cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GMC tailgate

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think we've discussed this GM ingenuity but recently saw a commercial for it:

here's a video:

6-way tailgate... the must have

you can delete the option for a regular tailgate but lose the power option. this tailgate is NOT available on silverado's because, you know, they are completely different trucks.

this will definitely set the mark for the truck industry moving forward.
30 REPLIES 30

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of info if you Google the tailgate. Combination electric buttons and manual button.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So now we have a tailgate for the beer belly crowd!
And here GM was making fun of Fords man step!

Whatโ€™s next lowering the truck to make it easier for the vertically challenged to get in?......oh wait, Ram took care of that!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
bob213 wrote:
My neighbor is GM tech and says they will be coming to Chevy soon. I asked about retro-fitting an existing tailgate and he said in his opinion with the electronics involved the cost would be overwhelming.
What is electronic about it? I all looked mechanical to me.

According to him all the back up camera wiring, obstacle detection etc are in the tailgate. It's almost a game on this forum to have every statement challenged by some mechanical wizard. I'm just relaying what I was told.

Challenged? I thought it was a reasonable question. The tailgate itself appears to be a manually operated affair.

The "obstacle detection" sensors are mounted in the bumper and not the tailgate.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tailgate configures itself differently depending on the sequence in which you push the two buttons. That says electronic to me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
bob213 wrote:
My neighbor is GM tech and says they will be coming to Chevy soon. I asked about retro-fitting an existing tailgate and he said in his opinion with the electronics involved the cost would be overwhelming.

According to him all the back up camera wiring, obstacle detection etc are in the tailgate. It's almost a game on this forum to have every statement challenged by some mechanical wizard. I'm just relaying what I was told.

Challenged? I thought it was a reasonable question. The tailgate itself appears to be a manually operated affair.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
bob213 wrote:

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GM bumper step is ingenious, un obtrusive and handy. This convertibles Swiss army tailgate is a gimmick and only practical for light use. It must not be intended for everyone.
If you put heavy stuff on a tailgate, it's bad (too many pieces to be as rigid /sturdy)
If you remove your tailgate periodically, it's bad (heavy).
If you expect it to last a long time and actually work the truck, it's bad (too many moving parts).

But even though it's a gimmick, it's a neat one and it'll sell some trucks, and that's the point, right?
I see future Craigslist adds "Will trade GMC Swiss army tailgate for real tailgate.."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I use the top of the tire as a step, and the side of the bed as a grab handle.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, If I had that grab handle and the step it would definitely beat the hey out of the five gallon bucket i now use.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I like that retractable grab handle. It looks like the stole it directly off the old version Ford used.

Poor Howie, his choice of trucks keeps getting smaller. Maybe Ram can accommodate him if he can get past the big nerdy touchscreen. :B

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
I don't think we've discussed this GM ingenuity but recently saw a commercial for it:

here's a video:

6-way tailgate... the must have

you can delete the option for a regular tailgate but lose the power option. this tailgate is NOT available on silverado's because, you know, they are completely different trucks.

this will definitely set the mark for the truck industry moving forward.

I wish there was a sarcasm meter on some posts!;)

I wish GM would have taken half the brain power used to solve a problem that never needed solving and put that towards competing with RAM and Ford. the new ram interior is light years ahead of GM.

GM putting all their eggs in the truck and SUV basket means that can't screw up unfortunately the new 1500's are a screw up.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
That tailgate is a great idea for a contractor. If I didnโ€™t have a TC I would definitely have that option.

what contractor drives a denali?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Looks like lots of nooks and crannies to collect road grime and debris. What happens if I haul a load of dirt or landscaping mulch?

Oh wait, it's a Denali. Never mind.

How much will this increase the cost of getting rear ended?

What about road salt and brine used for ice during the winter?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"