cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After market tow mirrors

txredfish1
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you that tow with a 2014 F150, what after market tow mirrors that slide over the factory mirror do you use. I was thinking about CIPA or K source. I saw some mirrors at Walmart that clip on and has straps that go around the factory mirror. Or will tow mirrors be needed. The factory driver mirror has a small mirror in the corner that lets me see pretty wide. Would this be OK? If this works, how about a small corner mirror for the passenger side? I am not sure what I need or what is the best after market slide on mirror.
25 REPLIES 25

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
We use the CIPA mirrors. No issues, they don't vibrate, fit well, don't cost much, etc. would recommend them for sure.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have the CIPA mirrors, but they were very hard (stiff) to adjust. One time when adjusting the mirror glass it shattered, so I just threw it away along with the other one. I don't use anything now and I don't really miss them.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

joy-rick
Explorer
Explorer
I also had the CIPA mirrors and they would not stay on my 2006 F-150. I then bought a pair of "suction cup" style mirrors and used those successfully for several years. I liked those because they could be adjusted by the power mirror control. Finally, I saw a set of the Gran Aero mirrors at an RV show. I bought these and I love them! We have a 35' trailer and they provide all the visibility I could want.
Rick (K8RWG), Joy, and Daffy (the spoiled Calico cat)
2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SCLB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam

JohnES
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2007 Dodge Ram with the flip up towing mirrors that are electric. The first time I towed with this rig it was the first time in 20 years I was able to adjust the the right side mirror to where I wanted it.

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
I use CIPA mirrors on the Suburban, but they are nothing close to the factory tow mirrors I had on the F150. I really don't like them because they vibrate too much making the image fuzzy. At some point I'll get a set of real tow mirrors, but like APT mentioned, they're a step up in price for sure.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I used the CIPA custom fit clamp on style for my 2003 F-150. I use Fit Systems/K Source custom fit snap on Suburban. No regret with either at the $40-50 price point. I'd love to have OEM style which should be in the $200-300 range depending on features. Check Ebay.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dhust
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with the CIPA strap on mirrors staying on my passenger side. I have an Expedition with the turn signal below the mirror (an thus no slip on ones were available to fit that mirror). I tried everything I could think of, from the CIPA, to the suction cup ones. The Aero were the only ones that would stay since they clamp onto the mirror frame. The Aero mirrors are rock steady too. All of the other ones I use vibrated very bad. So much so that I was ready to give up having a mirror on the passenger side since I couldn't see anything anyways. I LOVE using the Aero mirrors. I've only had them a year, but I wished I had started out with them. I thought I could get by cheaper. It was definitely worth the expense to get the Aero.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I had a strap on set from my previous TV with oval mirrors. They would vibrate off of my new TV's square mirrors.

I use double backed sticking tape an small bungee cords to hold them on all season.

Crude but effective and they do not vibrate.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
CIPA. No vibration
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Ford Expy and wasn't able to find any slide over mirrors for it (and many F150 owners have the same issue) - I'm happy with the Grand Aeros (search B0095TC6I6 on Amazon).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
everyone likes different things, that is for sure. When I used the cipa mirrors, they took about 30 seconds each to put on, slide them in, slide the hilder, turn the knob 2-3 times real easy.

Currently have the Ford tow mittors which are great. Electic extend and electric fold in. Could not get easier.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Explorer II
Explorer II
seaeagle2 wrote:

I went the other way.
My TV came with the tow mirrors (bottom pic). Real Nice while towing but can be annoying when not. I may go 3 or 4 months between tows so I bought a pair of OEM style standard mirrors (top pic) for when I'm not towing.
Kind of the best of both worlds.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I tried several versions. First version was these strap on mirrors from Oreilly's. I actually liked them pretty darn well. Stayed very steady, a bit fussy to install but not too bad. Good vision and such.

K-Force Strap On Mirrors

My dad needed mirrors so we got the CIPA slip ons. I thought they would be easier to put on, but actually took about the same amount of time as my kforce. Neither he nor I liked them. Something about the size, or mirror placement, but they simply weren't as good and easy to use as the kforce.

Later, I got tired of putting on/taking off. Went to a set of factory tow mirrors. If you hang out on f150 forums long enough, you can often find someone wanting to trade a set for your factory mirrors. I bought a set of OEMs for 250, and sold my OEM's for 200. I have $50 in the set. I GUARANTEE they will be the last tow mirror you get for your truck. Visibility both with and without a trailer are superior. They are awesome! Even when not pulling, the visibility they have is remarkable. You can even get them in powerfold if desired. There are some aftermarket versions out there that are half price of OEMs. Do not go to Ford and buy them, as sticker shock will be strong.

Get the OEM style, you'll be glad you did.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grand Aero are my choice.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage