cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Tetons experience anyone?

BroncoUp
Explorer
Explorer
Would love to hear peoples feedback on Camping at the Grand Tetons. Of course I already have my 2014 schedule filled for camping, but would love to know in advance what I need to do for 2015. Looks like you can only book 6 months out?

I also see (from the website) places where it says "Campsites are available on a first come basis", but driving from Oregon to Wyoming without a "reservation" doesn't sound like a fun and safe trip since I will be speeding and bypassing bladder warnings to beat the other trailers and RVs. lol

So any early advice from previous GT experiences would be great.

FYI..got a 35' Trailer, so I know I am already limited in sites to stay in.

Thanks for your input. (I know I could ask them, but I want the "real experience", not the scripted answers you get from reservation lines)
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC Turbo Diesel
2014 Jayco JayFlight 32RLDS
14 REPLIES 14

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We made reservations at Colter Bay RV Park last June and got a site near the back of the park, close to the lake. A more beautiful view would have been hard to find! We were lucky to get a fairly level site, some were not as level. The full hook-ups were a big plus but pricey. We loved the Colter Bay area and decided to stay a few extra days instead of traveling back up the very steep road to Yellowstone pulling the RV to Fishing Bridge. We moved to Colter Bay Campground nearby, which has non-reservable sites with out hookups. Much to our delight we got a site with electricity! They have upgraded about 14 sites with electric for ADA compliance. As long as they keep a few open for the handicapped they allow non-handicapped to rent some. By the way the weather was cold in June. Be prepared to run your heater.
Also, there were reports of bears in the campground but we never saw any.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bears should not be much danger as far as your sitting around the campsite. Just have a look around you once in a while, be aware of your surroundings.

Now, the mountain lions, though..... 😄 Just kidding!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm preparing to leave end of April for parts Teton and Yellowstone too from Florida. Gona take my sweet time; however -- Avoidcrowds mentioned national forest/parks.

My question is -- what about bears??? While I'd love nothing more than to be frugal I do have two big dogs (golden retriever/American Bulldog) who come equipped with "Bear Bells (a/k/a cowbells). Since I suspect weather will be rather cool, is it safe to "sit" outside the camper on a nice day? I watched way too many "When ________ Went Wild" documentaries...

I know I know -- In Florida I get the same question in reverse (where can I go where there aren't hurricanes"), so it's OK to laugh lolol...

Seriously though...
Thanks!
Newbienac

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Our trips are always around Labor Day or a little after. We've stayed at Colter Bay RV - note that Colter Bay has a full hookup RV side and a dry CG side - both are nice and will fit your size of rig. When we camped there we had a 35' TT. We've also stayed at Gros Ventre with this TT and loved it. Lots of moose at that time of year. On another trip back to that area, we decided to stay off the Togwotee Pass, towards Dubois, Wyoming at a FS CG with two loops that easily fit larger rigs. One loop has electricity and water, super nice to be in an isolated CG but with amenities. If you want to stay close in Gros Ventre, Colter Bay, or Flagg Ranch are your options. We stayed at Flagg Ranch years back when we had a 19' TT and it was ok. It's basically a big dirt area with trees.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.....on our 4th western trip we took our chances on getting a site in Grand Teton's ( one of the most beautiful places in the world) and we were able to get a site at the RV part with the hookups. We were able to get reservations for 2 nights online as we got closer to the Teton's and then when we got there the office people were so helpful.They were able to get us 2 more nights all at the same site. So we had a wonderful stay in one of my all time favorite places for 4 nights. The Grand Teton's truly are God's country. There is a wonderful bike/ walking path there also.
Enjoy!
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the woodsy Colter Bay RV Park (concession-run) last Sept. It is inside the park, fairly pricey for what you get, but does have hookups. It was fine, not outstanding, and the location, with ability to pre-reserve, suited us. It was full while we were there.

As pointed out before, this is not the same thing as the less expensive Colter Bay Campground.

The Colter Bay grocery, laundry and showers were large, useful facilities with plenty of parking.

BroncoUp
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, thanks for the great information and not giving me a hard time. I am new to rv.net and didn't realize there was a RV Parks & National Parks Forum.

really starting to enjoy this site for the information.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Or, if you are a tightwad like me, you can boondock in Shoshone NF, 12 miles east of Moran. Buffalo Valley road gets you close to N43.85616° W110.27992°. Right by the river, we had no neighbors. Easy, scenic drive to the Moran entrance of Grand Tetons.

If you want showers, you can go to the Colter Bay village, and they have showers (for a charge) and laundry. If you carry enough water that you don't need public showers, then you are set.

Have also stayed on Colter Bay CG. June, I think it was. Very little activity. Lots of open sites.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
not in the park but check out Slide Lake we had herd of buffalo and bk bears(not together)

BroncoUp
Explorer
Explorer
That is great information. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to making the trip. So far all my trips have been local in Oregon only whether to Central Oregon or the Oregon Coast since I only plan about 5 days away, but my hope is to make this trip a 10 day road trip from leaving to returning.

Thanks

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
For staying inside the park, Colter Bay and Gros Ventre are your choices.
Colter Bay has two types: park campground or concession run campground. you can make a reservation at the concession run campground and it has hookups. the park campground has a dump station and water and flush toilets.
I personally do not like Colter Bay because it is in a forest without views of the lake or anything but trees and campers. But that's just me. 🙂
Gros Ventre is bigger and well shaded but has more open with views of the mountains. It has water and dump station and toilets and is close to Jackson which we like. There are many sites you can fit into.
On both places, try to arrive on Tuesday, Weds, or Thursday, in mid morning to early afternoon.
Generally, you will not need a/c. You are allowed to run your genny from 8a.m. to 8p.m. and they hold you to that pretty tight.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We have done first come at both Colter Bay Camp Ground and Gros Ventre Campground in June without any problems. I like Gros Ventre Campground the best.
If this is your first trip to the Tetons, I would advise at least a week.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I camped at Gros Ventre campground. Awesome views of the Teton range and an occasional elk. We would go back in a heartbeat. Btw we were there in July. Easy access.

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Colter Bay Campground in mid Sep 2011 after working at Yellowstone. We did walk-in but had checked to see if they were busy then. The loop we were on was one way with sites on both sides of the road - we have a 37' travel trailer and chose one with the right orientation and size for our 3 slides.

It was easy to bike ride around to the sites.