Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting started with sway control

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the quick and dirty question:
What questions do I need to ask about weight distribution and sway control systems?

I'm already thinking, trailer weight, tongue weight, and can I back up with it.

Don't have a trailer yet. Used to tow a popup, now getting into the market for a fixed top trailer. Going to be hauling with an F150. (Need to update my details.)
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
15 REPLIES 15

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
goducks10 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
most of the sway control in hitches is snake oil, sway is cause by inproper loading (not enough tounge weight. you want over 10% of the trailers weight on the ball, and if you can sneek it closer to 13 - 14% even better. with the trailer level and that much weight on the ball you shouldn't ever need any sway control, but if you do just buy a weight distribution hitch that you cn add it on later. in 38 years of towing, I only ever had sway once and it was when I was 16 and brand new to towing and I quicky learned how to load my little trailer I had art the time.

Steve

What happens when that 13-14% lifts the front end of the tow vehicle and causes the front to become light and less in control?

if your truck is rated for the trailer it wont, and using an equalizer hitch puts some of that weight back on the frontif set up properly. the design is 10 to 15% for the hitch weight of a trailer for a proper set up. so take my 29' trailer I had before I got a 5th wheel, it was 8000ish fully loaded and I had 1000 lbs hitch weight. the payload for my truck was 2500 lbs so if 1000 lbs was lifting my front end to that point something was wrong. when that happens 9 out of 10 times you are trying to tow with a truck not rated for that load.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
most of the sway control in hitches is snake oil, sway is cause by inproper loading (not enough tounge weight. you want over 10% of the trailers weight on the ball, and if you can sneek it closer to 13 - 14% even better. with the trailer level and that much weight on the ball you shouldn't ever need any sway control, but if you do just buy a weight distribution hitch that you cn add it on later. in 38 years of towing, I only ever had sway once and it was when I was 16 and brand new to towing and I quicky learned how to load my little trailer I had art the time.

Steve

What happens when that 13-14% lifts the front end of the tow vehicle and causes the front to become light and less in control?

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good points on needing a WD/sway control type hitch.

Which F150 you have and trailers size/weight will determine needs. What I'm sayin' is not all F150 have the same load carrying ability or tow ratings or towing ability as these specs are all over the place from the;....examples...

F150HD....8200 gvwr...4800 rawr around 2500 lb in the bed payload.
F150......7500 gvwr...4500 rawr ...... 2100-2200 lb............ .
F150......7050 gvwr...4050 rawr ...... 1800 lb in the bed.
F150......6800 gvwr...3800 rawr....... 1500 ............ .
F150......6200 gvwr...3200 rawr....... maybe 800 lb in the bed.
Payloads are approx and depends on actual scaled axle weights.
Also engine size/towing performances ranges from the 3.5 ecoboost down to the small v6. Ford has 3 different frame sizes/rail thickness/etc.

Some F150s may need sway control/WD hitch and another may not depending on the trailer. Good luck on the hunt.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I will agree it depends what you get, and how you pack it. I use my equalizer wdh because well i had it allready. I set it with barly any pressure on it and its basically justb there for sway controll if needed. I probably dont need it, but i got it with the camper and it was free. If you get something used from someone they may include a hitch.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got a guy on I-95 pulling a Airstream to follow me into a rest area as the trailer was wanting to wiggle (sway) his big enough diesel PU. Heโ€™d been having this issue for 2 years without any solutions. Because a Airstream uses torsion flex axles (no equalizer bar between the axles) they need to be towed level or slightly nose high which he wasnโ€™t. Told him to raise the ball 3โ€ (had an adjustable hitch) and ditch the equalizer and friction sway bar... truck need all the weight on the rear axle. We have since become good friends having solved his sway problem ...need to call him.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed for years with out WD. Mostly 5000 lbs or less. In fact gave away a Hensley. To hard to hook up and maintain. We never tow with out sway control friction bar. We hold our speed down to 60mph. Of course the Airstream shape totally eliminates push pull from trucks. Get the TV and the TT then you can figure out what you need in way of hitch and sway control.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Get trailer first then figure out what you want or need.
Common misconception among mostly the RV crowd is that as soon as any sizeable trailer touches a truckโ€™s hitch it needs weight distribution and sway control.

Given your perceived lack of experience with towing (from your post), I would suggest first find trailer that is suitable to tow behind your truck, presuming youโ€™re keeping current truck. Objectively, gvw of trailer at or under rated towing weight. Subjectively, you may want to decrease the total trailer weight if youโ€™re pulling a lot, long distances, steep grades, high altitude, winter time, etc.
General recommendation since Iโ€™m intimately familiar with heavy towing with your model of truck, if it has the 5.0 or Eco boost, Iโ€™d be shooting for trailers that max out at about 7klbs or less for a very capable and comfortable tow.

Once you have all that sorted out and have the trailer, you can decide what is wanted or needed for a long term hitch setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flapper has got it....level trailer, adequate tongue weight, adjusted WDH.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
When we had our 28ft TT I towed it with a Reese Dual Cam. then I got an Excursion and a 35ft TT and swapped over the Dual Cam with new heavier bars. I wouldn't tow with anything but the Reese DC. in my opinion the only thing above it are the Hensley Arrow, Pro Pride.

X2^
Been using a DC since 2004 and the only white knuckles towing were from idiots on the road and not from sway. A little trickier to set up for optimum performance but once it is it is an easy hitch to use.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
True sway is only due to not having enough weight on the tongue. That's the one that sometimes can occur very quickly, and throw you off the road. Shoot for 12-13% of total trailer weight to be on the tongue. No lighter than 12%. Search YouTube videos for examples from various Universities.
Various hitches can essentially provide friction to dampen it and reduce odds of it happening at any usual speeds - but may or may not prevent it at all your normal driving speeds. Only Hensley and ProPride hitches can prevent it. But they may be overkill (very expensive), unless you just can't get your tongue weight where it should be. (Which is my case).

Others call things like "truck suck" and wind pushes "sway". It's not. These are single events, that are problematic, but usually not catastrophic. But, they can be the initiator of a true sway event, if you are on the edge otherwise. Various brands have different track records for helping control them.

The first order after tongue weight, is make sure your trailer is at least level when hitched, but better to be a bit nose down. Then find the optimal amount of weight to transfer to the front using the weight distribution system. Each truck will vary in this. It may be more than standard recommendation from the manufacturer. Tires, shocks, new hitch, new truck, etc. can come later, if suck, pushes and wiggle are still an issue.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had our 28ft TT I towed it with a Reese Dual Cam. then I got an Excursion and a 35ft TT and swapped over the Dual Cam with new heavier bars. I wouldn't tow with anything but the Reese DC. in my opinion the only thing above it are the Hensley Arrow, Pro Pride.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been happy with my Blue Ox SwayPro. It pulls great, and you can back up with it. Also it is quiet.
I think the Equalizer 4 Pt, Reese Dual Cam, and Blue Ox are pretty similar performance wise. The thing that swayed (pun intended) me was the Blue Ox is quiet, and can be backed up.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
Also found this and some other posts: https://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14369340.cfm

Will be doing some reading. ๐Ÿ˜„
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!