cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM 6.2L Gas Engine for pulling?

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to look at a new truck for 2019. I have been pulling with a Duramax, but now looking to maybe go with a gas engine next time around. The reason is based low pulling mileage and trailer weight.

It looks like the 6.2 is going to be GM's only gas offering, so I am wondering who has pulled with this engine and what is your opinions of it.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
55 REPLIES 55

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
martinto wrote:
And the creature comforts without the big size that comes with 3/4 and 1 ton.

I always scratch my head at the above? Big size where. 1500 or 2500 or 3500 in the same cab/bed, is the exact same wheelbase, width, and overall length. The 2500/3500 usually has a slightly larger turning radius due to the suspension. Overall height is a few inches higher as is ground clearance, but it's basically the same size as the body panels are exactly the same....at least with GM.

Bigger springs, brakes, axles, driveshafts, u joints, and a whole host of other things too, but thats not exactly a bad thing?

I have never been able to grasp the bigger thing on boards. Hell I've seldom been able to digest a truck thread lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
martinto wrote:
I have the 6.2 in my 2016 Sierra with MAX tow pkg, and 8 speed, rated to tow 11,700 lbs and 1870 lbs payload. I pull a loaded TT est. 7500 lbs, and went cross country 7300 miles out west and back. She was a pleasure to drive. Took on the Rockies 11000 ft passes with ease. The cruise control coupled with the 8 speed easily maintained 55 mph ascending, and controlled the descent. I usually ran a safe 63mph on the flats. Very pleased.

Same exact experience, direction, total miles, and even pass thru the Rockies at 12,000ft...but replace Sierra 6.2L with Toyota Sequoia 5.7L and Hensley hitch. I also typically ran 68-72mph on the open interstate. 7-9mpg.

The 6.2L by Chevy and Ford are VERY similar to Toyota's 5.7L in power and gas mileage. Durability and reliability are dang close too, but you know all know how die hard Toyota motors are.

I really hope Chevy dumps their 6.0L.

All the 1/2 ton mfg’ers have stepped up their game to provide suitable towing rigs for those that don’t want to deal with 3/4 ton or diesel. They are hitting the sweet spot for the growing number of TT customers that want the capabilities And the creature comforts without the big size that comes with 3/4 and 1 ton.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:
I have the 6.2 in my 2016 Sierra with MAX tow pkg, and 8 speed, rated to tow 11,700 lbs and 1870 lbs payload. I pull a loaded TT est. 7500 lbs, and went cross country 7300 miles out west and back. She was a pleasure to drive. Took on the Rockies 11000 ft passes with ease. The cruise control coupled with the 8 speed easily maintained 55 mph ascending, and controlled the descent. I usually ran a safe 63mph on the flats. Very pleased.

Same exact experience, direction, total miles, and even pass thru the Rockies at 12,000ft...but replace Sierra 6.2L with Toyota Sequoia 5.7L and Hensley hitch. I also typically ran 68-72mph on the open interstate. 7-9mpg.

The 6.2L by Chevy and Ford are VERY similar to Toyota's 5.7L in power and gas mileage. Durability and reliability are dang close too, but you know all know how die hard Toyota motors are.

I really hope Chevy dumps their 6.0L.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
Starting to look at a new truck for 2019. I have been pulling with a Duramax, but now looking to maybe go with a gas engine next time around. The reason is based low pulling mileage and trailer weight.

It looks like the 6.2 is going to be GM's only gas offering, so I am wondering who has pulled with this engine and what is your opinions of it.
My food for thought would be what does almost all if not all motorhomes that are not of the pusher type use for an engine?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
martinto wrote:

Good to hear, thanks for the info. I can't imagine what a 8 speed is like, not to mention the 10 speed they are talking about. Did you feel it was shifting all the time? If so, was it annoying or Ok and something you got used to?

I remember well, when we only had 2 and 3 speed automatics.

I used tow haul mode all the way. That mode controls the tranny shift points, so minimal downshifts evident. Now, when ascending a steep grade, she will kick down to hold speed if on cruise control, but not a concerning issue.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
You can always lock gears out to prevent downshifting and speed loss on the hills, if it bugs you. Shoot, I wish I had a 10-speed. It's got to be easier to find your engine's sweet spot when towing heavy.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The more power your have the less shifting. The farther you have to push the gas pedal down the more the tranny has to shift down. The 6.2 puts out monster numbers. Same as the new Ford Eco 3.5. Of course with more gears (8-10) you'll get more shifting. But the shifting will be less noticeable since the spacing is closer.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:

Good to hear, thanks for the info. I can't imagine what a 8 speed is like, not to mention the 10 speed they are talking about. Did you feel it was shifting all the time? If so, was it annoying or Ok and something you got used to?

I remember well, when we only had 2 and 3 speed automatics.
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

martinto
Explorer
Explorer

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Folks! The OP does not want another diesel! He's been there, done that. He's asking about gas options. He feels he tows too little to justify the diesel. I totally get it, and I'm a Cummins owner!

Correct, I fully understand a gas engine will not compare to my duramax for pulling ability. In fact, my diesel doesn't even know it has a trailer behind it. 😉

I am just thinking I pull so little, that a gas engine might be the better way to go for my needs. Thus the interest in others opinions.
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Folks! The OP does not want another diesel! He's been there, done that. He's asking about gas options. He feels he tows too little to justify the diesel. I totally get it, and I'm a Cummins owner!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bowti wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Do you believe that a gas engine will get better pulling mileage than a diesel??

No, I am just wondering what those who have pulled with the 6.2L think about it.

By "low pulling mileage" you meant that you do not tow your trailer very far in a year, correct? The statement had nothing to do with fuel economy.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.2l was upgraded in 2017, producing more torque at a lower rpm. From what I've been told, it's a night and day difference. The tranny was upgraded as well.

I think 0-60 and quarter mile are also real world times and stats. Did you look at the comparison?

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
I know people buy numbers for sure but they aren't everything. The fast lane truck on you tube puts all these trucks up against each other and test them hard. They test real world times and stats. The 6.0 gas seems to prove itself over and over again. I had 2 6.2 engines (in the same truck) and hated it for towing. One was a 07' and the other'09 so they were not the new style.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Samsonsworld wrote:
Power Torque
Ford 6.2L V8 385 hp @ 5,750 rpm 430 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm
GM 6.0L V8 360 hp @ 5,400 rpm 380 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm
Ram 6.4L V8 410 hp @ 5,600 rpm 429 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Maybe Bowti should take a newly designed SuperDuty 6.2 for a test drive. The numbers... 385 hp/430 lb-ft @ 3,800 look good, and the engine/transmission a proven winner.

Jerry