cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator and gas odor in Lance generator box

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have the Lance 845 with the generator box at the rear beneath the ladder.

Does anyone use this for a Honda or Yamaha generator storage, and a small gas tank, and does the gas odor penetrate into the TC ...

It seems sealed - and it's build for a propane factory generator, but not a gas generator - so, would like to store a 1000i in it with a gas can, but don't want gas fumes in the TC, obviously.

If I decided to do it, I would install a vent on the face of the box, but wonder if anyone has used this for storing a small generator, and if you have gas fume issues.

The option will be to build a box attached to the ladder or the step bumper, and store it there, with some vents.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
7 REPLIES 7

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It should be sealed to the inside but the outside door should be vented. Is that what you've got? If yes, you should be fine.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I think with a good leak proof gas can you should be OK. My current Lance 845 has a propane Onan installed but my previous 2001 Lance 845 just had the storage compartment. I have a Honda 2000i and I don't believe it would go through the compartment door but your 1000i must as I am sure you have tried it.

Good fuel cans are not cheap but do a much better job than the cheap plastic jugs sold for fuel storage. I would give it a try, as you can always change where you are carrying the fuel. The generator with the cap closed should be fine to have in the compartment.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I leave a gas can in my enclosed trailer and there is not a whit of gasoline vapor odor even if the trailer has been sitting out in the sun.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

elquind
Explorer
Explorer
6 years later, and still works great! I added an extended run tank that I can fill on the ground outside. The generator never leaves the compartment. My gripe, its on the wrong side of the camper. We always camp on the passenger side. The genny compartment should have been on the driver side. Here is my link from 6 years ago. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/19626840.cfm

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
sleepy wrote:
Are you talking about gasoline? or propane gas? To me the word "gas" means a vopor.

Not being snippy... different areas of the counry talk different.

Reddog1 has shown his generator/ladder set up for his generator several times... it is very nice, handy and safe.

He doesn't want the gas vapor from the gasoline. 😉

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about gasoline? or propane gas? To me the word "gas" means a vopor.

Not being snippy... different areas of the counry talk different.

Reddog1 has shown his generator/ladder set up for his generator several times... it is very nice, handy and safe.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I keep a gallon of Stanadyne which reeks and two 2.5 gallon gas cans in my compartment. never smelled a thing in 3 years
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags