cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grab bar in shower question

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever mounted a grab bar in a TT shower successfully?
My wife has asked if it could be done, she has a knee problem and her stability/safety
Is a concern for me/us in the shower. I don't remember ever seeing one mounted in any rv. My thoughts would be the lack of something solid to secure it to.
Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Steve
11 REPLIES 11

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed on the suction cup handles attached to shower liners. Accident waiting to happen. Handles need to be screwed to something solid or not installed at all. If a person has a tendency to fall over (hence the need for the handle in the first place) then a seat in the show is probably the best solution.

That is only my opinion though.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The shower walls in RVs are typically very thin and flex easily so attaching something just to the shower wall is out.

You MUST anchor a grab bar to something solid in the wall like studs. As said above, you'd need to attach to an inside wall. May be possible but could involve a lot of work. Even if you could find studs, there may not be enough "meat" on them to put in the screws that are required for them. You could have 1x2 (not good) or 2x3 (good) in the walls.

Maybe if you posted a link to the layout in your camper it may help for suggestions.

They do make "grab poles" for use in a shower or bathtub. Google "shower grab pole" or "shower security pole". This might be an option.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The way they build some RV's that is a distinct possibility. If its a new unit and there is an adjacent outside wall, maybe the manufacturer can tell you where a stud is and you can drill right through to it, sealing the screw hole of course.

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the suction cup ones with no problem, try pulling it off, you will take the wall down with it

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Personally would not even consider the suction type bar....they do come loose and then you could have a real problem.

Our DS#1 has an assortment of health issues and uses a shower bench at home and we just take it with us when he comes along. He had the longer one that fit outside the tub, across and into the inside, but obviously that wasn't going to work in the TT. Headed for Walmart and they have a surprisingly complete home health products section. Think this one, which supports up to around 350# was around $23. We have the 34" corner shower and this fits perfectly. Think it would also be fine in the tub type, but if you have the smaller corner shower, likely should do some measurements.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
If you have smooth walls...

Moen Suction Assist Bar

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I use a stool that I picked up in the Wally World pharmacy area. Plastic seat and adjustable legs.

Maybe a expandable clothes hanger type rod from wall to wall. PVC pipe with 45 degree elbows somehow attached to larger flat surface and Gorilla glued in the corner. Just throwing out thoughts but I don't think either would really support much weight in case of a slip.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments...
John, your comment is well taken. I have thought of that however our shower is in the rear corner.
The grab bar I installed in our home shower sticks out about 3 inches or so and I would likely try to put it at one of the corners if possible, however I don't think it's possible given the lack of any substantial support.
Back to the drawing board...lol

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
If one of your trailer's bathroom walls is a inside wall, that is running front to back and can be accessed from the other side. A guy could place a Grab bar just out side of the shower's wall running up and down hand high. This bar could be bolted onto or threw a (say 3/8" thick) block of polycarbonate (Lexan--tough and water proof, threw the wall and into a finished Oak block, the same size or larger, on the other side. Think sandwiched between in order to spreading out the load. I would not go threw where the shower wall is, you'd be asking for trouble. Most Rv showers are not that big anyways, a bar would be sticking out to much and hinder movement.
John H

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
I've thought about that over the years. There are suction cup devices but the reviews of this type on Amazon are pretty dismal. I wouldn't trust one to stay it on a fiberglass surface. But I've never tried it.
The only Idea I've come up with is to secure the bar with short toggle bolts then use is to steady oneself but not to put ones full weight on it.
My wife, who is significantly handicapped, uses her walker in the shower for support.
Sometimes she uses a shower chair.
🙂

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately in all the RV's I've owned there just isn't anything substantial enough to attach them to.