cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator size for a 15,000 btu a/c question

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
im sure this has been asked a million times but here goes. my wife and i are picking up our new wildwood travel trailer this coming saturday. it has a 15,000 btu a/c what is the best size generator to run the a/c as well as lights and smaller size lcd t.v. (27 to 32 inch lcd t.v.) as well as water pump. my father has a 5500 watt portable "construction site" generator we can borrow. im not sure of all the specs on it yet. also do i need any type of adapter to regulate voltage to safely run things in the trailer. many thanks
27 REPLIES 27

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled a Yamaha for 8,000 miles, a Honda for 12,000 miles and a Champion for 10,000 miles over the last ten years. All did exactly what I wanted, provide a few hours of electricity. The Champion did its job for one third the cost of the other two. ALL started on the first or second pull.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unyalli wrote:
Talking generators here and not worshiping at the Honda alter is like riding Americas motorcycle (Harley Davidson) into a wingnut rally.

- Jeff
That would be safer then taking a Honda to a Harley rally.:B

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think you will find many people who complain about the longevity of the Yamaha or Honda. Same can be said about the durability of a built in Onan. That said a lot of RV'ERS don't use a generator that much and a Champion generator fulfills their needs for a considerable amount less.

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Talking generators here and not worshiping at the Honda alter is like riding Americas motorcycle (Harley Davidson) into a wingnut rally.

- Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
But really, do most people run generators night and day while camping for months at a time or only ccasionally when needed?

In any campground I ever plan to visit - hopefully not. :R

However, there are those who live off grid, in the wilderness, who do run a genset 14 hrs a day, day after day, month after month, year after year, and reports of Honda inverter gensets with 10,000+ hrs on them before a rebuild is required are not uncommon at all. I've owned 2 Honda EU2000i gensets myself, both purchased used with less than 100 hrs on either, and later sold each one for as much as I paid for it. Purchased wisely, a Honda genset is one of the few investments with which one can avoid losing one's shirt. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
...snip.....Sure the Honda's cost more but you just don't see reports of other generators lasting 10/15000 hours either.Just check out some Alaskan forums where a generator is there only means of electricity.
....snip.........

Do some searching and you will find reports of rental dealers getting over 10,000 hours out of some Champion generators.

But really, do most people run generators night and day while camping for months at a time or only ccasionally when needed?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honda and Yamaha snobs always exaggerate and spin things to try to justify the expense of their units

Umm..Not everyone!

Years ago I bought what I thought would run my AC(Coleman 13.5) without any trouble.A 3500 running watt/4000 surge Yamaha ES(Yamaha EF4000DE).One day it was 95 degree's out and we were traveling and needed air...It would not start the 13.5 AC in 95 degree heat.I sold it, and I am a Yamaha guy from head to toe from bikes to UTV's and ATV's.I bought a Honda 3000IS..It worked flawlessly in that weather and worse on several different air conditioners..The only thing it will not start is my Dewalt air compressor but my Generac 4000XL(5500 watt surge) won't either.

Sure the Honda's cost more but you just don't see reports of other generators lasting 10/15000 hours either.Just check out some Alaskan forums where a generator is there only means of electricity.

I have never understood why some have the money to buy new trucks tethered to a new RV worth 50-75K and complain about the cost of a honda generator.(laughing)It's like someone buying the best hunting rifle and scope money can buy and using the cheapest ammunition found..

I did a google search and had a hard time finding where the Honda 3K inverter would not run a 15k AC..The same could be said about the Champion not running a 13.5 AC..They are out there..Every manufacturer has it's lemons,ones that were not fully tuned to specs correctly.I assume that is why we have reports of the Champion 3100 not running a 13.5 AC and the Honda not running the 15K AC.

Yes I have two honda's but my eyes are watching the actual performance of the new Champion inverter gen sets should I ever need another generator for any reason.I to would like to save a dime if it performs as good as the honda and last as long as a honda or is as quiet as a honda.Only time will tell.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
RSD559,

The posts are there but the search function is fubar. You can search using google to find them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
RSD559 must have had issues with his Honda EU3000is. Mine will run my 15000 ac with no problem. It ramps up when it initially hits the load of starting but then cuts back to a little above an idle. I don't know how many camping friends you have now but if you buy a Champion generator you are standing the chance of loosing them. Obnoxiously loud. Spend a little extra money and get a quality generator. Honda, Yamaha.If your going to put everything that RSD559 is suggesting you might as well have the electric company install you a pole.

If I had issues, it was me and a bunch of other EU3000is owners. Hard start kits fixed the problems. When I had the Honda, several other folks complained about the same problem. Someone else with an EU3000is on the forum suggested the hard start kit. I searched for the posts, but they aren't available anymore. Your 15k probably already has some sort of kit installed. Having owned both, I can tell you that the Champion is slightly louder than the Honda, but not by much. If a Champion is too loud in a given situation, the Honda is too. And, your "little extra money" is about $1300. $699 for the Champion, about $2000 for the Honda. As far as putting in a power pole, the Easy Start kit costs about $300. You can downsize the generator and save more than the cost of the Easy Start. We spend a week every year at Lake Siskiyou, at the base of Mt. Shasta. We stay in the power and water section. They have been downgrading the power from 30 amp to 20 amp, a few sites every year. I'm putting in the Easy Start in case they make it to my spot! Honda and Yamaha snobs always exaggerate and spin things to try to justify the expense of their units. You can spend the extra money if you want, but what I am telling you is that you don't have to.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you have a fixed tank, plentiful at RV Parks is not a good assumption.

afidel wrote:
Propane is clean, plentiful at RV parks, and cleaner burning so less air pollution for you and fewer oil changes for the generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Champion dual fuel 3,500, rated for 14+ hours at 25 percent load with a 20lb cylinder. I know at least a few of the full timers I follow on YouTube are using them and are happy. Propane is clean, plentiful at RV parks, and cleaner burning so less air pollution for you and fewer oil changes for the generator.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Dennis12,

The Champion Inverter generators are quiet. They make a lovely 3400 watt unit with remote electric start. That would be my choice.

X4

X5

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Honda 3000si Handi would not run the 15000AC when we upgraded the trailer from one with a 13500. We found a quiet Champion 3400 that does the job, and will run the MW at the same time.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Dennis12,

The Champion Inverter generators are quiet. They make a lovely 3400 watt unit with remote electric start. That would be my choice.

X4