cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question on Size

MGivens79
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to RVing, we just bought our first Travel Trailer. We did tons of research before buying. But, you don't know what you don't know and you don't know what to ask if you just don't know.

So far our first time buying experience has been a nightmare! I wont get in to all the details in this question. What I really want to hear opinions on is, is our trailer to big for our haul vehicle? Based on all the research and taking it out a few times we say no. BUT everyone tells us it is.

Part of the nightmare experience was not knowing we needed a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway for the monster we bought, no-one suggested it. We quickly realized we needed it. We got a blueox WDH with 1500lbs sway arms. Cool, the dealership we got the hitch from says the trailer is to big for our haul vehicle. The dealership we bought the TT from, said nothing of the sort, but also didn't say a WDH is a must either. All the research we have done says our vehicle is sized fine for the trailer - and pulls it fine - except the swaying. Which is hopefully fixed a little with the BLUEOX wdh.

Trailer: 2021 Greywolf 29TE - 36.5 ft in length - Hitch Weight:837 lb.GVWR:7837 lb.UVW6428 lb.

Haul vehicle: 2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV (exdented whhel base) - Towing capacity: 7,900 to 8,100 lbs - with a 6.2l V8

Is this trailer too big?
37 REPLIES 37

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, if you do not have an owners manual for the Escalade here is a link to it.

Owners manual, 2016 Escalade

References, page 216, Tow Haul Mode on the transmission shifter. You certainly should be using this.

Pages 253 to 262 is the section on towing.

You need to determine what options the vehicle has such as StabiliTrak, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Parking Assist (both should be turned off or disabled, per the manual)

Factory Tow Package? Doesn't mean it came with a hitch, but would have wiring for the 7 pin connector on the rear and a connector under the dash for the brake controller. It also may mean heavy duty cooling for the engine and transmission, possibly a larger alternator, etc. You dealer (probably the parts counter) can take your VIN number and print out a build sheet that lists all the options installed on your vehicle.

If you have 4 wheel drive and either 20 or 22 inch wheels, your towing capacity is somewhat reduced.

The manual may answer some of your questions with regard to the hitch, such as WITHOUT a Weight Distributing Hitch your maximum tongue weight is limited to 600 lbs while it is 1000 lbs with a WDH. (and you may be over that.)

As already mentioned, you need an electric brake controller in addition to the WDH, and other stuff. Teknosha products are great, The P3 is good but a little excessive in that it has memory for four trailers. Only dislike about the P3 is the bright screen that dims, but not enough, at night. Its on all the time, trailer or not, somewhat annoying. Lots of good controllers out there.

P3 controller and harness for Escalade with factory tow package.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Durb wrote:
Welcome to the forum. I'll see if I can answer some questions regarding sway which seems to be your major concern. Blue Ox makes 3 different weight distribution hitches. Don't use the round bar hitch with chains as it will do nothing for sway. The concept behind the TrackPro WDH is obvious as it is similar to Equalizer and some Reese products. I don't see the physics behind the SwayPro WDH except it relies on shorter chains and maybe a wider set on the bar mounts. It wouldn't be my first choice.

Your Escalade may be exacerbating your problem as I am assuming you have automatic load leveling. When you put a thousand pounds on your hitch ball the vehicle will pump up its air bags and level the load automatically. This is bad. High bag pressure on your rear axle will harden the suspension and cause it to serve as a fulcrum. The hitch weight will then unload your front tires and make things squirrelly. See if you can defeat this feature and rely on your weight distribution hitch to level the rig with trailer attached.

Thirdly, see if you can cancel your Blue Ox order and put the money towards a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch. Either of these will eliminate sway which is your concern. Good luck and enjoy your trailer.

The Sway Pro is a great hitch, I’ve used one for the last 5 years. When it try’s to sway, it puts more tension on the spring bar, and that pulls it back to the center. It’s like if you held a piece of rope with a weight in the middle, and the rope forming a V. If you pull the weight to the side, it goes back to the middle.

Best description I have seen yet. I have one and am still trying to figure out how to explain to someone how it works. It also has to do with the geometry of the bar sockets, the odd angle they are set at makes one side tighten up VERY quickly if the trailer and vehicle are not perfectly aligned.

The TrackPro is simply Blue Ox's attempt to mimic the Equal-i-zer hitch since 1) it works, and 2) a lot of people want that design because they are told "don't get the chain type hitches".

Its called a Sway Pro for a reason.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
Welcome to the forum. I'll see if I can answer some questions regarding sway which seems to be your major concern. Blue Ox makes 3 different weight distribution hitches. Don't use the round bar hitch with chains as it will do nothing for sway. The concept behind the TrackPro WDH is obvious as it is similar to Equalizer and some Reese products. I don't see the physics behind the SwayPro WDH except it relies on shorter chains and maybe a wider set on the bar mounts. It wouldn't be my first choice.

Your Escalade may be exacerbating your problem as I am assuming you have automatic load leveling. When you put a thousand pounds on your hitch ball the vehicle will pump up its air bags and level the load automatically. This is bad. High bag pressure on your rear axle will harden the suspension and cause it to serve as a fulcrum. The hitch weight will then unload your front tires and make things squirrelly. See if you can defeat this feature and rely on your weight distribution hitch to level the rig with trailer attached.

Thirdly, see if you can cancel your Blue Ox order and put the money towards a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch. Either of these will eliminate sway which is your concern. Good luck and enjoy your trailer.

The Sway Pro is a great hitch, I’ve used one for the last 5 years. When it try’s to sway, it puts more tension on the spring bar, and that pulls it back to the center. It’s like if you held a piece of rope with a weight in the middle, and the rope forming a V. If you pull the weight to the side, it goes back to the middle.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
gchackett wrote:
There is a big difference between pulling and hauling a load. Just look at a strongman competition those guys can pull and 747 but don't mean that they could stop it rolling down a hill or control it.

Great analogy ................. No one has ever posted I have too much truck.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Nother 1 hit wonder member.
Either that or OPs wife read all your doom n gloom responses and said “told you so, I was right” and kicked his arse.
Now the weight cops are responsible for misdemeanor assault and battery maybe....see why it’s best to not exaggerate now?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gchackett
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big difference between pulling and hauling a load. Just look at a strongman competition those guys can pull and 747 but don't mean that they could stop it rolling down a hill or control it.
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1L
2000 Shasta Pheonix 268 Bunk House

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Why, lady and gentleman, I assure you that your Caddy can pull anything we got on the lot!”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
One other thought...it's really odd the dealer didn't sell you a WDH. They aren't cheap, so it's a nice extra profit to throw in at the end of the deal.

I also find that odd. But it happened to me as well when i bought my first TT years ago. This was back in the days before massive internet information overload. Went to pick up the trailer and the service guy says "wheres your WD hitch?". I was PI**** OFF as he explained what one was and why i needed one. I thought i could tow it like a big bass boat.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I think you're probably okay, and I take it you haven't towed it yet with the new hitch. Get out there and try it. Proper adjustment of a WDH is critical, and maybe not ideal for a first timer to try to follow instruction. Maybe seek out professional help for that???

One thing going against you is the soft suspension and tires on an Escalade. It is designed for that soft luxury ride, not for towing. Some good light truck tires would be an improvement, but not so great for the comfy ride.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
One other thought...it's really odd the dealer didn't sell you a WDH. They aren't cheap, so it's a nice extra profit to throw in at the end of the deal.
Yes and the sale is easier to wrap the cost into the trailer loan.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You are at the very max and could be a bit over the ratings depending how the vehicle and trailer are loaded. Yes anything above 5000 pounds generally needs a weight distribution hitch with sway control. These can be tricky to dial in and balance everything correctly. Read the instructions multiple times. If you have a pro set it up you should still double check the work as you are ultimately responsible. What brake controller did you get? I recommend the Prodigy P3.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Maybe the dealer wanted to get the buyer as far away as fast as he could? I was mildly insulted when a dealer recently evaluated the suitability of my tow vehicle, but all should at least ask.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
OP, just fix the swaying....if it’s actually swaying and not just how a trailer generally behaves. Sounds like your experience with towing is very limited and with that your expectations may be out of line a bit.
Does it bottom out your air suspension? If not, it ain’t overloading the back of your rig.
Have you hooked up the wdh and sway? Your post is unclear if your issue is just a “before” issue or an “after” issue as well.
Yes, you’re at the upper end of the “ratings” of your Escalade, mostly because the Esc is a very soft plush suspension vehicle. That said, it absolutely has the length, mass and power to tow that trailer competently, regardless of what the rvnet weight police say.

Provide some more info if you wish, and then wade through the plethora of “you need a HD pickup” responses, if you need more info or suggestions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold