cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a scare today - water on the floor

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
The wife called me at work to tell me about it. She's doing some reorganizing in the trailer. The water is coming out from under the refrigerator. So I was dreading the mess to pull out the refrigerator instead of thinking about work stuff. I checked it at lunch. Turns out I forgot to turn off the refrigerator after our last trip about 3 weeks ago. It was set for 110 volt and the trailer has been plugged in the whole time. Ice would build up and it would thaw. The tray designed to catch the thaw was overflowing. I turned it off, drained the tray and cleaned up the mess I made in the process. The tray is actually about an inch and a half deep, and holds quite a bit of water. I'll have to be more careful.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
14 REPLIES 14

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine drains outside into the frig compartment and is caught and evaporates there
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 23 year old TT does not have a drain tube. There is just a tray under the evaporator coils on the back on the fridge. I have to remove and empty the tray once and awhile.

As a weekend camper I never need to do it except after I shut the fridge down on Sunday and it unthaws.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it could have waited till you got home. Glad it was not a problem.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Isn't it nice when you have a quick/simple/cheap fix?

And, wasn't it more fun to think about working on the RV than thinking about work stuff? Be honest. 🙂

Very true. OP- I'm glad it wasn't too serious. Thanks for the educational opportunity.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
I had a water on the floor scare last June. Travelling in Newfoundland, low temps (highs above, lows close to freezing) high humidity. Warm up that air with the furnace and you have warm humid air. That air, in contact with the 1 layer of aluminum wheel wells resulted in condensation. The condensation puddled on the floor in the cupboards and under the tub. Finally ran out on the floor on a particularly rainy travel day. Panic!

Wiped up the wet, after the trip I applied bubble type insulation to the aluminum. Might never get the same conditions, but who knows.

There's nothing like the feeling when you see water running accross the floor of your new trailer!

Ralph

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have a Norcold Fridge.
They have a =catch pan= next to stack/burner area that food section drip pan drain tube drains into.
Then heat from stack/burner area evaporate the accumulated condensation.

If fridge temp setting is on a 'warmer' setting then less heat generated.

Dometic Fridge routes drain tube outside *thru hole in floor of fridge compartment or via a clip attached to lower vent louvers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it nice when you have a quick/simple/cheap fix?

And, wasn't it more fun to think about working on the RV than thinking about work stuff? Be honest. 🙂

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Household refrigerators are designed to freeze, then melt, then the water is caught in a basin (catch pan) and then the heat from the refrigerator is suppose to evaporate the caught water, thus never having to empty the catch pan. Not sure if your's is suppose to do the same, but if humidity is really high impeding evaporation, I can sure see how it might fill up and over flow.

Glad it was nothing more. If you think this may be a problem again in the future, maybe, somehow you can rig up a drain line to catch in a larger bucket or even go outside somehow.

Good luck!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
........ I'll have to be more careful.

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself. It's not your fault. The manufacturer should have made that tray designed to catch the melt a little bit bigger, you know, in anticipation of the potential thaw. :W

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, what's up with the drain tube?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
This is like a mini fridge. I'll check if it has a drain and it's status tonight after work.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ideally the fridge drain tube would have allowed that water to drain out ... perhaps it's plugged?
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're a lucky man, indeed.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD