cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Smaller - Medium Units to Check Out and Advice

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
I have found out on here that with the ExpeditionEL we need to stay in under or around the 6,000 pound dry weight area. I looked at a local dealer today with my wife and the selection is somewhat confusing. We are Class A and C owners and could really use some suggestions for what to look at. I have a garage that we had for the Class A DP that the TT will stay in so it will be out of the weather when not in use.

I don't want RV troubles. I am too old and life is too short. Our luck with the Newmar brand was good. Unfortunately they do not make trailers and we are tired of the Class A and C stuff....

What are some good units to look at and what cautions would you like to warn me about in construction. Do they all have rubber roofs???? I saw aluminum stud walls and laminated walls. - is delamination a problem with TTs???. Also I saw some units with a cover underneath to protect all the stuff down there that I liked... We would like to find something reliable, bulletproof and hopefully lightly used (or new) if we can so I won't care if it sits in the garage and I don't use it sometimes. Suggestions??
15 REPLIES 15

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
I am not saying that it wouldn't be a good idea to go longer than what I have. You should be good for up to 7500-8k gross. I would definitely consider a 27' class too. I am just saying that if you find an ultra light that is a 30' class, you might want to think twice.

The biggest thing for a good handling, safe trailer set up is doing your homework. Make sure you load the trailer correctly. Make sure you weigh the trailer fully loaded on a truck scale (if possible). Many of the WDH components are based on tongue weight, so you want to know what it weighs after you get it loaded to ensure your components are properly selected.
In principle, a WDH is nothing more than an added suspension component. If it is too big or small, it may not perform as it should. Or worse, lead to unpredictable handling.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
ExpeditionEL wrote:
Beachums...

What type of hitch do you use?

It is the Reese Dual Cam Straight Line. Overall, I am happy with it.
There is a bit of a learning curve to get it dialed in. Also, I had to re-tap the holes for the cam brackets because they stipped out. That being said, some of the newer set ups that are available look decent as well.
The shorter the wheelbase, the more important the anti-sway component of the WDH.
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

GuyGene
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also check out the Oliver and Escape. Those two are definitely well made and are on my next trailer short list! Do a startpage.com (I avoid google) search for their sites. Your Expedition while tow those fine.
That old man, he don't think like no old man.

"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but..
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
Check out the Camplite trailers from LivinLite. They are lightweight, very well built, and different from many other brands. All aluminum construction in terms of roof, shell, exterior siding, frame and floor. Azdel inside. No wood anywhere. We really like our 21BHS. Have about 6,000 miles so far over 65 nights. Longest trip has been from Florida to the Grand Canyon and Utah; towing with a Ram 1500.

Click for Camplite Trailers

I like the construction and looked closely but they did not have a floorplan that would fit our needs. There is another manufacturer that uses a similar construction - Coachmen Apex. I like a couple of their floor plans and we have a dealer about an hour away which would be nice. I am going to post a question asking about them before we make the drive and see what some owners have to say. Maybe we can learn something to watch for. I really like this construction technique though.

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
Beachums...
Thanks for the advice from someone like you that has a similar setup. I think you are right. Also like I said earlier I think the weight we want to stay within will restrict the length. We expect to stay around 25-26 feet. And we may even go a little less. This is a new experience for us, somewhat like when we bought our first class c and had no idea what we were doing. We still took the time to ask questions of people that had experience with what we were looking at. It paid off too. You are never too old to ask questions and learn from others.
What type of hitch do you use? My iPad does not show your signature. I must have something set wrong that I need to look at. Are you happy with the hitch and does it seem to be safe and steady? Thanks. I want to buy the right stuff to set it up as best as it can be done. We are looking at something like a Coachmen Apex which are lighter weight units and I think that will help too.

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
ExpeditionEL wrote:
gypsmjim wrote:
Don't know what small / medium means. Different people might have a different opinion.

Look at the Jayco SLX series.

Yep. I understand. That's why in my original post I tried to go with weight restrictions as a definition of small to medium. I am not restricted by length really..... But the weight that the Expedition will safely tow actually restricts the length probably. At least that is my guess.....

Thank you for the suggestion and reply. I will look at those units..

I too have an Expedition EL. It's a 2015. I upgraded that from a short wheelbase Expedition. I can tell you with all certainty, you should also pay attention to length as well. Even with the extended wheelbase, the Expedition is still short when you compared it to most pick ups. I tow the 25' class (28' overall) trailer you see in my sig. By every account (other than car payment) the EL is an improvement. However, I still was more sensitive to crosswinds, passing trucks, and medium speed maneuvering (off ramps) than my good friend who has the same length trailer being towed with a crew cab half ton.
This is reflecting that I did my homework when I set my hitch up. I took it to the scales fully loaded and ensured my weights were distributed.
So yes, I would pay also attention to length.;)
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

txredfish1
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a Newmar motorhome to a TT. I looked at a lot of TT before buying.
You will find out that the Newmar quality is much better than most of the TT.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Check out the Camplite trailers from LivinLite. They are lightweight, very well built, and different from many other brands. All aluminum construction in terms of roof, shell, exterior siding, frame and floor. Azdel inside. No wood anywhere. We really like our 21BHS. Have about 6,000 miles so far over 65 nights. Longest trip has been from Florida to the Grand Canyon and Utah; towing with a Ram 1500.

Click for Camplite Trailers

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Lance makes good quality lightweight trailers. Our 1685 has had minimal issues since we bought it in 2014 and put over 10,000 miles on it on a cross country trip. Good luck!
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Stay as far under your maximum tow ratings as possible. Also look at frontal area, some are ten percent less than others. In other words, make sure that you get something that is fun and easy to tow before everything else. A bad tow ruins the whole experience. Your budget will determine the level you choose. Be aware that most units share accessories and appliances regardless of price. A eighteen footer that Is fun to tow and easy to set up will give you more fun trips than the fanciest rig if it is a pain to tow and awkward to use. Keep it simple.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have indoor storage, so maintaining the seals on a rubber roof will be minimal. Just avoiding UV exposure and the elements for six months of each calendar year makes a huge difference. Since moving to OH and purchasing the Minnie, we've had indoor storage and it has made a huge difference....roof has stayed cleaner and caulking has not started to crack.

You may want to do some research on TPO roof systems, which may be better than EDPM rubber roofs. Depending on what you decide about the two systems, it may determine what trailer you buy.

Just like most posters, I will tell you that I'm very happy with our current trailer, which is a Winnebago Minnie. There are several trailers in the Minnie line that meet your weight requirements. Because we do take longer trips, we chose the 2201DS due to the amount of storage space and the outdoor kitchen, which is something we really wanted. Overall quality of the Winnebago line of trailers is better than average. But, the seat cushions for the dinette had poor foam cushions for the main seating in the trailer. I had the foam replaced with higher quality foam more appropriate for seat cushions and it made a huge difference!

Other companies that I would consider would be Jayco/Starcraft (2 yr. warranties, look at upper level lines i.e. Jayco Eagle), Lance, Arctic Fox, Nash, and Outdoors MFG. But, take your time and look at a lot of different trailers and determine what will work for you.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
23ft Airstream Flying Cloud comes in at 6000lbs loaded. For that you get no slides think less space but also a lot less problems from leaks, rot, and de lamination. High resale value. Less maintenance. At that length can get into all state and federal parks. Good luck in whatever you choose.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
First do not look at the "Dry Weight". Use the GVWR as a towing weight. Next are you looking for a high range TT like a Airstream or mid range like Northwood, Keystone or Jayco or a entry level like Dutchman, Forest River or Lance.

Understand different years TT's are rated differently as far as quality, customer service etc. goes. I purchased the Travel Trailer & 5th Wheel Comparison Guide by Randall Eaton on Amazon for $70. Money well spent. Gives much detail on the various years and is an independent evaluation. Good luck
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
gypsmjim wrote:
Don't know what small / medium means. Different people might have a different opinion.

Look at the Jayco SLX series.

Yep. I understand. That's why in my original post I tried to go with weight restrictions as a definition of small to medium. I am not restricted by length really..... But the weight that the Expedition will safely tow actually restricts the length probably. At least that is my guess.....

Thank you for the suggestion and reply. I will look at those units..