cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM, Ford or Dodge?

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
Need to upgrade our 2004 Duramax to better tow our new, heavier fifth wheel. Want a one ton, dually, diesel, long bed, 4x4, crew cab with most available options. It would be a 2014 Dodge or Ford or a 2015 GM.

Have any of you gone through this comparison recently and objectively?

Prices (via Costco auto buying program) are all almost identical...dealer cost in all cases, which amounts to about $5,000 off MSRP.

What were the deciding factors in your choice?
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club
55 REPLIES 55

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GM - A little bit nicer ride than a solid front axle equipped truck.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
I am talking with Dave Smith. Thanks.
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
Hotel wrote:
... Want a one ton, dually, diesel, long bed, 4x4, crew cab with most available options. It would be a 2014 Dodge or Ford or a 2015 GM...

For the last 35 yrs I always bought only GM sedans/SUVs, but I prefer Dodge/Ram for HD pickups. I also got tired of waiting on GM to update the HDs and they always seem to lag a bit on the competition and could have done more for the 2015 HD release.
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
I agree $5K off is crazy check with Dave Smith Motors will be more like $15K off.

http://www.davesmith.com/specials/index.htm?category=Chrysler+Specials
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
the 2015 ford might have more HP than their 2014. Any of the 3 is faster than our 05 that is fastest enough for me.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
What happened here! :h

I'll be waiting for the excuses! :B
Yeah well, the Ford had a 4.3 axle ratio, the Ram had 4.1 and the Chevy had a 3.73.
Not exactly a level playing field!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,
When it came time to buy my next diesel truck in '12 I test drove the RAM, Ford and kicked the tire on the Chevy, but after giving the Chevy interior one last shot I didn't either bother test driving.

After doing more due diligence I decided on another Super Duty with the 6.7 psd. Currently has ~38k miles and this truck continue to amaze me with the great fuel economy and awesome pulling power. While wrapped in a great truck package.:B

Good luck with your search.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
DannyA wrote:
Just look around a campground and I think you will see Ford more than 2 to 1. There must be a reason!
I was looking for a truck and decided to see what others had bought. I quickly found that it was Ford.
Just my thoughts.

Well just because they are popular, doesn't mean they are the best!

Last King of the Hill Ford needed to use the F450 to match the Ram 3500, and it still lost!

Ram/Dodge never re-branded the Cummins, very proud the the engine choice they made and worked out in the 80's.
I went from Ford to Dodge/Ram after 45 years, next truck will be another RAM, just need to wear this one first! Currently only at 268,000 may be several more years!!

What happened here! :h

I'll be waiting for the excuses! :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Hotel California wrote:
Original poster here again. Thanks for all of the replies. Appreciate all of the opinions and facts. I think I have crossed the Ford off of the list. It may be a good truck, but there is just something about the way they look that I can't get past.

Leaning toward the RAM, but without the Aisin transmission. Will probably wait until I can actually see a new (2015) GMC Sierra Denali before we decide. Interestingly, you can no longer order a 2014 GMC, yet they cannot tell you when the 2015's will be available or what they will cost. Screwy way to run the business...

Thanks again to all.

If you buy a RAM spend the 2900 for the Aisin tranny! It is worth every extra penny.

Chris

I agree... No one in there right mind would want a Dodge 68RFE tranny.

Oh... But the Aisin is a Japanese brand tranny! I'm sure it will cost a more than a few penny's if a repair is needed. :E

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ricatic wrote:
DannyA wrote:
Just look around a campground and I think you will see Ford more than 2 to 1. There must be a reason!
I was looking for a truck and decided to see what others had bought. I quickly found that it was Ford.
Just my thoughts.

...so does that mean that McDonalds sells the best hamburgers:B

On another note, my brother delivers trailers as a supplement to his income. He has been a Ford devotee all his life...he is as bad a Blue KoolAid drinker as I used to be...just last week we were at my mom's for a birthday. The talk inevitably turned to trucks. I was shocked when he said that he had to admit that after two years of running trailers and talking with Ram owner operators, he admitted that he understood why the Ram Cummins trucks were far and away the most popular trucks among the guy's that really work them...and his dispatch depot parking lot was most prominently populated with Ram/Cummins trucks...

After owning a POS 6.7 Ford, I would only advise that one goes Ram or GM...My stepson is driving a 2015 GM 3500 Dually DuraMax Extended Cab 4x4 at work right now...and he is quite happy with the truck...

Regards

And Burger King and Wendy's is better? :W

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are leaning towards the RAM, then understand that the 68RFE version is tuned to 370/800 vs the Aisin being tuned to 385/850. The Aisin seems to have a firmer shift pattern versus the 68RFE which gives a feeling of flaring between gears (fixed with a different calibration like I did for my truck). Also note that the Aisin dually also upgrades from a 11.5" rear end to an 11.8" rear end and a finned differential cover. If I were buying a dually for pure towing duties, I would strongly consider moving towards an Aisin.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hotel California wrote:
Original poster here again. Thanks for all of the replies. Appreciate all of the opinions and facts. I think I have crossed the Ford off of the list. It may be a good truck, but there is just something about the way they look that I can't get past.

Leaning toward the RAM, but without the Aisin transmission. Will probably wait until I can actually see a new (2015) GMC Sierra Denali before we decide. Interestingly, you can no longer order a 2014 GMC, yet they cannot tell you when the 2015's will be available or what they will cost. Screwy way to run the business...

Thanks again to all.

Look around, you might still find a 2014 on a lot. I just purchased a 2014 GMC Denali 3500 HD DRW D/A for $13,000 off sticker price. Not many left but some great deals because of new body style coming soon.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
These new trucks are nice, but not cheap anymore.
I agree with spending the extra $$ for the Aisin trans in the Ram.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hotel California wrote:

Thanks again to all.

If you buy a RAM spend the 2900 for the Aisin tranny! It is worth every extra penny.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021