cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM 6.6 gas

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Not much talked about here on the new GM 6.6 engine. Whats the thoughts from people that own one? I may be interested in getting one next year if it has the 10 speed transmission.
Wish there was a bit more published testing other than those two guys that don't seem to really know what they're doing. Please don't refer to them since the test they did mentioned that the truck was floored and it showed the RPMs at like 3600 or what ever it was. But any real life input would be appreciated.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
38 REPLIES 38

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Krusty wrote:
Ford's 10R80 transmission was a joint venture between Ford and GM. It is a light duty transmission used in vehicles like the F150 and Mustang. It is not an HD transmission that would be suitable in the HD trucks.
Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect that the 10R140 used in Super Duty trucks is closely related to the 10R80, just scaled up for the extra torque. I don't understand why GM took so long to do the same thing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
Ford's 10R80 transmission was a joint venture between Ford and GM. It is a light duty transmission used in vehicles like the F150 and Mustang. It is not an HD transmission that would be suitable in the HD trucks.
Thanks for the clarification.

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
trailrider wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Must be there are only 3 RVers that own a 6.6 gas engine, based on the responses. Must be many that go for the Duramax.

That is the result of dealers only ordering diesels to put on the lot. It is almost impossible to find a gas powered HD pickup sitting on a lot. Unless you want a white work truck.

There is some truth to that statement.
I just bought mine a few weeks ago.
My dealer ran a 250 mile radius trace for a LT double cab gasser.
There was a total of 1 on the lots.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Must be there are only 3 RVers that own a 6.6 gas engine, based on the responses. Must be many that go for the Duramax.

That is the result of dealers only ordering diesels to put on the lot. It is almost impossible to find a gas powered HD pickup sitting on a lot. Unless you want a white work truck.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
noteven wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
noteven wrote:
Is there something wrong with the Allison transmission in GM pickups?

Other than it doesn't have 4 overdrive speeds mostly useless for towing?

Other than the gasser trucks havenโ€™t had the Allison option since the 8.1L days, nothing is wrong with the Allison.

GM calls Allison: "We need more speeds... consumers want speeds!"

Allison: "Why?"

GM: "Because Ford has more speeds..."

Allison: "But Ford uses 140 cubic inch engines..."

Too many Molsons?
Youโ€™re not making sense son...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
noteven wrote:

Other than the gasser trucks havenโ€™t had the Allison option since the 8.1L days, nothing is wrong with the Allison.

Allison does not build transmissions for GM. GM licensed the name for marketing reasons.

I have an actual Allison 6 speed in my motorhome. I really wish that it had one or two more gears. You do not notice the gear spacing much when lightly loaded but as you allude to it is much more important when heavily loaded. Most people buying a 3/4 ton or up expect to load it heavily at times. My motorhome is always heavy.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
I don't have one, but have been looking at them.

I would not expect a 10 speed until 2022 at the earliest. This is my biggest disappointment and one reason I may end up with Ford and the 7.3L.

I know the GM factories had a strike early in the year and then Covid hit, so dealerships where I am don't even have the **** things to look at or test. And they have stopped taking 2020 orders and are not taking 2021 orders yet. Applies to both Ford and GM.

My Chev dealer was ready to take an order for a 2021 HD a month ago.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
noteven wrote:

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
The 4 overdrive gears may not be useful for towing, but the first 6 gears sure are nice to have.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback. A little over a year ago I traded in my 06 chevy 3/4 ton with the 6.0 4spd for my 2019 Chevy 1500 5.3 8spd. Its great and tows my 6,000 lb trailer real nice but after you've had a couple 3/4 tons, you appreciate the heavier truck. So, in the back of my mind is that new 6.6, but after now driving with the 8 speed I kind of want 8 or 10 gears. We'll wait and see what chevy does.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
noteven wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
The 10-speed was a joint dev effort between Ford and GM so not sure why Ford is in market with it sooner? The 8L90 8-speed has also been around so not sure why you can't get it in a truck?

I have the 10L80 ten speed in our 2019 Yukon with 6.2. While I donโ€™t pull too much with it, it returns a consistent 23 MPG expressway driving at 75 mph.