Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Grief a tire question

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,
Boy I hate to ask this......................

I had a blow out on a 225.75R. 15 tire. The tire was but a year old, oh well. I was only able to get a load E tire. my regular tires inflate to 65 lbs the E can be at 80. I had Campers world put the (already mounted) E on the trailer and I think they adjusted it to 65 lbs..

Is this OK or should I ramp it back to 80. I may get 3 more E's when I get home in a few months but for now with about 7000 miles to go what is the best for the TT tires now.

TIA
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.
29 REPLIES 29

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
BTW.. My TT weighs 5500 lbs and is 30 ft long

If it's a TT I doubt that. My 24' is 5150 and it's supposed to be an ultralight.

Did you weigh it on a scale? What model is it?
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you use nitrogen be extra safe and use only organic non-GMO gluten free nitrogen.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Community Alumni
Not applicable
A very good read on Nitrogen in tires from an actual tire engineer.

Link

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I think the nitrogen fill is supposed to prevent pressure variances due to temperature changes. Not sure. My tires have the same thing but if they ever need air that's exactly what they'll get. Air.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It appears I have those special TT tires. You know the ones filled with nitrogen.

Not that common air with just 70% nitrogen but that extra special, super duper, 100% high dollar nitrogen filling.

I do not know how it ever kept my cars an trucks on the road for the last 50 years without it.

What were they thinking you would gain on a TT tire you should replace in five years?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
YW Tom!

Never read the recall info. just had seen there was one.

Sounds like that was one pain in the .....!!! Hang in there!!!!

Wondering how the stock tires Jayco is now using are going to hold up. They now use Rainier (or Rainer- can't remember exactly at the moment! Lol).

I do have every intention on replacing our factory tires in the spring with LR E's (have D's now) for the extra weight capacity cushion.

Keep us posted!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Found the thread with the info: Towmax Tire Recall!

Good luck, maybe you can get reimbursed for at least part of the replacement.

Thanks for your info. My trailer was built in Aug 2014 so thinking it may be one that has the recalled tires. I'll call my dealer in Mi on Monday.
I cannot locate the code but will stop if I can find a tire dealer in our travels.
You can't imagine the difficulty of a blown tire creates. I had only slight damage BUT 1st I couldn't get 2 of the lug nuts to come off,the outer chrome spun on the nuts, had to drive on the impact wrench with Hammer, the trail lift from Campers world didn't rise the trailer high enough. Road service 200 bucks. To find place in Maryland to buy tire, found one in the farm country. To get it put on 50 bucks at Campers World while we waited for 3 hours.
I now have all the tools to change but have COPD so don't know if I can do it anyways.

The new tire is a Gladiator and is load E Seems like a good tire.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
bhall wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
bhall wrote:
nobody asked what is the max pressure rated for the WHEELS themselves?

there is a good chance the wheels do not have a air psi rating, only a load in pounds ( weight ) rating.

Possible. 2 of mine are stamped, the other 2 weren't.

anyway, some reading material for the OP
http://fifthwheelst.com/step5.html

What the heck are you doing up at 3 am!? Haha! just visited Gettysburg camping in October.. first time in 20 years... love your town with it's quant downtown, great restaurants and the amazing history of that battle! and the NEW National visitors center-- Spectacular!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I think most experts (ie manufacturers) will recommend that you should always inflate tires to the maximum sidewall pressure when they are used in trailer applications. In other applications it is normal to adjust pressure down if the applied load allows for a reduction in pressure from the maximum. However, that is to soften the ride in a passenger carrying vehicle. Since TT's don't normally carry passengers a soft or harsh ride is irrelevant.

Maximum sidewall indicated pressure gives the tires their maximum load carrying ability. If your trailer is so heavy that it exceeds that then you need a different set of tires anyway. If your trailer is lighter than the maximum ability of your tires there is no reason to reduce the tire pressure to match that lighter loading.

It sometimes seems that passenger tire information finds it's way into travel trailer tire discussions. They are two entirely different applications and what applies to one does not necessarily apply to the other.

From everything I have ever read, trailer tires should be inflated to their maximum sidewall pressure rating. Anything less creates unnecessary heat and has the potential to cause tire failure. Having said that, it's your trailer and your tires so you should certainly do whatever you want.

However, I wouldn't be too quick to take the trailer manufacturers word for it. It's very possible they printed the manual for a different tire size than you have currently installed. They rarely keep their manuals up to date and previous owners could have easily changed the tires from the ones installed by the manufacturer.

THANKS for the detailed explanation.. Very helpful! I have learned a lot about my new TT from these very helpful forums! Much appreciated!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
The way I read the TowMax recall it has nothing to do with the quality of the tire but is simply because of mismarked tire pressure numbers on the sidewall. I suppose that if you had been running them with the indicated 80PSI instead of the actual rated 65PSI the over pressurization may cause a problem.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

bhall
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
bhall wrote:
nobody asked what is the max pressure rated for the WHEELS themselves?

there is a good chance the wheels do not have a air psi rating, only a load in pounds ( weight ) rating.

Possible. 2 of mine are stamped, the other 2 weren't.

anyway, some reading material for the OP
http://fifthwheelst.com/step5.html

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Found the thread with the info: Towmax Tire Recall!

Good luck, maybe you can get reimbursed for at least part of the replacement.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,

Do you have the Towmax that came on your Jayco? There are some as I understand that were recalled, not sure of the size. More info over on the Jayco forums.

As for mixing the LR E with the factory D's, Carlisle states all tires must be identical in size. But being the same load range is not specificaly mentioned, but IMO this includes the load range, as it is a spec of the tire. Because of what Carlisle states when Discount Tire mounted 3-C and 1-D on our first tt, I had them replace the D so all tires were LR C once I noticed this (maybe a month later). Tried to go the other way, but they didn't have any more D's in stock (205/75/15) at that time.

Having 7k miles to go, you may consider replacing the other tires. At least the other tire that is on the same side as the blowout tire.

Have a safe and fun trip!!!

I always run the trailer tires at max cold psi stated on the sidewall, as others have mentioned.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I think most experts (ie manufacturers) will recommend that you should always inflate tires to the maximum sidewall pressure when they are used in trailer applications. In other applications it is normal to adjust pressure down if the applied load allows for a reduction in pressure from the maximum. However, that is to soften the ride in a passenger carrying vehicle. Since TT's don't normally carry passengers a soft or harsh ride is irrelevant.

Maximum sidewall indicated pressure gives the tires their maximum load carrying ability. If your trailer is so heavy that it exceeds that then you need a different set of tires anyway. If your trailer is lighter than the maximum ability of your tires there is no reason to reduce the tire pressure to match that lighter loading.

It sometimes seems that passenger tire information finds it's way into travel trailer tire discussions. They are two entirely different applications and what applies to one does not necessarily apply to the other.

From everything I have ever read, trailer tires should be inflated to their maximum sidewall pressure rating. Anything less creates unnecessary heat and has the potential to cause tire failure. Having said that, it's your trailer and your tires so you should certainly do whatever you want.

However, I wouldn't be too quick to take the trailer manufacturers word for it. It's very possible they printed the manual for a different tire size than you have currently installed. They rarely keep their manuals up to date and previous owners could have easily changed the tires from the ones installed by the manufacturer.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU