cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator removal

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
Need to remove Onan 2500lp but am confused about the number of bolts holding unit. I know the exhaust system needs to be removed , after use a jack to lower to floor . The problem is there are bolts an nuts or threaded bolts holding the unit in place. Does anyone have any experience in this ? FYI the unit cranks but will not start , can't check the spark (can't reach) it's getting fuel (I can smell propane . Checked the drop tube for insect didn't find any.
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )
8 REPLIES 8

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
alaskasail I would start a new thread if I were you. That way it would show up in the new posts. You will get a lot more responses.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

alaskasail
Explorer
Explorer
6pac wrote:
Need to remove Onan 2500lp but am confused about the number of bolts holding unit. I know the exhaust system needs to be removed , after use a jack to lower to floor . The problem is there are bolts an nuts or threaded bolts holding the unit in place. Does anyone have any experience in this ? FYI the unit cranks but will not start , can't check the spark (can't reach) it's getting fuel (I can smell propane . Checked the drop tube for insect didn't find any.

This thread is about as close to what I'm looking for as I can find so please bear with me.

I would like to remove the Onan Genset from my 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versitle in favor of a new, lighter, quieter Honda that I can hook up via the power cord. Are there any instructions available or advice you can offer regarding this?

Thanks for your help.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
DOITHARD wrote:
zcookiemonstar wrote:
I have the Onan Microlite 2500 Gas in my Toy hauler. It has six bolts that hold it in from the bottom. My Onan has threaded holes so no nuts to deal with. Other then that a fuel line power wires and a ground strap to the frame oh and the exhaust pipe.

I'm considering converting my 2016 Microlite 2800 from propane to gasoline. Does your 2500 have an electric fuel or is gravity fed? I can't deal with looking for propane in the middle of nowhere?

My Onan has an electric inline fuel pump. The toy hauler has a fuel station so it is connected to that tank. There is no tank on the generator.

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
I have the Onan Microlite 2500 Gas in my Toy hauler. It has six bolts that hold it in from the bottom. My Onan has threaded holes so no nuts to deal with. Other then that a fuel line power wires and a ground strap to the frame oh and the exhaust pipe.

I'm considering converting my 2016 Microlite 2800 from propane to gasoline. Does your 2500 have an electric fuel or is gravity fed? I can't deal with looking for propane in the middle of nowhere?
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously they must build the camper around the unit!

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I removed mine from the TC in my sig. I didn't plan on fixing it. I can say it was a real PITA! I took the door and and trim off to get it out.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My genset pan has about a dozen nuts and bolts to drop the unit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker