as it's happening. If you're still in the paper age (no text phone) then that's a different ball game. It's my belief that no bank is going to abide by fraud, let your accounts be drained and tell you "sorry". That's just not good business.

If you prefer lots of cash and separate cards, that's fine. Whatever works for you.

What the heck is this thread doing in Tow Vehicles??

Unless you are using a STRAIGHT UP CREDIT ONLY CARD it IS very POSSIBLE to lose every penny in your BANK CHECKING ACCOUNT.

Now days the lines are very blurred when it comes to those little plastic cards. Your local bank issues what is known as a DEBIT/CREDIT card which is LINKED to YOUR PERSONAL CHECKING AND OFTEN YOUR BANK SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

When you swipe a DEBIT/CREDIT card you are faced with TWO CHOICES.. DEBIT OR CREDIT.

Debit mode you only need to enter your bank PIN number.

The skimmer only needs to get your card numbers AND your BANK PIN NUMBER to use your DEBIT/CREDIT card and will gain FULL ACCESS TO ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNTS LINKED TO THAT CARD.

What many folks don't seem to understand is using the DEBIT mode your bank is not "responsible" for any theft incurred, YOU ARE! There is typically no "forgiveness", and no max out of pocket limit, some even link your checking account to your savings account for auto protection from over drafts!!

The Debit mode IS the same as you writing a physical check and there typically is no fraud "protection" on a written check and is up to your banks policies as to what they may do for you..

Because of this we will only use our bank DEBIT/CREDIT card as credit transaction whenever possible.

Using the CREDIT mode the card acts like a credit card in some respects by having a max out of pocket fraud limit of $50.. The downside is the thieves can drain your contents of main account linked to the card since the CREDIT function will withdraw from your main account before issuing as credit.

If you are using your local bank Debit card I would highly recommend that you read and understand ALL the details and conditions set by YOUR BANK on that card as to what they cover and what they don't cover concerning fraudulent purchases..

As I mentioned before we solved the problem by buying a bunch of gift cards, works like a credit/debit card at the pump, it is disposable, it has no links or ties to any of our accounts.. If we lose one we lose a max of $100 and we don't have the wasted time calling our bank to stop the account and have a new card issued..

Cheap insurance to safe guard our money/accounts and even our identity..

While you can often get your money back from fraudulent credit charges you will NEVER, EVER get your stolen identity back!

As a side note to address your question, YES, my sister used her bank card at a restaurant, thief emptied her bank account by the time she got home less than 20 minutes later. Fortunately she didn't have a large balance but still it cost her money and time..

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Glad they caught the thief.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
I carry branded fuel only cards...

That's a VERY good idea. The upside is that if the card gets skimmed at the pump, all a thief can buy is gas and munchies.

The downside is it's only good at gas stations.

We had a card skimmed at a restaurant. It was a card I use only for business and hadn't used it for months since we'd been travelling and not working. The CC co and local PD actually caught the skimmer.

A charge had showed up on our CC account for a "dating" web site. jHalf was NOT amused!
It's his Super Power!