cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going on a Trip without the Avion... in a 41yo Truck!

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
So many of you know of our adventures here in Alaska with our 1966 Avion C-10 and our trusty 2002 F350.

Friday we depart to pick up from Western Washington a 1976 F100 with a canopy and deliver it to our son and daughter-in-law in Twenty-nine Palms, CA.

This 41 year-old truck was recently inspected by an old Navy buddy of mine to see if it would be a solid pickup for my 21 yo tank-mechanic in the Marine-Corps. Back track to this past fall when his wife got a good job working for the news paper as a reporter, but now with a reporter and a tank mechanic with hours the exceed most logic, a single car was going to prove challenging at best. So he called me and asked if I would start looking for truck that was old enough that he could repair and maintain, one that got relatively decent mileage, has A/C and all that for around $3000.

So as I searched CL up and down the west coast from Seattle to San Diego, I found there was a large diversity in prices. In the desert country east of LA/SD there was a nice 1976 F100 302 V-8 three-speed with no A/C but fresh paint and 20" rims and rubber-band tires for $12,700. We found this one family owned truck with the son of the original owner had been garaged all its life, 302 V-8, 3 on the tree, with PS and A/C. The truck was very clean and was original down to the original hub-caps and beauty rings. The Carb was messed up, and barely running and had a few other drive-ability issues, so we settled on $2,200 and he would deliver to my buddy's house.

This is what it looked like when it arrived.

Absolutely no-rust. Have had to machine the fly-wheel and replace the clutch and pressure plate, replace the starter and battery and fix the wiring the son of the Original Owner messed up. Rebuilt the Carb, tuned up the truck, installed a canopy (I know its not a TC, but it's only an F100! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Chased down several electrical gremlins and got all the lights, heater twin tanks etc all working. Planning on a set of tires when we arrive in Washington Saturday.

So hopefully my Navy buddy has found all the gremlins and the trip will be just great, but figured I'd post with our TC family from RV.Net to see who may be along the way...

Headed Sunday from the Olympic Peninsula to Ellensburg then down through Yakima to Grandview to stay with friends. Then Monday head across the river through Hermiston, OR, across the Blue's on 84 to Nampa for lunch with old friends then on to Twin Falls for the night. From Twin we head south through Jackpot into Nevada and all the way down to Las Vegas. Get a room and then up on Wednesday to the final leg over to Twenty Nine Palms, CA.

Hopefully all will go nice and smooth, but if you happen to live on the route, and see a grey haired old guy in a tan Ford with a black canopy broke down, you'll know it's probably me...

Thanks again!
Garry (normally in Kodiak, Alaska)
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
21 REPLIES 21

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
well had miserable traffic today getting off the Olympic Peninsula. Then a bad accident on the 18 that shut down 18 over Tiger Summit. So redirected to Issaquah then finally on the 90. Truck getting better the more we drive it. Bad gas is getting flushed through and I was able to maintain 70-75 on the 90 all the way over Snoqualmie Pass.

Will pass ads and post more later!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
well had miserable traffic today getting off the Olympic Peninsula. Then a bad accident on the 18 that shut down 18 over Tiger Summit. So redirected to Issaquah then finally on the 90. Truck getting better the more we drive it. Bad gas is getting flushed through and I was able to maintain 70-75 on the 90 all the way over Snoqualmie Pass.

Will pass ads and post more later!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Well had a short trip today. Left Ellensburg this morning and drove around 80 miles to good friends house in Grandview. Relaxed in the sunshine waxing the F100. Also when fueling up in Ellensburg that the 302 is sipping from both tanks at the same time. Will fill up tomorrow to see how bad the mileage is cruising at 70 mph. Also looked under the truck at the spare and found the 41 YO G78-15 spare that had great tread but a pad lock and deep weather cracks. Went to Les Schwab and had them cut the lock off and change the spare tire for a new one. Then they dropped the spare tire carrier because the nut was broke free of the clip on one end. So we have the spare and the bracket in the back of the canopy for now. The speedo cable is growling at low speeds that sort of quiets down at highway speeds. Well tomorrow is a long long haul. Trying to go 10 hours and end up in Ely NV. Wells NV is due to get 1-3" of snow tomorrow night so we are going to try to get past there and further south. Well hope this is entertaining for some. Take care!!
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Well had miserable traffic today getting off the Olympic Peninsula. Then a bad accident on the 18 that shut down 18 over Tiger Summit. So redirected to Issaquah then finally on the 90. Truck getting better the more we drive it. Bad gas is getting flushed through and I was able to maintain 70-75 on the 90 all the way over Snoqualmie Pass. Made it to Ellensburg WA with no issues. Truck is smoothing out the more I drive it.

Will post more later!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
A 302 and a 3-on the tree. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was amazed at how many clean old trucks I saw in Medford and Grants Pass Or last month while visiting.

The rust here in Utah has killed the vast majority of everything from the 70's.

I even saw rust free Datsun pickups and a rust free VW Rabbit.

I was amazed.
Camp Host, from the other side.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a nice trip.
Good chance to establish fuelly record.
I did own few 1960-70's vehicles and even cars had mpg in single-digit.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Made it to Washington. Got the new tires on the truck. Found the truck wasn't running too good and the steering had 90 degrees of play. Found my budy had checked one plug and it looked good so he didn't check the rest. When I checked the rest of the plugs, 3 of 8 were wet with fuel. Also found that the rag joint was toast. So 8 plugs and a set of Beldin wires and a new rag joint we are almost ready to hit the road. Will post pics later!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
More pics!

127K on the clock!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Unusual to find an old truck that isn't just clapped. Nice find.
The only fly in the ointment is the crazy smog laws in CA if registered there.
The cutoff used to be 1973 and older did not need a smog inspection. I think it has moved up to cover the '76.
jefe

Funny thing is that the truck still has all the original smog stuff. Pump, Cat etc. Cat was plugged, so it was cut out for now as it is licensed in Alaska, and my son is Active Duty Marine, so until he gets out, there is no big deal for him.

Yeah, I have yet to see the truck in person, but my buddy is a Ford fanatic, and when he looked it over, and saw the condition, he said if we could get it low enough, he would fix it up for me to drive to Cali. The guy selling had broke the new carb while trying to replace the old one instead of rebuilding then broke the filter off in the carb, so my buddy didn't hear it run or drive it before we bought it...

So someone was watching out for us as it runs really good now.

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
**** I'm jealous - that is a great find.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It really is true, not everything about new trucks is better.
I did finally give up my old Fords but I still have my '86 GMC 4x4 dually.
Manual trans, Warn manual front hubs, zero electronics. Now that I don't drive it much, the horrible MPG doesn't really matter, and I can ALWAYS count on it to save the day when my computerized truck needs a ride home on the stretcher!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why I hang on to my 1997 F350 7.3 diesel crew cab I bought new in 1997. One, it's pristine (I don't ever drive it in the snow up here) and 2, it has no emissions whatsoever. Even too off the breather recirc and put on a road draft tube. 21 empty, 18 with the camper on.

Been offered 20 grand cash. I laughed. A new one is 65 with a payment book as thick as a telephone book. Not for me.

Almost forgot, it's old school 4 wd with leaves and solid axles and a shifter on the floor for the transfer case...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Unusual to find an old truck that isn't just clapped. Nice find.
The only fly in the ointment is the crazy smog laws in CA if registered there.
The cutoff used to be 1973 and older did not need a smog inspection. I think it has moved up to cover the '76.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
That truck is a nice find, congrats! Had one exactly like that back in the mid-eighties that I used as a daily driver. Except it was green and white. But it did have the 302, three on the tree. I got about 14 miles per gallon with it. It was a nice driving truck.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.